• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for a Better Spotting Scope

77Bronc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2006
Louisiana
I have been using a Bass Pro Shop Redhead scope for years, purchased it on sale when I visited BPS in Houston...maximum magnification is 36X.

I am looking for something better and more power...considered the USO, and while it will be much better optically, only goes to 40X.

Kowa's can be had in a 60X and they look like a good option....are there any other suggestions?

Re: Looking for a Better Spotting Scope

do you need a reticle? I just picked up a Pentax and I'm very impressed!

My Vortex Viper HD has impressed me. Quality glass in a well constructed package. But it is heavy.

Do you want a reticle? Whats your price range? What power ranges are you wanting? It's all in the details...

Vortex Razor HD does it all, best value going. I'm working on some more pics and video for a full review but I'm thrilled with mine. I've owned them all at one time and very happy with the Razor.

Awesome glass, can get mil or moa reticle, up to 60x with regular eyepiece, camera/video adapter fairly cheap and more awesome glass.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3341814#Post3341814

Vortex Razor HD,

I have been leaving the Spotter60 home and using the Vortex. Both Mil and MOA reticles available plus optional Variable zoom eye pieces, it's a good piece of kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been leaving the Spotter60 home and using the Vortex. </div></div>
Hey Frank, If your getting tired of the Spotter 60, I'd be more than willing to take it off your hands.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using a Bass Pro Shop Redhead scope for years, purchased it on sale when I visited BPS in Houston...maximum magnification is 36X.

I am looking for something better and more power...considered the USO, and while it will be much better optically, only goes to 40X.

Kowa's can be had in a 60X and they look like a good option....are there any other suggestions?

77 </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">If you'll never need to use a reticle-equipped Eyepiece <span style="text-decoration: underline">AND</span> you want the absolute best image quality</span></span>, get an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">88mm Kowa Prominar (Angled Body)</span></span> or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">88mm Kowa Prominar (Straight Body)</span></span>.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">If you want the option of a (30X) Eyepiece equipped with a <span style="color: #FF0000">ROTATING MIL RETICLE</span></span> you have two choices - the <span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth S80 (Angled Body) HD Compact</span></span> or the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth S80 (Straight Body) HD Compact</span></span>. You can buy either Body separate or with the 20-60X Variable Eyepiece. The 30X MIL Reticle Eyepiece is optional. If you get off the bench and use a reticle-equipped spotter prone, a ROTATING RETICLE is VERY WELCOME. And when you turn the spotter within it's Collar the ROTATING RETICLE is required to keep the reticle square with the horizon and for calling impacts.

If you start with one Eyepiece I recommend that you get the 20-60X Variable for the better versatility (the Optolyth 30X WA Eyepiece is extremely clear and has a wide Field-of-View, but may be slow to find the target at close range). See my "review" of the Optolyth S80 HD Compact <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth S80 HD Spotting Scope</span></span>, where I contrast my Optolyth S80 HD Compact with 20-60X Variable against my Zeiss Diascope 65T FL with Zeiss 15-45X/20-60X Variable. I also wrote about the Optolyth 30X MIL Eyepiece.

I've used a Swarovski ATS 65, Swarovski ATM 65 HD, a Zeiss 65T FL, a Leupold 12-40X60 Golden Ring (no reticle), a Mark 4 12-40X[60mm] with Mildot reticle, a Bushnell Excursion FFP Tactical with Mildot reticle. I've also been able to compare a Razor HD [20-60X85mm] and a Zeiss 65T FL with Zeiss 15-45X/20-60X alongside my Optolyth S80 HD Compact with my 20-60X Eyepiece, and the S80 HD Compact has better image quality compared to the Leupolds, the Razor HD, and of course the Bushnell. However, the Swarovski and Zeiss 65mms' hold their own in all but the darkest light.

About using a reticle in a spotting scope: Normally, when an Eyepiece with a reticle is used on a spotting scope the scope must be positioned within it's mount and/or collar in manner that allows the reticle to still be oriented "square" with the target and/or horizon, allowing the target to be measured accurately and to allow accurate correction calls by an individual "spotting" for a shooter. Without the ability to compensate for a spotting scope's cant when placed on uneven ground and/or when the scope is rotated within it's collar, the reticle will often be skewed in relation to the target area/horizon.

However, if the reticle can be rotated within the Eyepiece itself (such as with the Optolyth MIL Eyepieces), the reticle can always be oriented to be square in relation to the target and/or horizon. This is highly desirable on a "straight" spotting scope, but indispensable for an angled spotting scope because the Eyepiece is at a 45-degree angle in relation to the Scope Body.

For illustrative purposes below are some photos of my Optolyth S80 (Angled) HD Compact spotting scope set-up for prone spotting. In the first two photos below the (45-degree angled) spotting scope has been rotated in it's Collar so that the Eyepiece and Reticle are at the 12:00 position and the reticle is "square to the horizon. This is the only position an Eyepiece with a non-rotating reticle actually aligns the reticle parallel with the horizon.

In the second and third photos the (45-degree angled) spotting scope has been rotated in it's Collar approximately 45-degrees to the Right. This would normally cause the reticle to sit at a 45-degree angle in relation to the target area. However, the reticle in the Eyepiece on the scope has been rotated approximately 45-degrees to the Left to keep the reticle perfectly aligned with the target area. In the fifth, sixth, and seventh photos the (45-degree angled) spotting scope has been rotated in it's Collar approximately 45-degrees to the Left. This would normally cause the reticle to sit at a 45-degree angle in relation to the target area. However, the reticle in the Eyepiece on the scope has been rotated approximately 45-degrees to the Right to keep the reticle perfectly aligned with the target area.

The eigth and ninth photos are through-the-scope photos shot hand-held in fading light, 90+ degree heat, and over a freeway, so there is a bit of mirage, crappy air, and camera shake that muddies the image a bit. They are not really respresentative of the image quality of an Optolyth HD, but they do show part of the Optolyth MIL reticle.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Angled" spotter set-up with Eyepiece at 12:00. This is the only position an Eyepiece with a non-rotating reticle actually aligns the
reticle parallel with the horizon. A "straight" spotting scope can fake a parallel horizon if rotated in 90 degree increments only:</span></span>
S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LROverheadSTRAIGHT8x6.jpg

S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRRSRASTRAIGHT8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + RRS BH-30 LR and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Here the scope is set-up to
the Left of the shooter/spotter. The spotting scope has been rotated to the Right within it's Collar, while the Eyepiece's Reticle has
been rotated to the Left to remain "square" with the target area:</span></span>
S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LROverheadRIGHT8x6.jpg

S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRRSFA18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + RRS BH-30 LR and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Here the scope is set-up to
the Right of the shooter/spotter. The spotting scope has been rotated to the Left within it's Collar, while the Eyepiece's Reticle has
been rotated to the Right to remain "square" with the target area:</span></span>
S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LROverheadLEFT8x6.jpg

S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRLSRA38x6.jpg

S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRLSFA28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Through-the-scope photo of Optolyth 30X Wide Angle MIL Reticle Eyepiece. The "+" at -5 MILs' Elevation is at 1,032 yards:</span></span>
DSCN24938x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Crappy, off-center, through-the-scope photo of the Optolyth MIL-based "Ranging" Reticle:</span></span>
DSCN23958x6.jpg

Also, you posted this thread in the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Sniper's Hide Rifle Scopes"</span></span> Section. Posting in the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Sniper's Hide Observation Devices"</span></span> Section would have been more appropriate and might get more (but not necessarily better), replies.

Keith

I was in the same situation about 4 months ago. I was leaning real hard towards the Vortex Viper HD. I called Jay at Sportoptics and he talked me into the Razor HD. After getting it and using it for a while, I finally met up with some people that had the Viper HD and a Leupold spotter. While the Viper HD and Leupold are more compact and lighter I felt the glass in my Razor HD was better. My number 1 priority in my spotter was the best glass for the money, and I feel that the Razor is just that. The added bonus is that you can get moa or mil reticles for them. I'm super happy that Jay talked me into the Razor.

I heard great things about the Zen-Ray ED2 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope

RazorHD. Recticle does not rotate but that is my only real complaint. Just have to make sure you rotate the body in 90 degree increments if you want a square recticle.

I have an older Leica Televid 77 that has treated me great for around 9-10 years. Adjustable eye piece 20-60x.

There are many others on this site who can provide you with much more experienced insight on this than I can. However, having gone through a process of buying multiple lower-end spotting scopes only to end up continually disappointed, I decided to try the Pentax 80ED with a 20-60 XF Zoom eye piece. There was a remarkable difference both in clarity and general function. Apparently from the objective reviews I read the 65 ED is similarly rated very high. The cost of the 80 ED with eye piece is going to run around $1100.. yeah not cheap. However, I had more money already invested in the aggregate amount of dough i coughed up on all the mediocre ones i purchased. And actually, when compared to some other higher end scopes the $1100 is cheap ($2000 - $3000). My experience, in itself, does not necessarily mean it is necessary to spend a grand to get the performance you are looking for. Given my limited skill/experience all of my shooting is currently 500 yds or less, and with this scope I have yet to experience a situation where I was even close to being disappointed. From my research it was apparent that the new "ED" glass is a major variable in enhancing clarity.

I should note that weather conditions can have a significant effect on visibility, but that goes without saying. For the money, I would recommend the Pentax 80ED without reservation - at least for a neophyte like me.

Hope this helps