• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for a chevy truck forum

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
i have been driving a ford since 96 but the last 2 fords ( 2 brand new 2020 super duties in 18 months) i had fucked me off so bad i bought a chevy. this is a work truck for my business so i don't have time to play fuck fuck games with shit box trucks that won't shift or stay running. i tried doing a google search for "chevy forum" and it doesn't seem like there is much out there. i found a few, but they seem to be slow moving forums. does anyone know of one that i am missing?

please don't make this a ford/chevy shit show, even though i kinda already went there lol.

20220420_125936.jpg

20220420_125901.jpg

20220420_125920.jpg

Reactions: crackerbrown
I think GM-trucks.com is the big one.

I dont see duramax badges on it so assume gas engine...

But if duramax then duramaxforum.com

That's why I ordered a super duty with the 7.3 gasser.
Hope ford hits a home run with that, but it's a new motor and way less proven than the ls/lt line. That being said, i cannot even begin to like newer vehicles. Somewhere around 2006 is my cutoff. I would rather build something, however i have the ability. I do however like the newer vehicle mileage, seems impressive over even just 10 years ago.

I'll ask my ex BIL tonite, he's had GM trucks for years but not all that computer savvy and never had an issue with one that I'm aware of.

My F150 is 20yrs old this year, the only "issue" was to replace the fuel pump a couple of years back which required dropping the tank - supercrew, it's located under the cab. My daughter and her BF managed it, plus changed out plugs and coils. Last year for that engine, the next one caused all kind of heartache. Averaged 12.5mpg in those 20yrs, good thing I don't drive it much! :D

Nice truck, OP. My neighbor bought the Duramax version 2 years ago. Drives it everyday, occasionally tows a big fifth wheel with it, and says he loves it. 17 years ago he went through the Ford 6.0 debacle and switched to Dodges for three trucks then bought the Chevy because he couldn't find a Dodge due to Covid shortages.

I'll ask my ex BIL tonite, he's had GM trucks for years but not all that computer savvy and never had an issue with one that I'm aware of.
Well, I txt'd him instead, he's never had use for one for his trucks.

Diesel place has a gasser section. Its slow, but their are some knowledgeable people floating around there.

Curious what issue you had with the Fords Diesels?

That's why I ordered a super duty with the 7.3 gasser.
Diesel place has a gasser section. Its slow, but their are some knowledgeable people floating around there.

Curious what issue you had with the Fords Diesels?
the '20 f250 7.3 gasser 10spd was first new truck that only lasted 2200 miles. it wouldn't shift. it would stay stuck in gear, wouldn't shift up or down. pulling a 5000lb stump grinder up hills, i had the pedal to the floor, in tow/haul mode, and it would stay stuck in gear and lose speed. it would also down shift then hold that gear literally for miles screaming at the top of the rpms even when the road would flatten out and it should have shifted. not to mention immediately had bump steer and death wobble. that truck was so under sprung in the rear that the trailer steered the front of the truck on the highway. then on to the '20 f350 6.7...

tcm computer died in dec. the 1st turbo died in early february. since receiving it back in early february with a new turbo, it has been in the shop for; mass air flow sensor, map sensor, 2 egr, and a 2nd turbo (at this point, it is late march). according to the alerts i receive on my phone every time i get a check engine light, the common theme seems to be over boost, egr and air flow problems. but of course i do not have the exact error codes that ford sees. i had 16 check engine light alerts in march, and 4 in february. for most of these issues, the truck was operational and i was able to drive it while waiting on parts. the truck just didn't run correctly (down on power, throttle hesitation, crappy shifting) but was serviceable. i sold it to the dealer april 4th while the 2nd turbo was on back order with an ETA of april 19th-ish because i was tired of waiting for it to get fixed. the dealer was actually being proactive and not putting me off like most dealers do. when the title came in for the f350 6.7 and i was able to pick up my check, they said the turbo was bad from the get go and had to order ANOTHER fucking turbo! 3 fucking turbos!!! lol what a joke. now, im not sure how they determined the turbo was bad or how far they got into the repair before they realized it was bad. they said the turbo is on indefinite back order with no ETA for replacement. so $70k is just sitting there on their lot cuz ford can't get their shit together. i am so glad i got out of that truck. i had the f350 6.7 for 18 months, 19k miles.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GreenGO Juan
Hope ford hits a home run with that, but it's a new motor and way less proven than the ls/lt line. That being said, i cannot even begin to like newer vehicles. Somewhere around 2006 is my cutoff. I would rather build something, however i have the ability. I do however like the newer vehicle mileage, seems impressive over even just 10 years ago.
my search criteria was 2000-2010 for an older truck. i did find some that were around '14-'16 with 30k-ish miles. but in todays market, $55k for a 7 year old truck with 30k miles, or $55k for a new one.

i was fortunate that a buddy of mine would let me borrow a truck a few days a week so i could get something done so i had a good feel for the chevy 6.6 gasser. albeit it was a 3500 with a utility body and a ladder rack, but i was still able to get a feel for it.

in the long run, i should have kept my '08 f350 5.4 gasser king ranch instead of trading it in aug of '20 for the f250. the only reason i got rid of it was it needed $8k for state inspection. 4 tires, rotors and pads up front, a new bed, and a new front end to chase the death wobble that would come back every 25k-ish miles. i figured why should i dump $8k into a 12 year old truck with over 100k miles what i could put that towards a down payment. oh well...

I hope so also, but I dont work my trucks that hard so I am expecting good things.

The 7.3 motor has a ton of LS like parts in it. The lifters look identical... Unfortunately they also seem to have the same issues as LS lifters have(to small of a wheel and not enough meat supporting the axle)... The oil pump is chain driven vs. crank snout driven like the LS oil pump. I think there have already been issues and the oil pump is a culprit... But Ford doesnt seem to have oil pumps figured out yet LOL(looking at the 5.0 flat plane crank engine)... MOST of the 7.3 issues I have seen have been the 7.3 in a motorhome or other chassis where the motor is de-tuned... I think that tune is fucked... I think the trans tune in the superduty from the factory is garbage...but again, most Ford trans tunes are utter shit. You drive THE SAME TRANSMISSION in a GM product and the trans tuning is incredible... So ill likely get a tuner on my truck pretty quick, more for the trans tuning, as I dont have any desire to run 93 octane in my truck for a "performance" gain...unless I put a blower on it LOL.

But a few guys who are using the engines for drag racing motors are making INCREDIBLE power with them and say its a great foundation. There are lots of parts coming out for them also similar to the LS aftermarket. One guy was making like 1500hp on a drag motor with the factory mains.... now they have billet mains out for the motor. I think Callies is making cranks.

the '20 f250 7.3 gasser 10spd was first new truck that only lasted 2200 miles. it wouldn't shift. it would stay stuck in gear, wouldn't shift up or down. pulling a 5000lb stump grinder up hills, i had the pedal to the floor, in tow/haul mode, and it would stay stuck in gear and lose speed. it would also down shift then hold that gear literally for miles screaming at the top of the rpms even when the road would flatten out and it should have shifted. not to mention immediately had bump steer and death wobble. that truck was so under sprung in the rear that the trailer steered the front of the truck on the highway. then on to the '20 f350 6.7...

Ford trans tuning is utter shit. I wont argue with you on that. Same transmissions in GM products have great trans tuning. Nothing an aftermarket tune cant fix, but shouldnt need to.

And there is a recall on the early 10R140 gasser transmissions for some internal parts failures... I think 2020 into early 21 production.

As to the bump steer and death wobble, I have read a lot on these trucks leaving the factory with shit caster(which is a leading initiator of death wobble) like 2 degrees or some dumb fucking number like that. So when I get my truck I will have my alignment guy throw it on his rack and check it and if needed ill grab some caster shims for like 50 bucks and throw them in to get caster to a more reasonable range. Again, Ford shouldnt let that shit out of the factory like that. I think 5 degrees is about MINIMUM on an solid axle truck designed to go down the road...

That's too bad for OP, my 2020 F350 Diesel has been perfect for 30k. Trans has been flawless also.

I hope so also, but I dont work my trucks that hard so I am expecting good things.

The 7.3 motor has a ton of LS like parts in it. The lifters look identical... Unfortunately they also seem to have the same issues as LS lifters have(to small of a wheel and not enough meat supporting the axle)... The oil pump is chain driven vs. crank snout driven like the LS oil pump. I think there have already been issues and the oil pump is a culprit... But Ford doesnt seem to have oil pumps figured out yet LOL(looking at the 5.0 flat plane crank engine)... MOST of the 7.3 issues I have seen have been the 7.3 in a motorhome or other chassis where the motor is de-tuned... I think that tune is fucked... I think the trans tune in the superduty from the factory is garbage...but again, most Ford trans tunes are utter shit. You drive THE SAME TRANSMISSION in a GM product and the trans tuning is incredible... So ill likely get a tuner on my truck pretty quick, more for the trans tuning, as I dont have any desire to run 93 octane in my truck for a "performance" gain...unless I put a blower on it LOL.

But a few guys who are using the engines for drag racing motors are making INCREDIBLE power with them and say its a great foundation. There are lots of parts coming out for them also similar to the LS aftermarket. One guy was making like 1500hp on a drag motor with the factory mains.... now they have billet mains out for the motor. I think Callies is making cranks.
Got ya. I know the ford guys on another forum were drooling over it early on. Then they also like to claim that the ls is just a bunch of stolen ford ideas and the other side of their mouth they bash ls. Pretty funny. “Push rods are for dinosaur motors, ohc is the way of the future “ then get bonered up with a large displacement pushrod motor. I am not calling the ford camp the most retarded , but bless their little harts they try!!!

I like the Yoda as well....They sure hold a good edge on the market no doubt. They don't have a diesel motor USA model, nor anything truly capable 1:1 to compete with a "1 Ton SRW" truck.

I like the Yoda as well....They sure hold a good edge on the market no doubt. They don't have a diesel motor USA model, nor anything truly capable 1:1 to compete with a "1 Ton SRW" truck.
Correct. Its sad. However you can import older trucks that do, well, they are suv’s usually, still no competition, but great vehicles.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Yep...When we first dropped into AFG, all the "fellas" had BEAT to shit Tacomas that never seemed to have issues. Half my flight company all bought Tacomas when we returned to the states. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Jgunner
Got ya. I know the ford guys on another forum were drooling over it early on. Then they also like to claim that the ls is just a bunch of stolen ford ideas and the other side of their mouth they bash ls. Pretty funny. “Push rods are for dinosaur motors, ohc is the way of the future “ then get bonered up with a large displacement pushrod motor. I am not calling the ford camp the most retarded , but bless their little harts they try!!!

I will say Ford has a product that GM and Dodge cant touch in the gas 3/4 and 1 ton truck market. If they would update their engines and transmissions they could compete on the gasser HD market better. I think there are enough people who are tired of all the BS associated with diesel and if they dont absolutely need it, they are looking HARD at the gas motors...and I think, for now, Ford has that category won.

The chevy 6.6 isnt stellar and its still mated to a 6spd... and the final drive gear choice is 3.73... and until the updated interior hits the 2500's you have like a what, 10 year old interior with abysmal infotainment. Independent front isnt bad but isnt great. I had a 2500 Denali Duramax for a while...it had the chevy shake from the factory. A set of Bilsteins calmed that down.

The Dodge 2500/3500 6.4l hemi is a gas hog and from I have heard not a fantastic engine overall...the trans is nice, the zf8 is a great trans. I think gear ratio choices are 3.73 and 4.10 so at least you have a little choice there. My buddy has a gas 2500 powerwagon and he gets 11mpg unloaded... Solid axles front and rear is nice. I think the interior might be "nicer" than the Ford and definitely the Chevy, although Dodge/Ram has always used sub-par materials.

The Ford 2500/3500 with 7.3 and 10spd is a great combo...You can get 3.55 gears, 3.73, 4.10's or 4.30's depending on your configuration. 4.30's come in a much beefier housing(4" tubes vs. 3.5") and larger ring gear(10.8 vs. 10.5") that the diesel 3500's get(I think the diesel 2500's still get the smaller rear end). Solid axles front and rear is nice... Dana Super60 front end is legendary front axle. Interior is decent. Its a bit dated, but the 12" screen in 2022 is pretty dang nice.

I will say Ford has a product that GM and Dodge cant touch in the gas 3/4 and 1 ton truck market. If they would update their engines and transmissions they could compete on the gasser HD market better. I think there are enough people who are tired of all the BS associated with diesel and if they dont absolutely need it, they are looking HARD at the gas motors...and I think, for now, Ford has that category won.

The chevy 6.6 isnt stellar and its still mated to a 6spd... and the final drive gear choice is 3.73... and until the updated interior hits the 2500's you have like a what, 10 year old interior with abysmal infotainment. Independent front isnt bad but isnt great. I had a 2500 Denali Duramax for a while...it had the chevy shake from the factory. A set of Bilsteins calmed that down.

The Dodge 2500/3500 6.4l hemi is a gas hog and from I have heard not a fantastic engine overall...the trans is nice, the zf8 is a great trans. I think gear ratio choices are 3.73 and 4.10 so at least you have a little choice there. My buddy has a gas 2500 powerwagon and he gets 11mpg unloaded... Solid axles front and rear is nice. I think the interior might be "nicer" than the Ford and definitely the Chevy, although Dodge/Ram has always used sub-par materials.

The Ford 2500/3500 with 7.3 and 10spd is a great combo...You can get 3.55 gears, 3.73, 4.10's or 4.30's depending on your configuration. 4.30's come in a much beefier housing(4" tubes vs. 3.5") and larger ring gear(10.8 vs. 10.5") that the diesel 3500's get(I think the diesel 2500's still get the smaller rear end). Solid axles front and rear is nice... Dana Super60 front end is legendary front axle. Interior is decent. Its a bit dated, but the 12" screen in 2022 is pretty dang nice.

Can't look at gears unless you look at all the trans gears also. Looking at just axle gears isn't very telling.

My 6.0, 6spd with 4.10s pulls hard compared to my 6.0 4spd 4.10 truck. But it has a deeper first gear, better splits, and an extra overdrive.

I buy trucks for the truck part. My 16 is the only one I've had so far that has carpet floors. I miss the vinyl.
I also gut the dash and go with aftermarket headunit, amps, speakers, subs.... so I'm not paying extra for a "better" factory entertainment system. I just want music, and I want it to sound good.

I'm probably not the average buyer, but I've had too many Ford's for work trucks that were constantly in the shop to ever spend my own money on them.