• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a close<->mid range .308 stuck between 2 rifles.

fred650

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
SW Idaho
Hey guys,

I've narrowed my choice to either the M1A Scout or the Bushmaster ORC .308. Not looking for a high end .308 as I already have one. Narrowed it down to these 2 because 1. Caliber, I want to stick with .308 and not have to stack yet another caliber and 2. Price point, I want to stay under $1600.

This will be for hunting boar and plinking at the range. I've been doing some research but I'm wanting to hear opinions on people who own these rifles or have shot them, what did you like? what did you not like?

Which of these 2 would you go with?

M1A all the way. No question. If you aren't married to a semi-auto, perhaps the Savage Hog Hunter would fit the bill. It's a 20 inch .308 with a 1/10 twist and an oversize bolt knob. Not a bad setup.

M1Amen

I would easily go with the M1A over a Bushy any day. Its a classic, Way more fun, can be as accurate, and a hell of a lot better looking than about any black rifle. For your reference I have an M1A and several AR15s and 10.

Between the 2 M1A hands down, long proven system. Scout with a 1-4X scope for hogs would be ideal, sometime you need the quick follow up shot with bore's.

You've narrowed it down to two completely polar opposite rifles?

I'd keep shopping...

You have not seen my lrb 18.5" jae stocked m14 in the classifieds?

M1a Scout is heavy but still handy and well balanced. Have had four Springfields and liked them all but now have just the Scout with a Leupold 2-8 Handgun scope on it.

Wow I'm shocked that M1Amen would recommend the Springer over a Bushmaster. ;)

I vote that way too. The M1A scout is a sweet setup. I'm not impressed with anything Shrubmaster does or makes.

I have a M&P 10 as my short range and Have been working on hand loads for my BlackRain 308. Smith and Wesson M&P10 has a 1/10 twist with a 18" barrel. Perfect for hog hunting. Retail on smith is $1600.
I have a vortex pst 1-4x on the M&P10 and can easily bang steal 300-400 yards. I have not had a chance to take it longer than that.
With my hand loads I have had 5 shot groups slightly better than .5 moa at 100 with the BlackRain. Have a refined set of loads ready for the next range trip. I expect much better than .5 on this trip because I reworked the loads around my last trips successful groupings.
AR's are more customizable, M1A is Nostalgic many love that model rifle with their sole. I enjoy the AR platform benefits more than the M1A's. Either one will be more than Adequate for the job you're asking it to do.
Buy Both if you can't make up your mind! You won't really know the answer to our question until you have owned both.

I'm not sure which I would get........

Given that extremely biased view above, I would say if you want to shoot irons, get your self an M1A and a sling and learn to shoot irons, I am vehemently opposed to glass on an M1A, and that is my personal opinion, so for those of you that do it, fine, your money, your gun.

If you intend on glass, you may want to go with an AR platform, as the cheekweld will be something you can actually do something productive with, and for some folks looking for some sort of laser like accuracy from a semi, the AR will get you there a bunch cheaper.

I actually have a Socom that I tapped the huge rear sight for a hooded screw in sight off an AR, I can screw a .048 sight in it and shoot, (not competitively, but stay in the black) from the 600 line on a high power target, and have shot my Scout at 600 many times with the factory sights. That will generally carry the eight ring all day long, but it's so light it beats the living daylights outta me.

I've had two AR platform 308's, and ended up selling out of them to collect a stable of M1A's, and I now only have that type semi-gun, it's the one for me, and I want magazine conformity, I don't have any other 308 mag's that I could mistakenly try to jam in one of my rifles.

Tough choice.

Good luck!!

sean

while the ar style 308 is probably an "easier way out" the m1a/m14 series of riffles do leave a certain satisfaction when set up for success. which others have pointed out already, is often difficult and costly. irons are great but getting glass on top of an m14 is no magic voodoo. see attached pictures.

this one is still for sale. like pointed out.... due to cost, its no exactly flying off the shelf.

make no mistake, i would never sell and m14 if i didn't have another one waiting in the safe. the ar10/dpms are tempting, especially with the new maten keymod but if i had to choose. i would keep the m14/m1a

still having trouble getting my pictures out of thumbnail form to full size....any help?

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Your killing me. I saw your 16" extended riffle lenght mkm in another thread and I have been drooling ever since. You have any more pics of that setup you could besto on us?

I grew up shooting Garands and M1As. I have a double lugged Smith Receivered, Kreiger Barreled M14S NM that will make nickel sized groups at 100 yards all day long. I had that rifle built 20 years ago for $1500.

That same rifle today would cost $4,000, a 308 AR that will produce the same accuracy can be had for $1500.

I would build up a 308 AR with a good barrel and a free float tube and outshoot any M1A you could buy for $2,000 or less.

I used to not like 308 ARs and while I can't speak directly to the Bushmaster ORC I can say that a DPMS pattern 308 AR with a good barrel has proven to be quite a performer for me and I am now a believer after 20 years of poopooing AR10s in favor of my beloved M1As/M14s.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply guys. I've been busy with work.

That same rifle today would cost $4,000, a 308 AR that will produce the same accuracy can be had for $1500.

I would build up a 308 AR with a good barrel and a free float tube and outshoot any M1A you could buy for $2,000 or less.

Already have a high end AR 308. I'm looking for something that isn't a heavy bench gun like my other AR308 is.

I like the Scout squad better, reason I wanted the Bushmaster 308 was because my other AR308 already uses Magpul dpms type pattern 308 magazines and I could use the same mags for both. I also like the midlength barrel profile ( I hate the 16" carbine length gas systems)

Honestly, what I don't like about the Bushmaster is....... well...... the name. Not that I care about brands but Bushmaster doesn't have the best reputation. When I think quality AR, Bushmaster is not at the top of the list.

As Razor74 suggested I plan on a 1-4x, maybe the Trijicon type or the aimpoint setup.

Last edited:
How loud is that puppy with that compensator? :)

What kinda comp is that? Nice gun! is that the Noveske NSR rail? What length?

PRI Quiet Comp, haven't shot it yet. Will be taking it to the range for the first time on Saturday. This comp should be any worse than the SJC Titan on my Long-range AR 308.

7114667657_7796774d0c_c.jpg

Not a Noveske NSR, this is a Mega MATEN MKM which is an Upper with matched handguard in 14".

img_4679.jpg

Last edited:
If you "already have" a High end 308 semi:, get an M1A. I have an M1A Loaded. a guy shot "better than me", with a scout. Ex-Marine SOBs Know how to shoot. They DESERVE our respect! It's a GREAT rifle. Close in, it would be my first pick. It's lite. I've got a GA Precision 308, and a TRG-42, and a DPMS SASS. If I was "going to a gun fight", I'd take my M1A, and my Rock river 556. Just me, Josh.Oh, and my Colt 45 would be on my hip!

Have you considered a CETME 308. Lots of these on the market right now, and they make excellent shooters in the right configuration.

Behold the HOG Slayer - It took me years to warm up to the Stoner AR pattern rifles but now I own six of them but for Hogs the M1A Scout is handy and with the long eye relief scope you can shoot with both eyes open - good on follow ups. The AR in 308 is not as handy.
Just one mans opinion here.