• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for a Conceal Carry

TalkingBush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I've been thinking about getting a new pistol and am stumped. I want it to be rugged, affordable, reliable, and ammo relatively inexpensive. I'm tossed up between calibers, also.

I've always loved .45 and the 1911, but the 1911 is too expensive to lose and can be finicky with ammo. I'm thinking about a Glock, but will have to test fire to decide on fullsize vs compact. I will also use this pistol in competitions.

Re: Looking for a Conceal Carry

I would go with either a glock 19(9mm)23(40s&w)or 32(357sig) I love the size of these pistols and I think that they could easily multi task between a CC and a Comp pistol.. a glock 32 is going to be my next pistol purchase.. hope this helps

Go to a range that rents handguns and try out a few. If a Glock is in the running there are many good choices. The minis and full sized are good choices. I have a G36 in a Sparks VMII that absolutely disappears when carried. But a good holster does that to a 1911 also.

What about caliber? I'm a .45 fan for sheer stopping power, but what about quick follow up shots for competition and mag capacity? What's the size difference in a fullsize vs compact? Subcompact is probably too small. I will definitely rent a few, but just wanted to get opinions first.

G36 is .45, as is the 21. The 21 is pretty big for carry.

I'm not saying it has to be .45. I am open to 9mm or .40, too. What are the advantages of each?

glock 36 is a .45acp and I think that the mag capacity is 6+1
glock 19 is a 15+1
glock 23 and 32 is a 13+1

go to glock.com and look at the technical data on the website the .380,9mm,40 and 357 glocks are all going to be the same size weather the full size or compact

LENGTH (full size)
186 mm / 7.32 in.
HEIGHT
138 mm / 5.43 in.

LENGTH (compact)
174 mm / 6.85 in.
HEIGHT
127 mm / 5.00 in.

the glock 36 .45acp is what they call a slimline
LENGTH
172 mm / 6.77 in.
HEIGHT
121 mm / 4.76 in.

IMO the subcompact is going to be too small to use as both a CC and a Comp gun. the recoil is considerably more then the compact version. the 40 and 357 are more of a "snappy" type felt recoil and where as the 45acp is more of a "push"
as far as what caliber to choose is really up to you, you could ask 10 different people the same question and get 12 different answers. some will say 9mm because of the cost effectiveness ie. (more rounds down range better practice) some will say the good ole tried and true .45acp because of the size.then some will say the 40s&w because it was made for the F.B.I and the 357.sig for the Secret service.. the lists go on and on. hopefully you are fortunate enough to live close to a range that rents pistols or maybe have a buddy or relative that has access to a number of different guns and calibers.

The 19/23's are IMO the most versatile carry glocks. The 26/27 you don't really gain anything and loose capacity, especially if you run a mag extension to get your pinky finger something to grip.

The .45 glocks are pretty thick, a couple tenths of an inch in thickness are much more important to how well it conceals than barrel or grip length. I've never spent much time with a G36 but I've heard mixed reviews on how reliable they are. I've heard the G36 is the only glock local LEO's cannot carry due to reliability issues. Some of the .40 glocks also have had issues but mostly when used with a laser/light attached.

Caliber choice is a huge vastness of insanity to try and figure out and everyone has a very strong opinion on which is best. Do a little reading, and make a decision and stick with it. If shot placement is good, any of them will do the job. Personally I like the .40's but I have owned and carried 9mm and .45's and they all have their advantages and downsides. For ease of shooting, quick follow up shots, and low ammo cost the 9mm is hard to beat.

As for using it for competition, I would decide how you want to compete and why. If you just want to use it as training and more practice for your carry gun then don't worry much about how well it is suited for competition.

If you want to get into serious competition to compete I'd recommend getting a pure carry gun first and then get a competition gun down the road. Typically the best carry guns are not the best competition guns and vice versa.

I'm not a Glock guy, but the Glock 19 is a great carry gun and usually shoots better that it should. Makes a great IDPA gun maybe not so much IPSC/USPSA but it's probably the most versatile. Also if you don't reload ammo is far cheaper for 9mm than 45 or 40. It conceals a lot better than the 45 Glocks. And with a quality JHP like Winchester Range or Speer Gold Dot esp. the plus P versions your not giving up a lot of power. Can usually found around the 5 to 550 mark new and 350-450 used. Good friend of mine has 62k documented rounds through his. He's replaced Springs and one extractor and that's it. Grat guns.

You have gotten some excellent advice so far on this question. I'll just add that what is golden for some may be a pile of crap for others. In other words, until you get the pistols you are considering in your hands (and it is even better if you get a chance to actually shoot them), you'll never know what will be best for YOU.

Some guns look great on paper and on the spec sheet, but once you have them in hand are anything but ideal in terms of how they fit you, the operation of the pistol, etc., etc.

Also, don't make the mistake that many people make about caliber selection. Bigger doesn't always mean better. In fact, with modern personal defense ammo selections, a 9mm makes an adequate concealed carry option even though it still won't have the same terminal performance of something in the .45acp range. It all comes down to what you are most comfortable with, what you can control adequately in a self-defense (or competition) setting, and deploy effectively in a situation that is completely unlike plinking at your local range. Whatever you get, train with it, train with it some more and when you think you have trained enough...yep, you guessed it...keeping training. Don't be one of those people who ends up causing more harm than good in a situation where you have to actually use your CCW.

Finally, as for the size of the pistol itself...that will depend almost soley on your size and ability to conceal it. While there are people out there who could probably conceal a full-size, double-stack 45acp pistol, most people will need something smaller. Again, how much smaller depends on you and your body type, how you plan to carry (OWB, IWB, SOB, etc.), the clothing you plan to be wearing while carrying, and so on.

As for the Glocks...they are excellent pistols well-suited to the personal defense/concealed carry role. The problem is...if you settle on the .45acp you only get to chose between the full-size 21 (or 21SF...neither are easy to carry concealed) and the sub-compact 30 and 36SF. If you go with a 9mm or 40S&W, you can get into the compact models (the "tweener" size pistols) like the G19 and G23.

Just some food for thought. Good luck in your search and let us know how you are progressing.

I have a taurus millenium in .45acp I took as partial payment for a job I did.
I will sell it for $300. I took it out at fired 40rnds through it last weekend to make it worked good. Was using hollow points. It never missed a beat.

I still have a scar on the web of my hand from the Glock 36 I did my concealed carry class with years ago. It has a pretty sharp recoil and the gun just didn't fit my hands well, and I have normal average size hands.
Now if you are confident in your ability to hit your target, and capacity isn't that big a concern, then a Walther PPS in 9mm(or 40) is just the ticket, IMO. Depending on the mags, it holds 6+1 or 7+1 and dissappears under a tshirt and shorts, with the right holster. I just can't hide/carry a 1911 in Texas in the summertime. Look at the PPS. It will surprise you how well it shoots.

ETA, I justsaw the part about comp. Disregard my opinion. PPS will never be a comp gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, as for the size of the pistol itself...that will depend almost soley on your size and ability to conceal it. While there are people out there who could probably conceal a full-size, double-stack 45acp pistol, most people will need something smaller. Again, how much smaller depends on you and your body type, how you plan to carry (OWB, IWB, SOB, etc.), the clothing you plan to be wearing while carrying, and so on.</div></div>
ORD, this is a little off topic, but still relating to concealed carry: How important is it to have your pistol TOTALLY concealed. I obviously don't carry (God bless Illinois), but I've always wonder, "So what if someone knew I was carrying."

If you like the feel of 1911s, try out a compact Springfield XD in 9mm. The ammo is cheap, the gun is relatively inexpensive, holsters (and therefore carry options) are plentiful, the gun will be lighter in weight and higher in capacity than a 1911, and it doesn't have the awkwardness that a lot of people find in Glocks.
I personally have a Smith & Wesson compact M&P in .40 and I love it, but I'm a big fan of the Springfield XD line as well. I can shoot a full-size XD .45 just as well as I can a 1911. All this is my personal experience, ymmv and all that; but try out one of the 4" XDs. You may just fall in love.

If you don't have it narrowed down, the poster who told you to go to a rental range and try a bunch gave great advice. You also want to look at how you dress if you are planning on carrying full time. A full sized service pistol is a hard thing to put on a hip with a shirt over it and not print pretty noticeably. I live in Florida, so coats are out. I carry on my ankle or in a shorts pocket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, as for the size of the pistol itself...that will depend almost soley on your size and ability to conceal it. While there are people out there who could probably conceal a full-size, double-stack 45acp pistol, most people will need something smaller. Again, how much smaller depends on you and your body type, how you plan to carry (OWB, IWB, SOB, etc.), the clothing you plan to be wearing while carrying, and so on.</div></div>
ORD, this is a little off topic, but still relating to concealed carry: How important is it to have your pistol TOTALLY concealed. I obviously don't carry (God bless Illinois), but I've always wonder, "So what if someone knew I was carrying." </div></div>

I consider it a big deal...the point of concealed carry is the CONCEALED part. In addition to the safety/security issues, and the element of not wanting the mass of sheeple out there to know that I am carrying or why, some state laws require concealment which may be defined as more than just "covered up." By having a pistol on your person that is either visible in part or the print of a pistol is visisble through a shirt/jacket/etc. may get you into legal trouble. The reasons go on and on, but that is the basics.

fortunately i live in an "open carry "state (for know )!!! so i carry a large glock . concealed of course and was surprised how concealed i could get it . i do also shoot comp / timed at the local range and shoot a 10mm in glock 20sf. thinner than normal g20 and can be loaded up or down depending on application. 135 light for bangin steel . 180hot(ish) for defense . just another thought.

I want a Sig P220 Carry with GEN-2 melt. Light .45 and full grip. Reliable and quite light weight too. I had a P226 many years ago and it was a TANK and ate any ammo it was fed. It's such a personal choice - you've got to go shoot and purchased based on what you're going to use it for. You may indeed need 2 guns and what's wrong with that?
smile.gif

I carry a G36 with a clip draw. Disappears when in SOB. I'd consider it a tad bit much to hang onto for competition work & the mag capacity isn't what I'd consider optimal for competition use.

If you are using it for competition then you might want to think about 9mm as ammo is less costly with less recoil. More practice for the $. The G19 is a nice compromise for size instead of a G17 or a G26.

For carry use with a 9mm I like the Federal +P+ 9mm ammo in my G26.

Yes - I'm a Glockhead and love them. HOWEVER - does the Glock fit your hand well? Are the ergonomics comfortable for you?

I carried a Glock 36 for about a year. Decent gun...didn't find it bad to shoot. I switched to a 1911 officer size about 8 months ago and find it conceals and wears better than the 36 for me due to the width. The 1911 just fits me better and I shoot it better.

I usually carry a G19, but I've been carrying an HK P7 lately (again) and I'm actually considering selling my Glock. The HK P7 really is a joy to carry--not too heavy, thin, and super concealable, as well as being safe, single action, and a real joy to shoot.

just abit off topic but Downzero you mentioned that you carry a P7.. with it being a squeeze cock gun.. does it take some getting used to? I mean drawing,cocking,aiming firing.. does it take a great effort to get it cocked? I have always thought of them neat guns but just have no experience with them..

I'm not Downzero, but in my experience, the P7 doesn't take a whole lot of getting-used-to. the cocking "lever" is not difficult to squeeze and they really are a comfortable gun to shoot. They are certainly worth taking a look at, though I personally prefer other guns for this application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I consider it a big deal...the point of concealed carry is the CONCEALED part. </div></div>
I don't disagree with your points, but I think for me the point of concealed carry is the CARRY part. Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddarB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just abit off topic but Downzero you mentioned that you carry a P7.. with it being a squeeze cock gun.. does it take some getting used to? I mean drawing,cocking,aiming firing.. does it take a great effort to get it cocked? I have always thought of them neat guns but just have no experience with them.. </div></div>

The thing about carrying a 1911 or the P7 is that flicking off the "safeties" are a natural part of the draw. Squeezing the cocker on the P7 is a natural part of taking a firing grip on the gun. This makes the P7 very safe to carry and immediately ready to rock and roll when presented.

I haven't shot the P7 a whole lot but I do enjoy carrying it. Being blowback, it does have a pretty fast slide speed so it's a little snappy. That said, shootability isn't the number one consideration for CCW so it's really not that important...and recoil control, within reason, really doesn't affect the speed with which the gun can be shot...because what you really need to learn in order to shoot fast is to SEE fast...because you can't shoot any faster than you can see the sights anyway.

I would say the gun with which I am most familiar is the 1911. People who are used to Glocks always ask if I have ever failed to flick the safety off or whatever. The reality is that never happens because as you take a grip, you put your thumb on top of the safety. As you draw and present to the target, you squeeze with the firing hand and the safety flicks right off. The P7 squeeze cocker is the same way. Move shirt, draw pistol, present to the middle of chest, and pull the squeeze cocker in as you push forward and acquire the sights. It all happens in a fraction of a second so it takes longer to read this than it does to do it...but there's really nothing to get used to...it's really natural.

I'm looking at the G19 for ammo cost, size, and reliability. Give me a reason to get it, and not to get it versus the other option.

I carry a G 36 and have over 3k rounds it without a lick. Not sure why folks are havinig issues with them....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalkingBush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the G19 for ammo cost, size, and reliability. Give me a reason to get it, and not to get it versus the other option. </div></div>

I love carrying my Glock 19. If there's a better polymer pistol out there, I'd like to know about it.

The Glock is a bit thick, but the light weight is nice, the finish is tough as nails, and it's a good size for shootability.

I hate shooting it, but the G19 is a joy to carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalkingBush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the G19 for ammo cost, size, and reliability. Give me a reason to get it, and not to get it versus the other option. </div></div>

The G 19 is a good option, as was mentioned above, carry enough bullet (a bonded bullet, over 1000 fps read +p+). I have a G 19 and prefer the frame to my G 36 so I bought a G 38 this week while on the road. Its waiting at the local shoot and scoot. Range report forthcoming. (Yes I know its a 45 GAP)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, as for the size of the pistol itself...that will depend almost soley on your size and ability to conceal it. While there are people out there who could probably conceal a full-size, double-stack 45acp pistol, most people will need something smaller. Again, how much smaller depends on you and your body type, how you plan to carry (OWB, IWB, SOB, etc.), the clothing you plan to be wearing while carrying, and so on.</div></div>
ORD, this is a little off topic, but still relating to concealed carry: How important is it to have your pistol TOTALLY concealed. I obviously don't carry (God bless Illinois), but I've always wonder, "So what if someone knew I was carrying." </div></div>

My friend told me I was printing a bit a few weeks ago. My response? "I don't give a shit."

Honestly, it just doesn't matter that much to me. I don't carry openly, but I don't really care if someone knows I'm carrying. If it's a bad guy, he won't know until it's too late anyway, and most people are completely oblivious to everything around them. Even if my gun was carried openly they probably wouldn't even notice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalkingBush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the G19 for ammo cost, size, and reliability. Give me a reason to get it, and not to get it versus the other option. </div></div>

I hate shooting it, but the G19 is a joy to carry. </div></div>

May I ask why? (I'm not questioning your comment, just curious...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalkingBush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to know why you hate shooting your G19 also. </div></div>

Because the grip angle is different for me, and honestly, I prefer a single action trigger over anything else. I don't mind shooting a striker fired gun and I shoot it okay, but given the option, I really prefer a single action.

My carry load is a 147 grain Gold Dot hollow point at 1050 FPS...and it is not even +p...and certainly far from +p+.

Another vote here for the G19. I love mine and have a ton of confidence in it. You can abuse the hell out of it and it keeps ticking. I usually clean it every 1000 to 1500 rounds and you cannot tell by the feel of it that its dirty. The slide glides back and forth smoothly even after 1500 rounds. I've seen guys go 15,000+ rounds without cleaning them.

Also b/c its a 9mm I can put thousands of rounds through it without breaking my wallet (I reload). It costs me about $124 to load up 1000 rounds. More rounds for practice means when I actually have to use it, I'll be ready.

I'm almost certain I'm going with 9mm, for it's size and inexpensive ammo. I am stuck between the G19 and G34. The G19 looks compact, and the G34 looks accurate. I do need this for a conceal carry, so will the G19 be that much different in terms of accuracy and range as the G34?

I frequently win beer money by hitting a 11.75" X 22" steel plate at 100 yards with a box-stock Glock 19 (except for night sights) shooting Winchester White Box ammo.

I think that's accurate enough.

A hint: At 100 yards, you may have to hold for wind.

There are a lot of good recommendations above. My choice is a high-quality 1911. However, I have over 30 years experience with one. They run anything I choose to run in them (but I do not run aluminum or steel cased rounds ...EVER).

The G-19 is an incredible weapon and so is the G-30 (my wife's favorite - TODAY). A P7M8 is GREAT as well. However, they can still get rather HOT with sustained fire (but not as quickly as the P7 w/o a heat shield). However, the P7M8 is highly concealable, and REAL accurate (not as accurate as my 1911s, but ...). I have been thinking of a HK P-30L for the stable (been using a friend's - GREAT). They too are very accurate and reliable. If I can conceal a 5" 1911, it will not be a problem to conceal the P-30L.

In Florida if your weapons in NOT fully concealed - you can go to jail. That is a BIG deal. You MUST carry completely concealed - printing and open carry is not allowed - unless of course your are a LEO ..... or Security Officer (Class D&G license, which allows open carry ONLY at the assigned location(s)).

As some have already suggested shoot several and see what you do best with. Then get a high quality holster - cheap will cost you more in the long run - and enjoy the journey.

Accuracy at 50 yards with my 1911s is fair:

NHC-Dominator-50yards-us-2.jpg

G19 will be what I go with. Now the major decision is a Gen3 or a Gen4. Have heard both positive and negative reviews on both.

It sucks that Texas is a CC state, I'd rather open carry here. But either way it's a good thing that people just carry in the first place.

As far as the gun, I have a XD45 4" service that isn't to hard to cover up for me and it's a hell of a gun. I also have a G17 that is also nicebut a little thicker. I plan on buying a G19 in the next week or two to make it my new carry gun. They are can easily be hidden on most people, and has +2 over my XD in the mag.

Another perk of the glock and XD groups along with the 1911's is that so many LEO's use them so there's alot of options for holsters. As well as competition ses.

That's my $0.02

What holster do you recommend for a G19? Which gen are you going to go with? I assume Gen 3 since you are buying it next week.

You implied 45, so my suggestion for CCW would be glock 36 because of thinner profile or Sig p220 if you don't mind the weight.

I have a several glocks but find that their thickness, more so then any other dimension, makes them more difficult to conceal and uncomfortable to carry. Even though my Sigs are heavier they are less blocky, and for me, carry more comfortably and conceal better.

Would also suggest looking at Kahrs for thinner profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalkingBush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What holster do you recommend for a G19? Which gen are you going to go with? I assume Gen 3 since you are buying it next week. </div></div>

TB,

Now that's a whole new can o worms.

You got a bunch of folks here to recommend a good carry weapon, holsters are like shoes in that:

* Mine will not fit you as well as they fit me.

* If you take carrying concealed serious, you will have a lot of them. Don't feel bad if you buy one and and it's not what you thought it would be.

* They take some time to break in.

* Some of them can "Wear out"

* You need different holsters for different purposes.

* Cheap one are obvious as to why they are cheap. (Although I do use a $5 Uncle Mike for my S&W 340 in an appendix carry mode)

Some things to think about.

I got the Raven and Glock 19, love them both. What about clothes, who makes conceal friendly clothes that don't make you look like a douchebag and aren't overpriced?

You've done well so far with the G19 and Raven holster. The wardrobe is up to you. Start with what YOU think looks good, and check yourself out in the mirror. If you don't see your 19 printing through, you're done. The basic idea is to wear clothing that "hangs" a little, and the more lean and muscular you are also helps. Warm weather clothing takes more effort than cold weather. Holster up, and find a large mirror.