• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for a custom 1911

branct06

KOPFJAGER
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
High Point N.C.
I got my tax return in today and I'm looking to treat myself to a custom commander style 1911, I have been looking at an Ed Brown, any other suggestions?

What's your budget? Are you looking for a highly-polished custom job, or something you can bang up and not worry about? Are you willing to wait 18mos+ for the pistol, or are you anticipating immediate delivery?

In the "production custom category", I'd look at Wilson, Ed Brown, or Nighthawk. If you're looking to go custom, you can expect up to $7k and a lengthy wait. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, give Terry Peters a call at P&T Partners. He specializes in high-end 1911's, and has earned a good reputation with the 1911 purists. I spoke with him for over an hour on the benefits of certain pistols, and wound up not even buying from him. http://www.pt-partners.com

If you're looking for a retailer, Sandy Springs Shooting Range is also near your location, and they typically stock some expensive gear (it's less than a mile form the ATL, Lamborghini dealership, if that gives you any idea of the demographic). Give them a call and see what they have in stock, http://www.sandyspringsshootingrange.com

I like Ed Brown's parts, only every broke one (rear sight), but I've never bought a complete gun from them.

Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, and Guncrafter Industries. Wilson will probably be the most difficult to obtain, depending on what your looking for. Guncrafter has the shortest wait time. It all depends on how soon you want it.

Check out Volkmann Precision... Luke Volkmann used to work for Ed Brown .... His work is unbeatable and anyone who knows .45s will vouch for Volkmann ..... His guns are actually better than Browns. Much better finish and attention to detail is Rediculous.... Check out Volkmann Precision.com

Les Baer will probably be best package for the money starting around 2 k. I would probably go Nighthawk above that.

i went through this myself about a year ago. LOoked at 'em all ended up going with a Colt Custom Shop gun. Hopefully I'll have it around June/July

I fail to see the need in spending ridiculous amount of $$$ on a 1911. My first 1911 was a Les Baer. It is a nice 1911 and I understand the aspect of a hand fitted 1911. Still have the LB. I have owned Springfields, Colts, and my last two purchases were Sigs. I can buy a nicely optioned Sig and still have plenty of $$ for ammo and other stuff. My Sig TacOps shoots just as well as my Les Baer in my hands. Was at the LGS yesterday and was looking at the wide selection of 1911 from Kimber, Colt, SA, LB, and Ed Brown. Had price ranges from $700 to over $3K. I know the shop owner. He will tell you that you don't have to spend a fortune but that he carries them so that he can fill a spot for a customer and not lose a sale. The only two that I have kept are the Sigs. The fit is good, the finish is good, the options are good, and they eat any ammo that I have shoved through them from HP to FMJ in all varieties. You don't have to drop a lot of $$$ to get a good 1911.

In the end, it is your choice and your money. If you have some extra and want to buy a high end 1911, then have at it. Go to a LGS that has a selection and check them out for yourself. Buy what you like and what fits your taste. Have fun and take it out and shoot it. They were meant to be shot and not just looked at.

Last edited:
Nighthawk Custom, all day long! I have two and they are amazing pistols. Outstanding customer service and quality second to none.

Oh and to respond to those who say custom 1911s aren't worth the money, they either don't own one or aren't skilled enough to notice the difference. Sorry, but its true. I wonder if a Timex is the same as a Tag Hauer. Or a G.A.P. is the same as a Remington 700 SPS.

Last edited:
I have a Wilson, Ed Brown, and Nighthawk. All three are excellent pistols and all three are highly recommended. If you're thinking about placing an order with the manufacturer then Ed Brown will have the shortest lead time. Personally, I feel like the NH's are spec'd to a higher degree in on their 'base' models but all three manufacturers can build very nice stuff. Ed Brown gives you the least allowance in custom features, but I don't have an issue with that. GunSlingers.com is the best place to buy if you're OK with the wait; they're prices are stellar. The gun I shoot most is my Ed Brown Special Forces Carry.

On many forums talking about 1911s can be like talking about religion.

Traditionally, my impression has been that when someone talks about a "custom" 1911 they're talking about a gun built up by an individual gunsmith on a Colt frame. Today the market has a lot of semi-custom makers that make very high-end, and very expensive production guns on their own frames.

In a perfect world you would have buddies who have one of everything and you could get a chance to see what you like. In the real world, however, opportunities are limited and people seek opinions on web forums. Also, some worry they wouldn't know better one way or the other even if they had the chance to try many other guns.

Moreover, consider the dorky kid in high school. They often think the first girl who gives it up to them is the greatest piece of arse in the world. Similarly, guys may pay $3,000 for a 1911, with limited experience with other high-end guns, and be disinclined to say anything but great things about it.

I have a Wilson, Dan Wesson, two Ed Browns, and three Springfield Professionals.

If you had enough time to wait I would get a Valtro by Jardine, though this is based on reputation alone. But he'll probably die before he gets to you so no need to worry about that.

If you had a couple of years to wait I would get a Springer Pro (this is the FBI gun out of their custom shop). Probably the best bang for the buck out there but they don't make many that make it into the retail market.

After that I would probably get a Dan Wesson. Built to a very high level, no MIM parts (last I heard (may have changed)) and, importantly, also a great deal (again, I may be out of date on this if prices have gone way up). In some ways I think my Dan Wesson is built to a higher level than my Ed Browns.

I've been impressed by the Nighthawks I've handled, and everyone seems to really like them. But they're a lot more than the Springer Pro and, from what I can tell, not worth even part of the premium.

I'll eventually get a Les Baer, I'm sure, but they don't seem to be the same level as other options.

Popular makes like Kimber are, in my personal opinion, not in the same league.

I've little doubt that there are fans of Baer, Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, etc., who will insist their guns are the "best" -- whatever that means. I've not found one, even a $5,000 Wilson, that strikes me as being a better value than the Professional. Does a $5K Wilson look better? Yes, to me, if that's what's important to you. It is tough to find people who have compared a Springer Pro because there are few out there. And, it is unlikely you will be let down by any of the choices mentioned above -- or others which I'm not personally familiar with.

Bottom line: wait for a Springer Pro. If you can't wait and you're not price sensitive, I would get a Nighthawk. If you're looking for semi-custom high quality but are looking for value, get a nice Dan Wesson. Buy one of the others to add to a collection over time if you've got the wallet for it.

YMMV

Oh and to respond to those who say custom 1911s aren't worth the money, they either don't own one or aren't skilled enough to notice the difference. Sorry, but its true. I wonder if a Timex is the same as a Tag Hauer. Or a G.A.P. is the same as a Remington 700 SPS.

Also, I don't have to be a member of the Fittipaldi family to enjoy driving a 458 Spider.

Brazo's custom guns. I would get an STI from him at his prices and have him do what ever custom work you want on it.

I have owned quite a few, still have an Ed Brown. If you go custom, I would go Ed Brown, if you go factory, I would go with Dan Wesson VBOB.

Mike

I have owned quite a few, still have an Ed Brown. If you go custom, I would go Ed Brown, if you go factory, I would go with Dan Wesson VBOB.

Mike

Mike, things may be different now but, as I suggested in the commander thread, I'm not sure the DWs are made much differently than the Ed Browns regarding custom vis-a-vie factory.

Nothing at all wrong with a VBOB, I have one, I think it is one of the best deals going for a factory gun. If you side by side it with the Ed Brown they are both very nice guns, the Ed Brown does have better fitting, its hard explain unless you have them side by side and can "feel" the difference, whether the difference is worth $1000 is debatable and will be up to the end user. You can't go wrong with either one.

Mike

I have had several Baer's, a Wilson SuperGrade, 3 Ed Browns, Pre-series 1 Kimbers, a Novaks and several Colts...
I still have my very 1st Colt, the Kimber's are long gone, the Baer's went next, the Novak was next, and the SuperGrade left a couple of months ago....

I still have and my favorite one's to shoot are the Ed Brown's, I loved the Wilson SuperGrade but the Ed Brown just has the best feel and it never misses..

Call Joe Chambers of Chambers Custom Pistols. Builds some of the finest 1911's out there hands down. Check him out!

Read the site rules.

Last edited by a moderator: