• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Looking for a custom hunting knife

fredjake1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
I know I saw it on here before. I am interested in buying a good- durable - custom made- hunting knife. One that is made to be USED.

Re: Looking for a custom hunting knife

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredjake1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I saw it on here before. I am interested in buying a good- durable - custom made- hunting knife. One that is made to be USED. </div></div>

What is your budget and why does it have to be custom?

+1 for Gene Ingram. His knives are a work of art and meant to get bloody. Give him a call and let him know your needs. He will steer you in the right direction.

I already have most of the better factory knives. I would like to keep price under 250.00. I am thinking of a david winston.

For a hunting knife sized knife I think you will be hard pressed to get a true custom knife made by a known custom knife maker. Not saying its impossible but custom, made from scratch to order is usually going to cost you 300-500 on the low end and if you ask for something rare or unique it can go up in price quiet a bit. With that said, names like Bill Harsey, Les George, The guys at Spartan and Jerico blades all make custom knives. Jerico may be more in your price range and to your liking as he has several blade shapes you can choose from.

http://shop.jericohblades.com/AVAILABLE-NOW_c10.htm

I agree with all the above. A full custom will generally put you a bit over your described budget.

I have a couple Ingrams and they are great knives.

For a production knife with good steel, I tend to prefer S30V. Knives of Alaska makes the Alpha Wolf in S30V and D2. I have one with the Sure Grip handle in S30V and one with the G10 also in S30V. Both are great lightweight hunting knives that can hold their own on 95% of the jobs you'd use them for in the field. The sheath is a bit unusual, but works. I usually just carry my fixed blade in my pack any how.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=14&r=store.asp?c=8

They also make some nice D2 high carbon steel knives and combos.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=115

Pretty good hunting knives for the money. Not a custom, but well within your budget.

+1 for Gene Ingram again. My father inlaw has one of these knives and the are incredible. I hear there is a wait on these knives now because they are in high demand. We skinned and butchered his doe he shot with this knife and and never dulled a bit.

Check out Charles May, Bob Dozier, Dan Crotts or previously mentioned, Gene Ingram. They are all top notch working knives. I have owned them all, but I like Dan's the most. You will have to wait to get any of these, but its worth it.

GL Drew hunter is my favorite skinner. My fine skinner for eyes, ears, coyotes is a Bark River Little Caper though its more of a production knife of good materials. I also like Bill Akers and Coty Handley customs. Like the Spartan owners Coty is also a veteran.

$250 should be very realistic for a top shelf quality hunter with a basic sheath and handle material.
Add damascus, ivory, mokume, engraving, etc and the game changes quickly.
A decent sheath will usually cost $25-50 and will double or triple with exotic inlays and hand tooling.
Most makers will work with you on price if you aren't in a hurry and are asking for something that is similar to what they usually make.
I like S30V and G-10 on my hard use knives but there are many other effective options.
Best of luck with your project and post a picture of your final selection!

Good call on David Winston. He taught Gene Ingram how to make knives. I have owned some Winston's, and recently had him make a custom knife for my hunting buddy. It was just over $300 all said and done, but was beautiful. His communication was great, and the turn-around time was under a month from date ordered. S30v, micarta scales, tapered tang... You would be hard pressed to find a better knife.

I've got a Charles May drop point S30V thats wonderful! Not sure what his lead times are now, but I'd put his stuff right there in quality with an Ingram...

My latest is from a friend in Oklahoma who made me a real nice little blade, using ATS34 and Micarta handle. Did some nice file work, too...

trapper2knife008.jpg

trapper2knife007.jpg

Did a couple whitetails and skint some predators so far, and I'm liking it pretty well! Just enough blade to get the job done...

Bloodroot blades is quite nice. Young guy, name of Luke Snyder, will spend hours talking with you to sort out exactly what you like. Made an entire wedding set for me; they skin well. Price is quite negotiable. My wedding set of 5 knives was about 200/ea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good call on David Winston. He taught Gene Ingram how to make knives. I have owned some Winston's, and recently had him make a custom knife for my hunting buddy. It was just over $300 all said and done, but was beautiful. His communication was great, and the turn-around time was under a month from date ordered. S30v, micarta scales, tapered tang... You would be hard pressed to find a better knife. </div></div>

Yup, that knife did turn out rather nice:) IMHO its about the perfect hunting knife I've ever handled.
007-1-1.jpg

I have ordered a David Winston, thanks for all the good input. Great knives are easy to like.

spartan blades makes a few knives that would work as hunting knives....spartan harsey hunter and the phrikes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">spartan blades makes a few knives that would work as hunting knives....spartan harsey hunter and the phrikes </div></div>

+1 for the spartan Phrike, it's a great all purpose knife.

One name above all the rest" Bob Dozier" Check out his website, he makes some of the best hard use knives out there. Also VERY!! reasonably priced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hondo64d</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Gene Ingram Knives. I have the Lite Hunter and it is the best game knife I have ever used.

John </div></div>

Gene Ingram makes GREAT knives. I can't recommend them enough.

Now, if you want to try something out that is innovative and might save you some bucks, then take a look at Havalon knives. They aren't custom by any stretch of the imagination, but you just switch out the scalpel blades when you dull one. I skin and butcher deer so much more quickly with these than any other blade.

I had several made by Steve Nolen of Nolen Knives. This was the last one and it cost $300 I think. I sent him a drawing with measurements. Took a couple of months. He usually has a good selection on hand though.

IMG_0123.jpg