• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a daypack

flati

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2019
Eastern Ohio
I'm looking for a well made daypack but don't wanna spend a ton of money. This will be used for the minimum essentials and perhaps a rifle rest. Considering 5.11 Moab 10 and Rush 12. Any suggestions or great deals are very much appreciated.

Natchez Shooting supply had some packs on sale, maybe they still do. Also check Coleman's Military Surplus.

Anything Eberlestock or mystery ranch are going to be well made and worth every penny . I haves,lil brother but is closer to a,2-day pack

Last edited:
I'm really not looking at spending a ton of money. I really do like the looks of the 5.11 Moab10 and the Rush 12 and think they would be just fine for what I'm needing. I'm waiting for 5.11's 20% off sale or maybe I'll find a nice preowned by then.

MOAB 10 has single shoulder strap. Not what I would consider but for around town / work / school / ect.

A quick search on Amazon for similar packs at half the price of 5.11 but if you are sold on 5.11, not bad packs but same quality can be found for a lot less just not the name.

SOG. Reebo. I picked up a xcute for approx $20 as a keep in the car throw away for a few essentials. Cheap Asian knock off but same quality as everything else made there labeled with a brand name.

I do also have a SOG ninja which has,a hydration pocket and lots of smaller pouches. It's black and I should have gone tan but my local fleet farm sells,them for,20$ otherwise I also have a Oakley bag I bought from a midway USA sale for under 50$ that I love for range trips that I don't need to take the full load,out

I have two from Tactical Tailor, sometimes you can find stuff on sale or "last year's model". They liquidated their ACU stuff a while back pretty cheap. When camos change or they have too much of one color that's when you can find the best deals. They usually have solid colors to choose from too. Been a while since I been by there.

Anyway, the bigger one is a 3 day pack I think (or day pack if you have to carry a lot of shit) and has an orange interior, molle straps and a place for a Source bladder (or other). I pack this one with ammo and gear when I go out shooting. I can fit or clip most stuff I need to it which is nice. When I could hike, it was handy and comfortable but a bit too big for a day pack IMO.

The smaller one is similar without the orange liner, still accepts the bladder and they go in a separate waterproof compartment, which is nice (both have this). This one would work fine for a day pack and is lighter than the other one. Technically, the size is sorta what we called a 3 day assault pack in the army if you're familiar with those (which is another option if you really wanted to go on the cheap!). Little smaller than a bookbag I reckon and the other is a bit bigger.

The bigger one is more comfortable (I guess it needs to be) and both can be modified to clip onto armor or a vest or whatever too via molle clips. TT gear is usually pretty comfortable and user friendly and designed to be used by soldiers, very popular at Ft. Lewis when I was in, probably still is.

~$100 more or less depending on which one you get I think. IIRC. They're nice though and well made.

A cheap option is always an ALICE radio ruck with frame... And TT makes and does upgrades of these too. They used to do custom work for us but it's been a looong time since I asked about that. Maybe they still do? Or that old assault pack. Just some ideas I've used.

Rush 12 works great and is well made. I also use an Eberlestock Bandit which is a little smaller. Plenty of room for a 1 day match or range use.

I do also have a SOG ninja which has,a hydration pocket and lots of smaller pouches. It's black and I should have gone tan but my local fleet farm sells,them for,20$ otherwise I also have a Oakley bag I bought from a midway USA sale for under 50$ that I love for range trips that I don't need to take the full load,out

I will say the SOG looks appealing especially for around $20.

Attachments

• 15793679822937278682635819950464.jpg
    15793679822937278682635819950464.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 15793680775493447825333207000639.jpg
    15793680775493447825333207000639.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 15793681495604148380859806696606.jpg
    15793681495604148380859806696606.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 15793682291042180254782063021352.jpg
    15793682291042180254782063021352.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 65

I will say the SOG looks appe8aling especially for around $

Reactions: midwestoffroad
@LAR Dragoon had some surplus London Bridge Trading 3 day packs.

I had carried one for years. Basic pack will do as you ask.

Great build quality made in USA.

I'm surprised at the price of some of these bags!

Send @LAR Dragoon a pm and ask what he has.

He has had Mystery Ranch, Granite Gear and other nice stuff pass through his hands.

Perhaps he has a used but cared for Berry Compliant (important to me and usually meets higher quality standards) item to suit your needs.

I'm surprised at the price of some of these bags!

Depends on your usage. I use the Eberlestock lil brother for PRS style matches or non shooting related travel. It says flat and zips completely open an I can carry 200 rounds of ammo a pump.pillow , game changer mini and large . Muffs snacks range finder pens, kestrel hydration pack and still strap stuff to it without fear of failure. It retail at 190 but threw a sale at dvor.com was 120

The oakley bag was 100 retail but 40 @ midway it's a simple back pack with a side zipper for a laptop. I usec it for range trips as I can everything I need for 2-3 rifles into it.

You are correct, they are all copies of each other, there are small differences but they are minor.

I prefer to buy and use USA made but if I am going to buy product that is made in Asia or cheap labor country, then I am going to buy the cheapest. No need to spend extra money on a brand name label when they are all made in Asia same factory.

After looking at your pictures the SOG looks very similar to the 5.11.

Reactions: pmclaine
Maxpedition falcon ii or pigmy falcon. I have the falcon ii and it's perfect for a day pack.

I've used a Source 10lt Commander Hydration pack for years on a bike almost every day. I'm pretty sure all their gear is made in Israel and is well made. Recently busted a zipper and the elastic loops that gather up excess strap didn't last long and was replaced by rubber bands.
Sometimes I wish it was a bit bigger but I guess that's a thing with every small pack. They are more expensive then when I purchased one but you do get a high quality 3lt bladder with the pack.

https://sourcetacticalgear.com/catalog/commander-10l-hydration-cargo-pack/

So far the pack has survived crashes better than I have, broken arm, broken ribs and gravel rash in a handful of crashes and it doesn't even look scuffed. :ROFLMAO:

Send @LAR Dragoon a pm and ask what he has.

He has had Mystery Ranch, Granite Gear and other nice stuff pass through his hands.

Perhaps he has a used but cared for Berry Compliant (important to me and usually meets higher quality standards) item to suit your needs.
I have some CamelBak Motherlode packs that are Mil issue and solid as a tank, and designed to carry a hydration bladder.
$80 shipped without bladder $100 with bladder
For larger packs I have a couple of Granite Tactical Gear patrol packs, $350 with light damage, $450 damage free and a couple of Mystery Ranch packs $350 shipped with no rain fly top, $400 with the rain fly intact. I also have the components to put together USMC FILBE packs, $200 for main pack, frame, shoulder harness and Kidney pad belt.

Last edited:
I asked the same questions a few weeks ago, I went with the mystery ranch daypack, seems solid but haven’t used it yet...I’ve used camelback in the past and they have held up pretty well but the mystery ranch seems to be more comfortable fwiw

Certain colors (black and coyote) of the Hill people gear Aston backcountry pack are $25 off now. Don't have the pack but have been looking at it with interest.

To avoid being redundant - old thread revive.

I’m looking at 2 packs. Use will be just local one-day matches, and whatever else I may need.

I already have 2 good packs for my hunting style by Badlands.

Looking at Mystery Ranch 2 day Assault pack or the Eberlestock H31 Bandit.

I found the MR on sale which is why it’s a contender otherwise I was going to roll the dice with the Bandit.

Thank you

To avoid being redundant - old thread revive.

I’m looking at 2 packs. Use will be just local one-day matches, and whatever else I may need.

I already have 2 good packs for my hunting style by Badlands.

Looking at Mystery Ranch 2 day Assault pack or the Eberlestock H31 Bandit.

I found the MR on sale which is why it’s a contender otherwise I was going to roll the dice with the Bandit.

Thank you

MR all day, the build quality of Eberlestock doesn’t even compare and the Y zip is awesome for getting to gear down in the bottom.

I have a MR 2 day assault pack I might sell, it’s the L/XL and I need the S/M. It’s the woodland camo color and like new. Would trade for the same in S/M too.

At the last 1 day prs match I attended, roughly 1/2 of the attendees were ’rucking’ from stage to stage in various flavors of side by sides. There were a few baby stroller conversions and wagons retrofitted as rifle bearers as well. Those that had backpacks, me included, could have gotten by adequately with a Jansport book bag. I mean, what do you really need? 100 rounds of ammunition. Kestrel. Support bag. A few magazines.

Reactions: Hickswr