• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for a folder......

Tripwire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
VA
Criterea:

3"ish blade, decent steel, drop point, smooth edge or partially serrated.
Slim G-10ish, or machined aluminum handle, no obnoxious bulk.
Assisted opening
Ambi thumb studs
Budget, $100 or less
No bullshit, or f'ked up weird handle shape.

What y'all use that fits that description?

Pics and/or links helpful.

This Gerber Answer F.A.S.T is pretty close..........
Answer-F.A.S.T_fulljpg.jpg

Re: Looking for a folder......

Used Emerson. Skip the assist opening and get a wave.

Used Emerson or check out spyderco they will make you a better knife then the gerber. Also look at the kershaw junk yard dog. I will second dump the assisted open spring gets weak and dirt is hard on them and at best went they are clean and new only a few mill seconds faster

I have an Emerson Super CQC-7 that I'd part with, PM me if interested.

Benchmades Griptillian series. i've been carrying mine for probably 4 years now. its the best knife i've ever owned. the AXIS lock system is outstanding, and i bought it at my BX for about $80.

I have to say I'm a mechanic by trade so a good knife is a must. As well I'm constantly dirty as well as the environment and I have to say ive had a few kershaw knives and never had any problems with the assisted opening. I prefer the assist as well. Looking for basically the same thing so curious to see what is available.

I carry a Kershaw leek for my everyday needs knife. I have the one with the black and red looking handles. It stays pretty sharp with a couple of pulls through a cheapo gerber sharpener.

I also carry a Spyderco but I carry a larger Endura. I never could get used to the small blade/big handel of their smaller knives. I like a symmetrical look to knives.

I just got the Benchmade Triage and I love it. The only think I would change about it is the sheepfoot tip - I would like a drop point.

It has a g10 grip, glass breaker, and utility cutting hook. I picked mine up online for about $130.

+1 on the Benchmade Griptilian. I've carried my Griptilian 550 for 4+ years and love it.

At first it seemed like a plastic piece of junk because of the grips but it completely proved me wrong. Its light, razor sharp, easy to manipulate and built to last. It doesn't look all fancy and tacticool but it holds its own. I bought it for about $90. Worth looking into.

The BM Grip is merely so-so IMO, I got a Spyderco PMII when I was deployed earlier this year and havent let it out of my sight since. I feel you get a lot more for your money with Spyderco over the BM grip series specifically such as better steel(S30V vs 154CM), handle matl(G10 vs FRN), full steel liner(only mini grip is fully lined IIRC), and a better blade shape but then again I like the spidey hole.

For your specs if you want to step up to an auto the Pro Tec TR3-X1 is nice, I have one and it is pretty damn sweet. The only draw back is the CPM D2 which is a PITA to sharpen. Otherwise it is slim, light, sharp, and very quick to open. Not cheap though.

ETA: I paid $96 shipped for my PMII, more than my Grip but having both I prefer the PMII.

Seems alot of folks are somewhat against CRKT. I've had nothing but good luck with them. For the money, I've not had a knife come near them. This one somewhat fits your criteria.

http://www.crkt.com/IgnitorT

Colt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sojurn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benchmades Griptillian series. i've been carrying mine for probably 4 years now. its the best knife i've ever owned. the AXIS lock system is outstanding, and i bought it at my BX for about $80. </div></div>

+1 on the Griptillian

Also, take a look at Cold Steel; they make kick-ass folders as well.