• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a good LR gun in .223...

Oliver6923

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
I'm fairly new to the world of Semi Auto rifles. I have had a couple AR15s and recently build my current one with a DPMS Recon upper and Doublestar lower. I'm looking to get a new long range set up in the .223. I was considering the DPMS Mini SASS or the Bull 20. I've read good reviews on them, and I really like my Recon. Any suggestions, keeping in mind that I want to keep it under 1500 total for the gun. Preferrably in the 1200 range. (not including scope).

Re: Looking for a good LR gun in .223...

Rock River Arms bull uppers usually turn out great groups for a factory upper if ammo/shooter is doing their part.

I like RRA and I'm also a fan of if D.D. rifles. Any specific models you recommend from RRA? I prefer at least a 20" bull barrel.

If you already have a AR15 style rifle, I would look at the LaRue Stealth complete uppers. I have the 18" Stealth upper and it is very accurate.

Looking for primarily target shooting. Maybe some Coyote hunting. I have my .308 bolt action too, but with the price of ammo, a good .223 would be fun and inexpensive to shoot in comparison to my .308.

I thought about just getting an upper. But then I realized I would need to replace the stock as well. So may as well just buy/build the entire gun.

It depends on what you want to do. I say build a quality lower that you can swap uppers on... that means overall 1.)a good trigger, 2.)controls and 3.)stock to fit your main needs. From there drop on whatever caliber upper you want (.223, 6.8SPCII, 6.5Grendel/.264LBC).

Rock River - off the shelf
White Oak Armorment - semi-custom (can call for custom though)
Specialized Dynamics - custom - This is how I would roll. Scott does excellent work.

Well, I probably will go with the upper/lower switch...and just figure out what upper and stock I want to to use for my LR shooter. I currently have the Magpul CTR stock, but want both the PRS and UBR.

I like RRA as well, they make a good off the shelf rifle. If you are looking fore a specific model, I would suggest a 20" varmint with an 8 twist. Hard to go wrong with that seup. If you are looking for an upper only, may I also suggest the LAR grizzly OPS4 precision operator, also in 20" and an 8 twist, that's what I run now, great price and better performance. Both of these are 1000 yd capable with 75 Amax's.

As others have said give Scott a call or send him a PM he'll take care of you.

Best way to go IMHO, you get a very accurite rifle built to your specs/needs for not much more than a factory rifle.

That way you get exactally what your looking for.

I recently picked up a S&W m&p15 Performance Center. Mounted a Leupold Mark Ar and this thing is amazing. Great two stage trigger comes stock. $1,200 from Buds. You won't be disappointed.

Depends on what you are looking for. I have an 18" stealth and it shoots great. I am sure one can find an upper that shoots better, but for a medium contour barrel mine does awesome.

The best LRs I have had are in 7.62x51/308. Remington 700 for a bolt action and M14 (M1A) for a semi-auto. I don't see 5.56/223 being a good LR choice, as you have a fairly light projectile.

I have tried shooting a .223 /5.56 out to 1K. Its doable under perfect conditions with special ammo. Shooting the 69 + grain bullets negates the idea of cheaper ammo.

If your idea of LR for a AR is 500 Yards, hey thats more manageable.

I have a Bushmaster V-match 24" as a calling and dog gun. It works very well.

Specialized relly looks like a good deal though. I may have to give him a call

I don't really need it to reach out to 1000 yds, I have my Remington 700 .308 for more long range shooting. Just wanting something for more the 300-500 yard range thats a little cheaper to shoot than my .308 for target/recreational. I love the way the pistol grip feels when I shoot off of a rest or bipod. I'm much more accurate of a shooter when I shoot my buddys AR10.