• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a good set of steak knives

t185

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2008
NE PA
The post about the pissed of girl friend and the kitchen

knives along with the "how to cook a steak" post, got me to

thinking about purchasing a good set of steak knives.

My current kitchen knife collection is a mixed bag of

Japanese, Messermeister meridian, and Wusthof...

I have been looking at the Wusthof classic and gourmet line as

a starting point but would like to hear some opinions on other

brands.

Re: Looking for a good set of steak knives

I think people gladly pay too much for quality knives when there are excellent quality knives in stock at Sams club, BJs, Costco, Target and other stores that are often a fraction of the cost and will keep an edge well and hone well with a quality steel or ceramic rod.

I picked up a set of knives with the Wolfgang Puck label a few years ago and have another half dozen other real nice knives that serve us very well. None are high end as far as I know but they are shaving sharp, well cared for and easily resharpened.

Will you be using them for utility work? I would suggest Leatherman...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you be using them for utility work? I would suggest Leatherman... </div></div>

LOL

No, unlike the poster with the pissed off fiancee, I realize there is a proper tool for every job

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, there's a lot of money needlessly spent on some names. It's possible to get good knives,without spending a ton. I've had these maybe 15 years and they're still going strong.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-153549.html </div></div>

I grew up with those knives, and my mom <span style="font-weight: bold">still</span> gets a case-of-the-ass, when she pulls out the chef knife I used to "hack" open coconuts (25 plus years ago). I have a set of my own, and keep them out of the hands of MY teenage boy's.

I've had and used a set of Henkels stainless steel steak knives, for well over 25 years. They are still going strong, and only needed to be sharpened once in that time.

And seeing as these 4 or these 8 for the same price are solid/one-piece stainless, they are damn-near bulletproof (or idiot-proof, depending on your perspective)

For what they do, I highly recommend them. Especially when you can get them for great sale prices quite often.

The point is to enjoy your steak. It don't taste any better with an expensive'r knife.

I am a big Henkels and Wusthof fan. I have a Henkels Pro set and a couple Wusthof. My steak knives are Henkels and have been around for 15 years with fairly heavy use. Henkels now makes two less expensive lines, one made in Spain which is pretty good and a cheap one made in China called EverSharp. I don't think I would buy the ES. Regardless of your choice in brands choose a knife that is full tang and do not place them in the dishwasher. Good knives, as well as cookware, should only be handwashed and dried.

We have a set of Cutco knives and are very happy with them

Maaan, 'good' steak knives? I have a nice block with a sweet set of blades from a very highly reputed manufacturer. But guess what always hits the table?
A set of basic wood handled, oversized blade, Chicago Cutlery, steakhouse knives. Have a second set from Tramontina that looks just like them from 2' away. Serrated fore edge, they work on big cuts of steak and chops, and they wash easy and, uh, I never touched the edges since I have had them(10+ years or so)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maaan, 'good' steak knives? I have a nice block with a sweet set of blades from a very highly reputed manufacturer. But guess what always hits the table?
A set of basic wood handled, oversized blade, Chicago Cutlery, steakhouse knives. <span style="color: #FF0000">Have a second set from Tramontina that looks just like them from 2' away.</span> Serrated fore edge, they work on big cuts of steak and chops, and they wash easy and, uh, I never touched the edges since I have had them(10+ years or so) </div></div>

i use wusthof classics for cooking but thought their steak knives looked and fealt cheap. i am still using a 10 year old set of red colored wood handle tramontina steak knives that i got as a gift (probably came from walmart). i love them. i want to say they were made in brazil.

Awww hell,,, just use your teeth, God gave us K-9's for a reason.
(at least that's my argument to vegitarians out there...)

http://www.warthercutlery.com/

Those in Northeast Ohio will know this place well... but Mooney Warther's knives are legendary. Best cooking knives I have ever used or seen.

Here is his story: http://www.warthers.com/

The carving museum is unreal...

One interesting story is that during WWII and Korea, Mooney personally hand-made fighting knives for every local youngster who went overseas. I've only seen and handled one of these knives, but they are masterpieces. Tried to find one for sale for years, but they are just made of unobtainium.

At very least, check out the legacy of a craftsman, patriot and great artist.

And his steak knives are fantastic!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I also have a set of cutco knives and would not trade them for any other considering the amount of use I have got out of them on there first sharpening which I have yet to renew and 9 years later they cut like a dream and its not ignorance speaking either. I used to sell knives and know what good knives are and capable of. Oh and the life time warranty dosent hurt either.