• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for a good shooting .223/5.56 upper input

Sulenski

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2009
CA
Hi all,

I have been playing around with the idea of building another .223/5.56 AR rifle and I am looking to get your guys input on things.

I have been considering a White Oak Armorment upper in the 20 to 24 inch range. But I am open to input as I have only tossed the idea around. I am looking to shoot up to 77 grains with the 69 SMK being the bulk of ammo shot.

Do you guys have any pro's or cons on the WOA uppers or any ideas on other brands that are just as good or better. Price isn't a concern only wanting the best of sorts.

Also looked at the Noveske uppers as they have a 20 inch barrel option as I am kind of diggin the 3 groove and lands on some of their offerings.

Re: looking for a good shooting .223/5.56 upper input

I have heard the LaRue uppers shoot well. I am intersted in this topic myself. Good luck

WOA is very tough to beat, lots of highpower/ service rifle shooters use them

I've had real good luck with POF uppers. The larue I had wasnt, but apparently I'm in the minority there.

Thanks for the input!

already have a couple of the POF uppers and have owned DPMS, Bushmaster, and Stag in the past.

Haven't looked into Larue yet are there any owners that would care to chime in?

Keep it comming guys!

I have been looking at rainier arms myself they have a super match upper that they guarantee sub-moa with factory match ammo.

The rainier super match is built with their ultra match barrel 365$.

You can build a decent upper yourself using that barrel for under 1k easily.

I have one and it is amazingly accurate, as accurate as my RRA varmint bull and with a much much lighter profile...

If cost is no object and you want what is considered one of the best, if not the best, just call Krieger and tell them what you want.

Just received my LaRue Predatar in 5.56 last week, took it out and shot some Ultramax 52gr HP (not that good of ammo). When I did my part I was getting 3/4" groups. I like this rifle alot. Fit and finish is first class, no failures to feed/function. I could go on but you get the point.
D

I bought a used Stag Arms 6HL (left hand) upper from someone here on the hide and I can't believe how well it shoots. Its a 24" 8 twist barrel. Loaded up some 77g SMKs, slapped on a Mueller APT 4.5-14 I had lying around, and it was shooting 1/2" groups at 100yds. My bad groups of the day were still at MOA. Shot at 530 yards this past weekend and it was shooting 3.5" 5 shot groups. Pretty impressive, especially considering what I paid. It is a heavy SOB though.

A varmint or coyote upper from RRA would be hard to beat as well.

Take a look at High Caliber Sales. The MK 12 upper is very accurate and a piece of history. Kevin is the best. If I had bought this first I wouldn't have 3 ARs. Just got the Ops Inc suppressor. Its my favorite gun to shoot. CJ

I just finished a Sundevil uuper/lower with an 18" Noveske. Hope it shoots good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also looked at the Noveske uppers as they have a 20 inch barrel option as I am kind of diggin the 3 groove and lands on some of their offerings.
</div></div>

I have one of these and its an absolute laser. I have taken it out to 1000yds with 70gr Berger handloads and it holds a nice group even at that range (if the wind ain't too bad). Its heavy (big barrel and mono receiver) but boy it really shots. After getting it, I sold my Noveske 18" (SPR model) because the 20" was so much more accurate (0.50moa at 100yd easy vs 0.75-1.0moa with some work for the 18" SPR) and added 50fps to the MV. I think it would be tough to find a more accurate AR15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.specializeddynamics.com

I've also got several complete Noveske built rifles and they do not compare to the accuracy of my Specialized Dynamic Upper.
</div></div>

I was talking specifically about their 20" medium varmint contour barrel that the OP mentioned in his first post:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...tus=&title=

This barrel is materially more accurate than the two other Noveskes I have owned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.specializeddynamics.com

I've also got several complete Noveske built rifles and they do not compare to the accuracy of my Specialized Dynamic Upper.
</div></div>

I was talking specifically about their 20" medium varmint contour barrel that the OP mentioned in his first post:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...tus=&title=

This barrel is materially more accurate than the two other Noveskes I have owned.

</div></div>

Gotcha! My 20" Med. Varmint Noveske's are an improvement over my 18" Noveske SPR's as far as tight groups at distance, but this Specialized Dynamics built 18" SPR Upper has honestly been amazing. This is the only one from Specialized Dynamics that I have personally owned, but for sure wanted to at least mention them. I am also running a ROC-SOLID Button Head Buffer & Colt Spring provided by www.rangeroutreachcenter.com
This buffer and correct spring length has also made a noticeable
difference in accuracy regardless of rifle make/manufacture in both semi and auto rifles.

Just my $.02

Well I am on the fence between the WOA and the Noveske. I'm trying to see how the Noveske is worth the extra 900+ dollars over the WOA upper. Outside of the Vltor monolithic railed upper I really don't see that huge of a difference. The money isn't that huge of issue I just want to be informed with as much info as I can get before taking the plunge. Trying to make it a spend once cry once experience LOL.

Guys at WOA are great. You won't be disappointed if you use them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I am on the fence between the WOA and the Noveske. I'm trying to see how the Noveske is worth the extra 900+ dollars over the WOA upper. Outside of the Vltor monolithic railed upper I really don't see that huge of a difference. The money isn't that huge of issue I just want to be informed with as much info as I can get before taking the plunge. Trying to make it a spend once cry once experience LOL. </div></div>

consistency, noveske uses pac-nor barrels, they are, from my experience, better than WOA barrels, and are consistent in quality. Im sure there is one out there, but I personally know quite other people with noveske barrels and no one has had problems with theirs.

Your buying something that is better, will you the shooter be able to tell the difference between the quality in barrels?....well that's for you to determine. The fact that it is better is one thing you are paying for, the fact that these barrels are consistently better is also what you are buying.

Both will be fine for what you are doing, but if you are trying to push a 5.56 platform to its limits I would imagine saving money would not be very conducive to the experiment.