• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a good welding machine.

El Vaquero

Sergeant
Minuteman
I want to learn how to weld so I make my my own barbecue pits. Any welders out there know of a good welder that would help me do this without making be go broke. Any book recommendations will help too. Thanks for the help.

Re: Looking for a good welding machine.

I'm looking also. My nephew (who welds at work and has a personally owned machine at home) swears by his Lincoln Electric. He's moving on from wire feed or arc and is looking to upgrade to mig.

I'm looking for a arc machine (nothing fancy) just to do steel targets and stuff around the garage.

He suggested this:

Link #1

I found this doing a search:

Link #2

I'm just not in a "funds available" spot right now to make a purchase.

Both Lincoln and Miller are good names. I own a Millermatic 252 and could not be happier with it. If you go MIG my only suggestion is to get a larger machine then you think you will need. ARC is nice for less prep and cheaper setup cost, but for a beginner welder it's probably best to start with a MIG and some Argon/CO2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking also. My nephew (who welds at work and has a personally owned machine at home) swears by his Lincoln Electric. He's moving on from wire feed or arc and is looking to upgrade to mig.

I'm looking for a arc machine (nothing fancy) just to do steel targets and stuff around the garage.

He suggested this:

<a href="http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Welding/Lincoln-

Electric/h_d1/N-5yc1vZash5Z12l5ZwpZ12l6/R-100041326/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Link #1</a>

Link #2

I'm just not in a "funds available" spot right now to make a purchase. </div></div>

I'm in the same boat money wise. Thanks for the links. I use to work at Grainger Industrial Supply and I use to sell nothing but Lincoln and miller. I wish I would have bought one with the discount then. Young and dumb.

I'd keep an eye on craigslist for a used machine. I had dropped $2800 on a Lincoln 350MP on ebay and got ripped off in a scam. After getting my money back, I decided to just watch CL and see if I could find something used that I could actually try out. Ended up with a Powcon 400SM power source that I can mig, stick and scratch start tig with. Came with 2 wire feeders, a nice cart, full bottle of 75/25 mixed gas, 2 flow regulators, 3 30lb spools of wire, welding hood, new gloves and a brand new lincoln welding jacket.......all for $400 and I knew it all worked because I got to try it out before I bought it. That's a once in a lifetime deal most likely, but if I found another I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

If you plan to use it at home, you'll probably want to go with one of the more modern machines that you won't have to have a 100 amp outlet to feed them. Something like a Miller 304 plus a wire feeder and a set of leads would be a good consideration. I've seen 2 in the last month on CL for $1500. You can mig/stick/scratch start tig with it and it will have enough power and duty cycle to do what you are wanting to do with it. A lot just depends on how much you want to spend. You can probably get a Miller 350P for around $3200 with some shopping around and that would have all the power you'll ever need and then some, has pulse programs, and you can plug a spool gun or push-pull into it if you ever decide to try some aluminum.

As for books, "Welding Principles and Applications" by Larry Jeffus is the text we used in welding class, you can probably pick up a used copy online for $20-40 bucks. Another great resource is go to millerwelds.com and look up their "instructor pack" it's the same as the student pack and same price iirc, but has a few posters with it costs about $25 and comes with 4 books that do a good job of explaining things.

I learned best by doing and having someone looking over my shoulder to tell me what I was doing right/wrong and how to do better. But, after you get a little experience the books do make more sense.

edit: Miller is charging $70 for their package now, says they just updated them.
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/tools/ towards the bottom of the page.

I just bought a Miller 211 mig welder, I also got the spool gun to do aluminum.I wanted the dual voltage and the spool gun is relatively inexpensive.The local welding supply shop had a sale on the machine with a tank of gas. I haven't had time to fire it up yet.

Another machine you might look at is a Thermal Arc 181i, it does mig , stick and tig. They're supposed to come out with a dual voltage 200 amp machine later this year.
http://www.thermadyne.com/Thermal%20Arc%203in1/Fabricator%20181i/index.php

I've been learning on an old (1980's) Lincoln 200 amp mig machine at my friend's shop,I've been making pistol targets and stands for the club I shoot at.Finally decided it was time to have my own machine.

Check out this website for a lot of good info on welding:
http://weldingweb.com/

If your wanting a mig welder and dont want to spend the money on a good miller or my choice would be am esab. Hobart also makes a good machine for the money, I have one one the 210 wirefeed units and never have had a problem with it, my only suggestion with the Hobart, or alot of other machines, is to upgrade the torch to a better one they usually just throw a cheap one on new machines.
walter

Hard to go wrong with Miller or Lincoln. Another to look at might be a Hobart. They are owned by Miller and share the same torches, etc. That's the route I went and it's been a great welder.

Thunderbolt_XL_225-150_AC-DC.png

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/stick/product.php?model=M16100

This is the welder i use to repair targets and such.

i've got a 110v Hobart mig, it's a beast for a 110v welder. Mine is the handler 135, which has been replaced by the handler 140 in their lineup now. It can do flux core OR wire + gas.

Hobart and Miller are owned by the same company, IIRC. Both make fantastic mig welders. DO NOT cheap out on a MIG, I had a cheapo my neighbor gave me when he moved away, and it was a constant headache. That's why I upgraded.

About anything will work for arc welding, it's not rocket science. I can't help you on TIG, never done it.

On another note, i've got a lincoln procut 25 plasma cutter (dual voltage) and it works pretty well... just get a air/water separator for the inlet air line if you intend to use it a lot or it will be a headache. It's pretty decent on 110v, i'm sure it's a beast on 220v but I can't add that because my fusebox is full.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to learn how to weld so I make my my own barbecue pits. Any welders out there know of a good welder that would help me do this without making be go broke. Any book recommendations will help too. Thanks for the help. </div></div>

For migs and tigs, blue ones are the only way to roll....

For stick welding, blue ones and red ones, both are good.

THE best thing you could do for yourself is NOT run right out and buy a machine and try to teach yourself, it just doesn't happen that way for most people. What works for most people is learn to weld first, then buy a machine. The way you learn the best is with professional guidance. Your local community college, or possibly your local high school, should have courses that you can take that will teach you EVERYTHING you want to know, and probably a little more. It will give you certs also that you can carry into a welding job if you ever go that route. Money WELL spent that will, if you can learn well, make buying a machine much more easier for YOU to decide on for yourself.

Case in point, I've been welding for quite while on the job; all kinds of stuff, big/little, thin/thick, you name it. I just recently went to the local community college here near me to take a series of mig tests on galvanized sheet metal, 10 gauge and 18 gauge. Vertical and overhead tests, for a GOOD job I'm trying to score at a local plant. Welds had to be tits on perfect, no porosity, no stops/starts, lumps, burn through, etc.

There were 8 of us that showed up for the testing that day. There was an hour or so of redundant safety speak on the use of the shop equipment, and a speech about the instructor dude NOT being able to instruct any of us HOW to do the welding. We either could do it and pass, or we couldn't do it and fail. We had the next three hours to turn in 8 consecutive passing test plates. Mess up one and you start over.

From what I gathered from the others while we waited to get into the testing was that only one of 'em other than myself had actually welded for a job. One admitted to having never even touched a MIG welder before. The rest were there, I'm guessing, because why not give it a shot, it's a good job to get, and they had at least some sort of welding experience at some point.

I knocked all eight of my plates out in an hour and 15 minutes, and most of that was waiting for the instructor dude to come back down to my booth to confirm position, and then again to pass/fail my test plate. I was done and on my way out the door before any of the other seven had gotten even their first plate turned in.

Now my overall experience has come mostly from lots of hours "burning wire", MIG, TIG, SMAW, and FCAW; but I did benefit greatly from being put through a school at the boiler shop, twice, both times I worked there. Those guys at the testing the other day would have had the job if they had just gotten some education of some sort under their belts. You just can't pick up a welder and expect it to work for you, so go get some schooling.

From what I heard later, I was the only one that passed the tests that day........

If at all possible I would try to use a few machines before you actually buy one, so that you know what you really want. Just like rifles everyone has their own preference to the machine that they use. All the top brands are pretty good but in the end it comes down to which one you like best. I have personally done a lot of welding with many different machines. Like others said above its also not something that you can pickup and do, it takes some a bunch of practice and someone that knows what they are doing to give you some tips. If you have any other questions let me know and I will help you out.
Walter

I am all miller now. It is nice to always be able to find parts. I have 2 migs and a tig. The local shop will throw in a welding class when you purchase a welder there. I took the basic and advanced tig classes. Other than that I am self taught. Mig is easy to learn on your own.

Wow, thanks for all the info. There are several technical schools down here, but I have a full time job and family. There's no way I could enroll for the classes that takes 2 years to complete. Plus I work graves, so that doesn't help. Does anyone know if a basic class will get me in he right direction. My father in law has welded since he began working in ranches in the early 80's, but he lives too far away. I could only get help here and there when I go up to visit.

^ ^ ^ Tripwire has good advice!

Started welding with a Lincoln 225 "Crackerbox" back in the mid 70s. A friend helped me build a car trailer - his machine and training. He was a great teacher and I learned alot. Later, I had to do some mods and used a another friend's Mig at his machine shop - that sold me on wire!

I now have a Miller 251 - outstanding machine. I had not welded for 20 years - watched the video that came with the MM, got some scrap steel, and had no problem getting in the groove again. Since you're not doing "structural construction" requiring certification, professional training is not imperative, but would not hurt. If you can get some instruction from a shop, school, or friend, you will learn some good basics on what makes a good weld.

Best advice: "try before you buy", and get something larger than you think. My first Mig was a MM 175 - should have bought the MM 250, which was the larger at the time. Sold it, then bought the MM 251. The 175 was borderline - should have gone with the 25x. Bad thing was, I had that feeling when I went the 175 route.

Kevin

There is a very nice Miller Synchrowave 250 for sale on CL right now in Houston. $2250, appears to have everything you need for the job, about half what it would cost new.

IF you're just trying to make basic steel barbecues, there really is nothing wrong with just getting one of the iconic Lincoln "Tombstone" or "Buzzbox" welders:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K1170

Stick welding is just fine for making barbecues, it'll blow throw rust and scale more easily than any other process, no gas bottles to refill, it's far easier to learn, and it's cheap.

I have a Syncrowave 200 TIG because I wanted to be able to weld aluminum, stainless and other thin non-ferrous alloys, but that is total overkill unless you're building stainless barbecues...and then, if you're trying to make money, you'd probably still be better off with a MIG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ktdls7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ ^ ^ Tripwire has good advice!

Started welding with a Lincoln 225 "Crackerbox" back in the mid 70s. A friend helped me build a car trailer - his machine and training. He was a great teacher and I learned alot. Later, I had to do some mods and used a another friend's Mig at his machine shop - that sold me on wire!

I now have a Miller 251 - outstanding machine. I had not welded for 20 years - watched the video that came with the MM, got some scrap steel, and had no problem getting in the groove again. Since you're not doing "structural construction" requiring certification, professional training is not imperative, but would not hurt. If you can get some instruction from a shop, school, or friend, you will learn some good basics on what makes a good weld.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Best advice: "try before you buy", and get something larger than you think. My first Mig was a MM 175 - should have bought the MM 250, which was the larger at the time. Sold it, then bought the MM 251. The 175 was borderline - should have gone with the 25x. Bad thing was, I had that feeling when I went the 175 route.</span>
Kevin </div></div>

I agree with the go bigger than you think you'll need. Eventually you will want to get into something thicker than what you have planned on welding, it's nice to be able to just turn the knob to "kill" and knock it out rather than grinding and doing multiple passes with a too small machine. The duty cycle that you get on a larger machine helps too when you are doing long welds even on thinner metal.

What thickness of metal, primarily, are you planning to weld and how much welding do you plan on doing? Knowing that we could probably be a little more specific with our suggestions. If you are planning on building BBQ's and fire pits and the like as a money making proposition I'd suggest getting a medium to heavy duty size mig machine. If you're planning on just building your own and don't plan on making a second job out of this, I'd look at a buzz box like a Lincoln tombstone or something similar....they're on craigslist all the time for around $200 and you can usually get some leads to go with them. Dragging a stick of 7018, to me, was easier to learn than getting mig right. With mig there are more variables. Also, if you plan on doing your welding outside in the wind, you don't have to be concerned with it blowing away your shielding gas with a stick welder. With mig you'll either need to use shielding gas or reverse the polarity and go flux core.

To me, welding is a fun hobby and a skill worth learning. It's relaxing. I wanted to learn so I could weld aluminum and build my own duck boat, still haven't done that but in the last two years I've probably spent more time and money feeding my welding hobby than I have any of my other hobbies. Next up is a tig machine, looking at the miller dynasty 200dx and dynasty 350, that's like buying a GAP or a GAP with a Schmidt & Bender......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ktdls7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ ^ ^ Tripwire has good advice!

<span style="color: #FF0000">Best advice: "try before you buy", and get something larger than you think. My first Mig was a MM 175 - should have bought the MM 250, which was the larger at the time. Sold it, then bought the MM 251. The 175 was borderline - should have gone with the 25x. Bad thing was, I had that feeling when I went the 175 route.</span>
Kevin </div></div>

I agree with the go bigger than you think you'll need. Eventually you will want to get into something thicker than what you have planned on welding, it's nice to be able to just turn the knob to "kill" and knock it out rather than grinding and doing multiple passes with a too small machine. The duty cycle that you get on a larger machine helps too when you are doing long welds even on thinner metal.

What thickness of metal, primarily, are you planning to weld and how much welding do you plan on doing? Knowing that we could probably be a little more specific with our suggestions. If you are planning on building BBQ's and fire pits and the like as a money making proposition I'd suggest getting a medium to heavy duty size mig machine. If you're planning on just building your own and don't plan on making a second job out of this, I'd look at a buzz box like a Lincoln tombstone or something similar....they're on craigslist all the time for around $200 and you can usually get some leads to go with them. Dragging a stick of 7018, to me, was easier to learn than getting mig right. With mig there are more variables. Also, if you plan on doing your welding outside in the wind, you don't have to be concerned with it blowing away your shielding gas with a stick welder. With mig you'll either need to use shielding gas or reverse the polarity and go flux core.

To me, welding is a fun hobby and a skill worth learning. It's relaxing. I wanted to learn so I could weld aluminum and build my own duck boat, still haven't done that but in the last two years I've probably spent more time and money feeding my welding hobby than I have any of my other hobbies. Next up is a tig machine, looking at the miller dynasty 200dx and dynasty 350, that's like buying a GAP or a GAP with a Schmidt & Bender...... </div></div>

I want I build a pit for myself. I don't think I would go over 3/8" and 1/4" being my max. As of now it will be something I want To grow into being a hobby. Eventual down the line I would like to build pits for my friends. I'm always getting asked if I know any welders that would build pits. The money they would pay is decent, but it would be good to know I built something that somebody really enjoys.

This is way over your budget but would be all the welder you'll ever need https://lidl-schweissgeraete.com/ I bought one 2 years ago to use in the workshop at home and can highly recommend it, I know it's expensive but you will find it very easy to use compared to a cheap welder, and you have the ability to TIG weld which is the better option for stainless.

Welcome to the forum. Do you realize your first post is responding to a 8 year old post from a man who has likely found his welding machine?
And not only that, but the link that was supplied with that post only shows up in "Swedish-Chefian" language. I was expecting to see some chickens and wooden-spoons being flung around.

Bork bork bork!

For all of you just learning to weld, I would recommend starting with an Oxy/Acetylene torch. Victor is what I use. They also put a small booklet in with their torches that is a wealth of very basic information as to how to light it, adjust it, what different flames are, how they react to your metal, and shut it off and how to cut. Read it all. You will be better off.

With a torch and some pieces of scrap metal and some rod or a coat hanger or baling wire, you get to see how the puddle develops between the 2 parent metals and if you add metal to the weld or not, all in slow motion as compared to using electric welders. You actually see thing flowing and if you need more heat on one side or another to get that puddle flowing where you need or want it.
It will teach you how the metals react when they cool and warp and why you put welds in on the other side of your work to make up for that.

When you are good with a torch and know how to adjust the flame, you will get good cuts with little to no slag.

I have plasma cutters and air arcs, all the latest and greatest, and they all have their place, but the torch does things they cannot do.
Need a little pre-heat? where do you go? need to cut that seized bearing race off? where do you go? need to weld something fine and delicate? get the right tip and get after it, need to put on a gouging tip and blow out a bad broken weld? I do use some really great gouging rod on my electric welder but I can use my torch too. Different jobs call for different things.

In summary, If you are a Master with the torch you will also know where to look in your welding hood when using electric as to how things are happening and you will make good welds.

I have nothing else to add to this other than that is how I was taught, starting with forge welding and hammering shit together, then I went oxy/Acc then electric and I have been doing it for 60+ years. I am sure that there are others out there that know more than me. FM

I'm looking also. My nephew (who welds at work and has a personally owned machine at home) swears by his Lincoln Electric. He's moving on from wire feed or arc and is looking to upgrade to mig.

He suggested this:

Link #1

Link #2

I'm just not in a "funds available" spot right now to make a purchase.

it is not an upgrade going to mig, its a different welding process that is used when applicable

Get a Miller if you want a wire feed. I have run Lincoln and others and I preferred the Miller for less issues and easy maintenance. I have limited experience with Tig and I learned on a Miller unit. Just make sure you run gas and get the right power you need for the thickness of metal you plan to weld.

I went with the Hobart handler 210MVP I believe it was, nothing fancy but it works on 220v or 110v which is nice and welds really nice. Got tractor supply to price match an online price to 699 affordable too. and Hobart is made by miller if that matters.

Welded with an Esab wire feed for years, but also used Miller and Lincoln. I would recommend any of the three. I prefer a wire feed, but sticks are fine. Make sure to read all the info on the smaller 120vac ones, I used a rental one once that would only weld for about 2 minutes at a time then it needed a 5-minute cool-down period, it was really frustrating being mid bead and have it cut off.