• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing looking for a Gunsmith for a Remington 1917

USMC5811

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2009
Massachusetts
I was looking to do a little work on a old Us model of 1917 Remington 30-06 action. I didn't know if possibly some smiths on here were comfortable working on these actions. I was looking to do possibly a re bluing, trigger job, set up mount for a scope, bed into a stock etc. If you have worked on these in the past would you mind sending me a pm? I would also like your opinion if it is worth the effort? I appreciate it.

Re: looking for a Gunsmith for a Remington 1917

If you a complete military rifle, leave it alone as they are worth a lot. If all you have is the action, it can be modified to cock on opening, fix the ugly bolt handle, mill off the ears for a scope mount, put in a good trigger, fix the floorplate so it is flat and refinished.
When you get done you will still have a P 17 Enfield action that will have cost you more than a Model 70 action, and be worth about (good day) $300.
Were it mine (action only), I'd sell it as is to a reenactor who has a complete Eddystone with a cracked receiver ring and wants to get it shooting again.
Back in the day. lots of classic rifles were built on both P14 and P17 actions but that was before there was a glut of complete modern rifles (70s & 700s) just sitting on the rack in some gunshop waiting to be made into something you might want.
Good shooting!

Thanks Mr Humble. It has I believe the original barrel, bottom metal etc. but has been modified before (not well on the rear sights). It was a gift from an Uncle years ago and I have never used it outside of a range trip or two (due to the loose rear sights I have since removed). It was in a wood stock that had a missing chunk of wood near the rear action screw. I attached a few pics which I'm not sure I did correctly, as it is my first attempt. Like you said perhaps its best to find a used 70 or 700.

3909547055_f769717f18.jpg
3910329960_3ac2b3d93b.jpg
3909545645_bdb5902187.jpg

Yes it looks like someone started to sporterize it and stopped.
I'd throw it on GunBroker with an opening bid of $150, somebody will probably want it for the parts, especially if the bore is decent. Good luck!