• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

looking for a handheld hunting gps

ctso030

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2013
south texas
I am looking for a handheld gps, with a topo map. I have never owned one but going to Colorado hunting and was advised to get one. I want something that's user friendly and has a topo map or can have one added to it. looking for some advice, I don't know jack about them, I would appreciate any advice

The other one which may be useful is the Garmin Rhino. I was just given one and quite impressed with what it can do..
Its a GPS (With Topo) and also a UHF and if your buddy has one then you can see on your unit where he is in relation to you.

Look at the various Garmin units and get one with a screen large enough the adequately read the maps. Then get a Colorado map from Hunting GPS maps that show all the various land ownership for the state. Have been using them for several years in both a Garmin Rhino and Montana 650T.

im looking at a garmin 450t. do I still need to get a topo map download. at cabelas was looking at the hunting premium card to download

The 450T is pretty nice. I went from the etrex to the 450 and really like it. You can make custom map overlays in google earth and import them onto the 450 t. I was able to get some usgs maps online and superimpose them as we'll. I have sent you a pm as well.

I ended up getting one of the Garmin Montana units and I am very pleased. They are a bit larger than most of the others mentioned here but I wanted something to use in my car as well as in the field. You can load multiple maps on the Garmin units and I have the City Navigator maps (for driving) along with topo maps from Hunting GPS Maps. You can switch profiles in the GPS depending on what your activity is - driving, hiking, etc. You can also load marine maps if you wanted to use it in a boat.

As far as the topo maps go I wouldn't bother with the Garmin maps. For the same price you can get the Hunting GPS Maps for your state/region and these are priceless. I hunt mostly public land and they are invaluable for letting you know if you've accidentally crossed into someone's private property. I highly recommend them.

I've had several Garmin products over the years and have always been happy. They kind of screw you on the map purchases/prices but their hardware and user interface has been top notch. I have also had great experience with their customer service.

Im really waiting to see when the EARL is going to be available and see what type of reviews it gets.

I have a Garmin Dakota 20. I'd stay within the Garmin family if I were in the market right now.

I've got the Garmin GPSMAP 62s. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I'm not really big on the touch screen models. My suggestion though is that, whichever GPS you get, get the Hunting GPS Map for your state. The thing pays for itself in spades if you're hunting in a busy area in terms of land ownership.

Im really waiting to see when the EARL is going to be available and see what type of reviews it gets.
I pre-ordered one and was trying to forget about it, but now I'm all excited again to get that sucker. I'm hoping it's in for my vacation in October, and will try to give it a quick run in the Smokies as a test. Looks though I won't see it for a few months still.

OP, you don't necessarily have to purchase a topo map card. You can download many for free direct from here that are GPS compatible: GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

They also have many current land use maps if you're running the public/private land gambit, but those typically have a fee for purchase.

I pre-ordered one and was trying to forget about it, but now I'm all excited again to get that sucker. I'm hoping it's in for my vacation in October, and will try to give it a quick run in the Smokies as a test. Looks though I won't see it for a few months still.

OP, you don't necessarily have to purchase a topo map card. You can download many for free direct from here that are GPS compatible: GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

They also have many current land use maps if you're running the public/private land gambit, but those typically have a fee for purchase.

Ill be anxious to hear what you think of it. Im about 8 months out from purchasing a new GPS (Elk Hunt Next Year) so Im sure it will be between whatever the newest Garmin is and the EARL. Hopefully EARL Rev2 will be out by then with some pretty cool upgrades. If it wasnt for the time I have until ill actually be using it, I would have pre ordered an EARL as well.

While learning to read a paper map is invaluable, that is a bit like telling him never to use a ballistics calculator. Should you know how to and practice without? Yes. Is it okay to use technology to make life easier or save time? Yes.

The 3d/birdseye view on the Oregon and Montana are useful for hunting/shooting.
I have the 450t and the 650.
You can skip paying extra for the 't' model because their are better topomaps available. some of them free. You do lose a little internal storage but you may prefer to keep your maps backed up on a card anyway.
gpsfiledepot has lots of free topo maps at higher resolutions than the one that comes pre-loaded on the garmin now. You might even find a BLM boundaries map for where you want to hunt.
hutninggpsmaps is great for up-to-date land ownership boundaries, it can get very cluttered however.
I feel that the Montana 650 is too big for hunting. The screen is nice and bright, but the thing is massive and heavy. The Oregon fits in your hand and has a carabiner clip attached to the back so that you can hang it from your packs waist belt.

I ended up buying a garmin Oregon 450t and the hunting gps map, from cabelas. should be here by next wed. im sure I will have more questions thanks for all the help

I quickly scanned these posts and didn't find this advice, and I know it's too late for the OP but for anyone else, why not consider an iPhone? I have the formerly Cabela's and now Trimble outdoors app and it is great! You can cache maps ahead of time and all you have to have is an open view of the sky just like any other GPS unit. It has a ton of overlays, as well as a public lands overlay which tells you if you're on private property or government land (which is often times okay). A heck of a lot smaller and does 1 million other things so why not consider an all in one solution?