• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for a little help on suppressor regulation

Mead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Wyoming
I'm thinking about scheduling a chat with some of my policy makers about legalizing suppressors, and wanted to be sure I was properly prepared before taking on such an endeavor.

If you can think of anything else that is sort of obscure that I should know, lay it out there. I been thinking about this for a while, so I think I have most my bases covered.

Here are some things that I don't know that I feel I should.

When the NFA was drafted in 1934, why were suppressors included? What was their status then? Is there any literature surrounding this?
Where can I find the enhanced sentencing guidelines for suppressor use in a crime? Do these crimes include poaching?
Where can I find the best statistics on crimes committed with suppressors? (I'm aware there are few if any)
Why were suppressors made illegal to own in Minnesota, and when were they made illegal?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I don't think they are in MN where op is located if I understand correctly. I had read silencer regulation had something to do with people poaching for food during the Depression. I don't remember when or where o read that so it may not be true. Could have been pols of the time just banning whatever they could, ala barrel shroud 'shoulder things that go up' and such nonsense.

When the NFA was drafted in 1934, why were suppressors included?
Poaching
What was their status then? Is there any literature surrounding this?
there should be some somewhere.

Where can I find the enhanced sentencing guidelines for suppressor use in a crime?
you would have to look at each states penal code.

Do these crimes include poaching?
Maybe, either directly or in a backdoor, general manner i.e. any crime committed with a silencer adds 10yrs and $10,000.00 to the fine.

Where can I find the best statistics on crimes committed with suppressors? (I'm aware there are few if any)
good luck. There are a few FOIA requests that eh ATF has REFUSED to respond to.

Why were suppressors made illegal to own in Minnesota, and when were they made illegal?
Not sure about MN.