• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for a Maxim 30 cal Silencer

Charger442

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2010
    South Texas
    I am interested in buying an original Maxim 30 cal silencer, the one with the eccentric bore design. Would also consider the concentric if thats all there is available. Does anybody know a dealer that has one or maybe an individual that might be looking to get rid of one?

My other option is to form 1 a can and try and use the original patents and figure out dimensions and press baffles that are close to the pictures.

suppressorhistorymain.jpg

I think you are going to be impressed with how much a "registered" original Maxim suppressor will sell for. Supposedly, very few were registered during the amnesty period in 1986.
    Best bet might be to get with someone like QuietBore to get the tube, un-drilled baffles, and undrilled end caps, and have someone knowledgeable complete the drilling to give you the offset bullet path of the Maxim. I have no idea how well the K baffles would perform with the bullet path drilled offset, but hey, much cheaper than an original Maxim.
    Sounds like a cool project and wish you the best of luck.

I think you are going to be impressed with how much a "registered" original Maxim suppressor will sell for. Supposedly, very few were registered during the amnesty period in 1986.
    Best bet might be to get with someone like QuietBore to get the tube, un-drilled baffles, and undrilled end caps, and have someone knowledgeable complete the drilling to give you the offset bullet path of the Maxim. I have no idea how well the K baffles would perform with the bullet path drilled offset, but hey, much cheaper than an original Maxim.
    Sounds like a cool project and wish you the best of luck.

Thanks. I found an auction listing for Morphy's from 2018 where one sold for $800. When paired with a period correct rifle they bring a bunch more.

If I go the form 1 route I'll do the build myself, right down to pressing the tube to hold baffles in place. Now, that may be high expectations but it's just work and just money, right?

I like that listing because it's very detailed about the can. But it's 22lr so not super helpful.

I've found some dimensions and have a plan for a FORM 1 but the only difference will be the diameter. I'm not a skilled machinist, but I can make things work. OD will be 1.5" vs. Maxim's 1.375" just for availability of threaded tubes and caps.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    I like that listing because it's very detailed about the can. But it's 22lr so not super helpful.

I've found some dimensions and have a plan for a FORM 1 but the only difference will be the diameter. I'm not a skilled machinist, but I can make things work. OD will be 1.5" vs. Maxim's 1.375" just for availability of threaded tubes and caps.
    There are tubes and caps available in 1.375 OD x 1.2xx ID. There are actually a few builds in that diameter happening as we speak at form1.org

I knew someone in my youth that found one of these 30 cal cans in a wall while doing some home renovations. Was super interesting, always wondered what if anything happened to it. If they are unregistered, there is no other choice but destroying them correct?

• Haha
    Reactions: powdahound76

Hah, it's not, I swear. I was genuinely curious. We shot the thing a few times as kids with my buddies dad on a 30/40 Krag bolt rifle. Was rather sketchy because it was so damn old. It's been almost 30 years since I saw it last, his dad passed away and lord knows where it went, maybe back in the wall.

There are tubes and caps available in 1.375 OD x 1.2xx ID. There are actually a few builds in that diameter happening as we speak at form1.org
    I'll check them out. I guess I'm looking in the wrong place for tubes because I'm not finding that diameter