• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a muzzle brake; is the APA Gen 2 Fat Bastard Self Timing a good one?

Tango down

Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Got a Remington 700 custom 308 caliber with a 20" barrel; looking at purchasing a muzzle brake. Is the APA Gen 2 Fat Bastard Self Timing a good one to get, or would you recommend something else?

Reactions: BCX
The fat bastard is a great brake, but it’s giant. Really more suited for magnums and super magnums. The little bastard would be more appropriate.

I personally prefer the Area 419 hellfire. Same cost and a better design imo.

It's definitely a decent brake. I owned it's little brother, the Lil Bastard.

I would take an Area 419 hellfire or an Insite Arms Heathen over the APA, with a preference to the Insite Arms.

They are all really good at mitigating recoil. It's the smaller details that set them apart.

I just got an Insite Heathen for my 20in 308.
Won't get to shoot with it till next week but I like the look of it. hand tightening for timing was super nice
PHOTO_20200214_105453.jpg

All of those are very good brakes. I'm partial to the impact, very easy to index and the open port keeps crown carbon free.

The fat bastard is excellent for recoil reduction. However They are big and not necessary for a 308. Little bastard or helfire is what I would use, both are excellent brakes

I would recommend an APA little bastard gen 3. It’s tune able for muzzle rise. My son shoots a gen 2 and the recoil reduction is amazing. You won’t be disappointed.

Reactions: TACC
Thanks guys, I have been shooting Sako TRG 22 and 42 for many years with Sako brakes on them, so wasn't too much aware of what else was out there anymore. I like the concept of the Hellfire from 419 and will most likely go that route for the Remington 700.

I have the gen 2 lil bastard on a 308 and I like it a lot seems to work very well

The FB is really long and probably overkill for a 308. I own two of the Gen 2 Lil Bastards and two of the Gen 3s that I haven't mounted yet. I like the Gen 2s a lot, and am looking forward to getting the Gen 3s put on (new builds).

I’m seeing pretty large diminishing returns once you move past the gen 2 little bastard.

I have gen 2 LB, Gen 2 FB, Gen 3 LB, and Gen 3 FB.

Not a ton of difference in any of them. I may just go back to 100% gen 2 LB’s.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I’m seeing pretty large diminishing returns once you move past the gen 2 little bastard.

I have gen 2 LB, Gen 2 FB, Gen 3 LB, and Gen 3 FB.

Not a ton of difference in any of them. I may just go back to 100% gen 2 LB’s.
Any new research on which is best? I'm considering between the APA fat B and the 419 sidewinder. Love the podcast btw keep up the good work!

These are all good brakes, I found the Heathen to nicer to shoot. 419 is great but seems to direct the concussion at the shooter. Heathen is a little less blast coming back at you. IMHO.

I put a Fat Bastard on my Dads G2 recon 308. It works great. I would go with a 419 hellfire now. Put two of those on my friends AR’s and I’m impressed.

more or less preference of what you want. My dad wanted very little felt recoil. Hell of a back blast.

These are all good brakes, I found the Heathen to nicer to shoot. 419 is great but seems to direct the concussion at the shooter. Heathen is a little less blast coming back at you. IMHO.

Agreed.

The Insite Heathen is in my mind, the most refined self timing brake out there.

Reactions: Steel head
Check out the PVA Jet Blast...not much concussion back at the shooter and more affordable than the others.

Reactions: dwt
I was just out at the range yesterday and I felt the little one port breaks on my buddy's 5.56 AR's blasted the shooter more than the heathen on my 308. It was also my friends daughter's first time shooting at distance and I really think the break helped this 70lb-at-most girl control the rifle and was almost immediately ringing steel consistently.

I personally only looked at self-timing breaks so I could remove it for hunting, which didn't happen last season, so my heathen has had ~600 rounds though it in the last year after being installed(almost to the day according to this thread). Hasn't moved, honestly hasn't really even gotten dirty. If I remember correctly it shifted my zero about a mil down so I would be curious to see if that stayed consistent after removal.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the breaks designed around precision shooting. I would really like to try the area 419 breaks but I've read they are similar to what I have.
Good luck I know this probably didn't help much

I prefer this one

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04