• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for a new .45 CCW

Re: Looking for a new .45 CCW

I like how this thread gets resurrected about once a week. Helps me to realize that getting a 45 CCW is just as important as I tried to explain to my wife.

As yet, I still haven't decided on a pistol yet. The big reason is that soon my wife and I are moving to Maryland and I'm trying to find out how difficult it's going to be to get a CCW there. I've heard bad things about the process. If CCW is a PITA up there, I may just get another fullsize 45 which will almost certainly be a 1911.

So, how bad is the Maryland CCW process? Is it that bad?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
On the same note I'd much rather be able to go into court saying "Well I went to the gun store (one with a good wholesome family rep, not a class III or huge AR dealer etc)

</div></div>

I understand your POV. However, there is nothing wrong with a class three dealer or shops that carry AR15's...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I found a Glock 30SF and frankly there wasn't much difference in feel from the 30 model. The 45 caliber Glocks have always felt a bit awkward, and while they're good guns, I'm starting to see they're not the pistols for me. The 40 S&W glocks may be my only options if I still want that make. More to follow. </div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">The difference in the regular glock 45 and the sf glock 45, is the sf model does not have that huge, uncomfortable, pointed hump, that gouges into the palm of your hand. Holding a 2x4 in my hand was more comfortable. Prior to the sf model, glock 45's were not for me. Thats why I went with the XD 45.
Now, if I were looking for a concealed carry, I would want as much knock down power as I could get, with as compact a gun as possible. If I'm wanting a 45 for carry, mid size 45's would be a little bigger than I would want. That narrows things down a bit.

Ultra compact 1911's can be found in several different brands.

Glock compact (not mid size) would be another good candidate. I see no need for a trigger change (unless you have the extremely heavy new york trigger). I also see no need for a finger extension. It's a compact and I want it to stay compact. Why bulk it up with a finger extension. If you can't accurately fire a a weapon, without something to wrap your pinky around, then you need to practice.

Kahr PM45
Taurus pt45

Don't know if I missed any true compact 45's. If I did, I'm sure someone will add them. </span>

I would strongly consider the M&P45 "midsize" which is a compact 4" slide on a full size frame. This is turning out to be the G-Lock 19 of the .45ACP world, and a lot of top notch instructors such as Ken Hackathorn, Hilton Yam, and Larry Vickers are recommending it. Look at getting a drop in Apex sear to improve the out of the box trigger pull and you're rock 10+1 of 45ACP. I personally like mine with the thumb safety as it mimics a 1911 and is ambi.

I'd love to try out the M&P45 myself. The instructor at the shooting school I went to last year had nothing but good things to say about the pistol.

I shot a fullsize XD this week as well. The trigger wasn't nearly as bad as the one I shot a while back. It's still too big to CC, but it's a solid pistol for the money.

Smith & Wesson does a 40% discount on one firearm per year for active duty and LE i would save a little extra and get a S&W 1911 ES Compact.

+1 on the M&P 45 compact, pretty much the same size as a G19 but has a better grip angle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smith 325 AirLite revolver? </div></div>
Frog,

I have one of these and do carry it, but I will tell you, its no plinker, kinda like an M 80 going off in your hand.