• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new barrel for the .308

pitsnipe

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
Choosing a new barrel for my Savage Mdl 10 FLCPK,

In planning ahead for the day when I have worn out the factory, 1-10 twist, 24", braked, fluted, CM barrel of my Accustocked .308 I'm researching the plethora of options and varieties out there in aftermarket barrels. I shoot largely "F" class and long range steel with this weapon. An occasional short (weighs nearly 14 lbs loaded) walk into a field for Coyotes. So, especially "F" class there are long strings of fire (15 to 20 rounds) in a relatively short period of time. So heat dissipation is important. I understand that much of what I'm asking in "brand" or "manufacturer" is Chevy, vs, Ford, vs, Dodge. Guess I'm looking for personal experience and some sound advice. I have a budget of $600.00. And plan on for the near future sticking with the Accustiock for a few reasons. It isn't THAT bad of a stock. And the cost of a McMillian A-5 is over $700.00 inleted as a drop in. I can see how the FULL potential of any new barrel might be limited with it sitting in an Accustock. But I figured to start with the barrel and save up again for the stock upgrade. So, cut rifled or button pulled? SS or CM? Pro's and cons of each? I know a stainless cant be blued, but can it be cerracoated (or something similar in durability) to cut shine down WHEN I'm out hunting dogs? What is "better" about the 5R? Still looking into THOSE details but hoping someone has something to offer there.
- I have a $600.00 budget
- I have looked at but unsure what direction to go:
- Bartlein, 1-10 twist, fluted, 5R SS and CM (cut rifled)
-Krieger, 1-10 twist, fluted, 5R SS and CM (cut rifled)
-McGowan, 1-10 twist, fluted, 5 grove in SS but they only make a CM in 6 grove (button pulled)
-Hart, 1-10 twist, fluted, SS (what I can tell they don't offer a CM barrel) 6 grove (button pulled)
and
-Lilja, 1-10 twist, fluted, didn't see the 5R option, need to look into that a little more. And of course SS or CM (button pulled)
I like the 1-10 twist for the higher BC pills, and will stick with the 24" as I would have to buy all new cases to carry the darn thing if I go any longer. And of course, I will get my local GS to fit to action and cut in the brake threads.

Thank you in advance for any and all input. Sorry to be long winded, just wanted to provide as much info as I have to this point.

Snipe

Personally I would buy a prefit since its for a savage, spend 100 bucks on getting the muzzle threaded, and use the other 100-200 for ammo.

I want to say that stockade uses McGowan Barrels, I believe Hart barrels are also offered as prefits, Criterion gets great reviews as well for something else to look at. I can't make any recommendations as to cut vs button or the 5R stuff though.

Stay away from the 10 twist unless you are going to shoot really heavy bullets. 1-12 will handle up to the 175gr class no problem. You will also get a little more speed from the slower twist as well.

I had my Savage 10 FCP- HS rebarreled with Bartlein 26" 1-10 5R SS M24. Best decision I made. It takes a LOT longer for the barrel to get hot compared to factory Savage heavy barrel. From 1st shot of the day to last all bullets go to the same place. I was looking at Bartlein krieger and brux. Gor bartlein because it was available. You cant go wrong with any of them

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback. And I thought choosin what rifle to get was complicated!

Snipe