• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for a new pistol

Re: Looking for a new pistol

I've been less than impressed with Sig's quality control lately, and I'm also not a fan of the DA/SA trigger. I'd look at a Glock or M&P instead.

What is it that you dont like about the trigger?
If got a older glock and looking to change. Maybe I need to check out the newer Glocks.

Simply the DA pull on the first shot and the SA pull on the following shots, always threw me off at the beginning of a stage when shooting IDPA. If you already have a Glock, and are considering changing, take a good look at the M&P. IMHO, better than the Glock in nearly every way, it just doesn't have the proven track record like Glock does... yet. I started with a G19, switched to a P226, and have ended up with a M&P 9mm, which I love.

Coudn't agree more in regard to the DA/SA action of the Sigs...or a lot of other pistols.

Honestly, I'm pretty easy-going with triggers on pistols, but my MAIN criteria is the trigger has to be the same, first shot to last.

For me, Glock is the answer. The M&P doesn't work for me, because I can't help but to accidentally bump the slide lock up, locking the slide back on a magazine that isn't empty. Otherwise, I can't say anything bad about them.

My buddy has a Sig 229 in 357. It's a nice gun and runs perfect, but again, I just don't dig that SA/DA trigger. Also, I tend to ride the slide catch on a Sig with my right thumb, and have the opposite problem I do with the M&P... The slide won't lock back, because I'm holding the catch down!

I'm having issues with all of my M&P mags, so I wouldn't recommend that but my Glock has had zero problems.

Love my HK USP 45, shot a 40 a while back and it ran the same just lower recoil

I don't see where the SIG DA/SA trigger is such an issue, really. It's a small adjustment from the first shot to subsequent shots, and the DA pull allows for a more deliberate (and interruptible) action. Moreover, the decocker seems less prone to contribute to brain-fart than engaging a safety. What's necessary is to learn to ride the reset after the first shot so that quick strings are more easily achieved. Frankly, if any of you are riding levers on non-1911s, get your thumbs off of them and learn the appropriate MOA for the weapon in your hand.

I got used to the DA/SA issue on M9s in the military so that doesn't bother me. As triggers go, Sig has the best DA/SA in the business out of the box. If you want the DAO, then get a trigger job for it. If you want the DA/SA, go with the Sig that fits your hand best. If the 226 fits as well as the 229, go with the full size if you're looking for a home defense pistol. The extra size and weight doesn't make any difference if you're not carrying it daily.

A Glock 22 or 35 would be my choice in 40, but if a women might have to use it a 9mm would be a better choice IMHO.

I've had sigs and they're good but I always have glocks just use to them I guess. I just ordered one of the Taurus 24/7 G2's in 40. I'll Pick it up in a few days. the pictures on their website caught my eye. Maybe some of that trick photography. i dont know we'll see.

Cajun,

If the Sig is what fits your hand, then get a Sig. I agree with the others in regards to the DA/SA trigger. HOWEVER, the DAK trigger that Sig has is pretty awesome and smooth!

Only using the parameters you gave in the OP, I'd say P229 with the DAK and night sights. A bit more compact for CCW, plenty good for home defense.

Me personally, I'm a Glock and 1911 fan. Not THEE best, just the ones that work for me.

Best of luck!

G-45

There is nothing wrong with DA/SA if that's what you train with. It's personal preference. If you like DA/SA sigs are a great choice. I also like the FNX in 9/.40 and FNP in .45. If want a consistent trigger pull there are a number of striker DAO pistols to choose from.

I have Sigs and Glocks (and want to try an M&P), but any will work, just depends on what feels good to you, how things conceal and carry for you. They are all good products I would trust.

What if I through in STI. Found a Ranger II that i like and fits my hand well. Now i'm all confused!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cajun,

If the Sig is what fits your hand, then get a Sig. I agree with the others in regards to the DA/SA trigger. HOWEVER, the DAK trigger that Sig has is pretty awesome and smooth! </div></div>

The DAK trigger is awful. It's fairly heavy and long like a revolver. I don't know anyone who can shoot that like a Glock or M&P.

My preference is single action, but having owned DAK and DA/SA, I'd go DA/SA even though I HATE the idea of having to learn two triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see where the SIG DA/SA trigger is such an issue, really. It's a small adjustment from the first shot to subsequent shots, and the DA pull allows for a more deliberate (and interruptible) action. Moreover, the decocker seems less prone to contribute to brain-fart than engaging a safety. What's necessary is to learn to ride the reset after the first shot so that quick strings are more easily achieved. Frankly, if any of you are riding levers on non-1911s, get your thumbs off of them and learn the appropriate MOA for the weapon in your hand. </div></div>

It's all habit. I've found it's easier for me to stick to 1911s than bother changing much. Thumb tends to sit on the slide catch on a Sig. As far as safeties go, if you're forgetting it whether it's flicking on or off, you need to train more with the weapon.

I just bought an M&P 40 not to long ago that I love. I being a hardcore Glock guy, have been skeptical about other polymer guns. The M&P impressed me... I wouldn't try it out and see if you like it.

The DA SA issue drove me to sell my Sigs, although they were superior pistols, accurate reliable, it was just a personal thing with me, as everything else I shoot has the same trigger pull (Glock and 1911).

I installed the Short Return Trigger on my Sig P220, but that only really improves follow on shots, not so much on the initial DA shot.

I too sold my sigs and moved to Glocks. I appreciate the simplicity of the Glock trigger. If you plan on carrying concealed, the Glock also has a weight advantage. I really do love the feel of the Sig, but the Glock has too many advantages (each one is small, but they add up) for me to go with anything else.

I'm with Kevin. I went to all Glock for its simplicity. Now I spend more on rifles...