• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new place to Live and Die

zenbiker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
GF and I are sick of Charlottesville, VA and paying taxes to a liberal mecca for the holier than thou elite. I still hold a dental license and am 55. She is 29 (really ; ) and has CMA creds. We are both trying to emerge from disability; while I'm grateful for the
help SSA and private disability as given us since my neck injury I'm hoping to return to a contributing member of a community, We don't want to die here and have been wondering about the Wyoming/Idaho/Colorado (?) area. We'd like a small cabin with a little property; my primary heritage is Appalachian-American and heat with wood, try to subsistence hunt in our little backyard, and in general arent scared of spiders and snakes . I'd like to work for a local dentist or clinic and maybe moonlight for a gun shop, and of course, have a place to shoot and hunt. For once in our lives we'd like to live around common-sense, "conservative"/like-minded people. Does such a place exist, or am I chasing smoke?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd say West Virginia, but I'm not sure a dentist could find work there.

I've been contemplating where to move to myself upon retirement.

If I were you I'd also look into what the "weather" is like where you plan to move to first. For instance, I live in Northern AZ and today at my house it sprinkled for about 10 minutes, this was the most moisture we've had since early spring. If that's not bad enough the wind has blown like crazy since March, maybe slowing down for a day a week on average. The Forest Service even banned recreational shooting including airguns it has been so dry. Rant over but you get my point.

For the second year in a row my wife and I took a spring driving vacation through parts of Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon and California scouting for places to live. So far Idaho seems like it has a good combination of most of what we like including a generally conservative mindset and friendly people. Property values aren't ridiculous. Plenty of mountains, rivers, lakes, streams which provides greenery for agriculture and ranching. We liked eastern Idaho near the southern Wyoming border best so far.

Visit Tennessee, you'll be glad you did. NO STATE INCOME TAX. Very gun/shooting/hunting/friendly (home of all things shooting). Bring your lady down to Nashville for a week, rent a car, drive through the state on some day trips, you'll end up looking for a house!

Georgia would welcome you. Really anywhere besides Atlanta or surrounding areas. Talk about a mecca. Atlanta should be its own state, really nothing like the rest of the state. I prefer to be below the fall line honestly on account of the types of folks.

Living here in Alabama and considering I lived in Savannah, Ga. 3 years of life, I would say if the South is what you want, try out the Smoky Mountains and surrounding states. Buy your property as close to 4,000 ft. above sea level as you can to help avoid the southern humidity. Look at land in the Ozarks, weather it's in Arkansas or Missouri. Lol, I say Ozarks because if the New Madrid Fault was to act up and the Mississippi widen, plus Edger Casey's prediction of the Great Lakes emptying into the Gulf, I would rather be on the West side of the river. If your on the east side of the river, and something bad happens, you have to worry about thugs that would fit in, in Somalia running around in Cadillac's with 22in. wheels raping and thieving.. Saying things like bleg edy bleg edy blue, jew ba jew ba jew and my bitch and music going boom, boom, boom!!!! Just saying... But, I've always wondered about Colorado, but they done sold their soul there. Denver is Liberal as hell, literally!! Have you ever thought about another country?? If you really are a dentist then you would be way up the food chain and would be supported by your local community for your work.. Look at Argentina.. Large German community there and wild game.. New Zealand.... I hear New Mexico has the perfect weather.. Just some ideas.. Good luck

I'd say West Virginia, but I'm not sure a dentist could find work there.

LOL, I'm a WV native, and that's what forced me to leave the state and come to VA. Worried that when Corridor G is completed, damn Robert Byrd's black KKK soul, that D.C. will flood into Greenbrier and Pocahontas, ruining some of the most beautiful land and people left in this country....

Georgia would welcome you. Really anywhere besides Atlanta or surrounding areas. Talk about a mecca. Atlanta should be its own state, really nothing like the rest of the state. I prefer to be below the fall line honestly on account of the types of folks.

Really? I'm very fond of the mountains...what is it about being above the fall line and the people? Trust me, I know mountain enclaves can be cliquish. I was wondering if there was still any gold in Dahlonega...

We'd like a small cabin with a little property; my primary heritage is Appalachian-American and heat with wood, try to subsistence hunt in our little backyard, and in general arent scared of spiders and snakes . I'd like to work for a local dentist or clinic and maybe moonlight for a gun shop, and of course, have a place to shoot and hunt. For once in our lives we'd like to live around common-sense, "conservative"/like-minded people. Does such a place exist, or am I chasing smoke?

As much as people give Colorado well-deserved shit, I would recommend certain areas. I have 21 acres up in the Rockies 60 miles west of here and it is our little slice of paradise. I have an artesian well on the land which attracts an amazing array of critters (bear, mulie, fox, owl, badger, hawk, you name it). The neighbors are all conservative and sincerely decent people. The seasons are beautiful, summers are not too hot and the winters are comparatively mild (you're not going to get eight feet of snow dumped on you at once).

You will be about an hour and a half to the Buena Vista DOW range (my favorite) and three hours to the Whittington Center if the mood strikes. That's if the range you set up on your property doesn't have the distance you want. Check it out. I think you'll like it

PRMS0022.JPG

2013-01-27_11-04-39_234.jpg

2012-08-22_12-42-08_266.jpg

Last edited:
Really? I'm very fond of the mountains...what is it about being above the fall line and the people? Trust me, I know mountain enclaves can be cliquish. I was wondering if there was still any gold in Dahlonega...

I didnt mean like that. Mountains definitely hold some good folks up there, and Ive told my family numerous times I plan to buy some property somewhere in the Blue Ridge. I hail from the sandy southern part of the state and after living in Atlanta for college for a while now, this is what I think of when I think North Ga. I know the mountains are different, but Atlanta makes me want to purge my gut. Nearly everyone here lives in a superficial version of reality, like mini Hollywood. Case in point, you see a chick on instagram/twitter/etc, and she looks like a damn supermodel, like seriously bad to the bone smoking hot. Then see her in real life, and its like what happened - overweight, fugly face, no ass or tits.. Needless to say, I deleted all my social network accounts long ago. Any people I care to associate with know how to reach me. When it comes to picking up people of the female variety, gotta see em in person first. Social media is all lies, basically if someone drew a picture of themself with no flaws thats what social sites are.

This whole state and the states surrounding it are awesome - excluding Atlanta, and probably Memphis too. I wouldnt mind heading to Arkansas; my favorite book as a kid was about a Arkansas kid with 2 coon hounds and his treks through the mountains trying to hunt them. Kind of a children`s book but I cant remember the name, and they actually made a movie about it a while back. Does anyone know which one Im talking about? Good read.

I'm going through the same analysis myself. Spent 4 years in Idaho, Treasure Valley area, in the mid 90's and really loved it. Northern Idaho is great too! Even while I was there the libs were invading and locals didn't care for the changes they brought. Still many great people there, but it's not there secret haven it used to be.

I've ruled out the Treasure Valley area, because of the west coast migration into the area. While northern Idaho is still beautiful and wild in many areas, the spring, summer and fall are too short for me. Besides, I believe the northern states will see harsher winters for the next several years. Last winter really changed my outlook on where to live.

I'm now considering NW Arkansas - Ozark region. It still has seasonal changes and offers many opportunities for the outdoors sportsmen.

I didnt mean like that. Mountains definitely hold some good folks up there, and Ive told my family numerous times I plan to buy some property somewhere in the Blue Ridge. I hail from the sandy southern part of the state and after living in Atlanta for college for a while now, this is what I think of when I think North Ga. I know the mountains are different, but Atlanta makes me want to purge my gut. Nearly everyone here lives in a superficial version of reality, like mini Hollywood. Case in point, you see a chick on instagram/twitter/etc, and she looks like a damn supermodel, like seriously bad to the bone smoking hot. Then see her in real life, and its like what happened - overweight, fugly face, no ass or tits.. Needless to say, I deleted all my social network accounts long ago. Any people I care to associate with know how to reach me. When it comes to picking up people of the female variety, gotta see em in person first. Social media is all lies, basically if someone drew a picture of themself with no flaws thats what social sites are.

This whole state and the states surrounding it are awesome - excluding Atlanta, and probably Memphis too. I wouldnt mind heading to Arkansas; my favorite book as a kid was about a Arkansas kid with 2 coon hounds and his treks through the mountains trying to hunt them. Kind of a children`s book but I cant remember the name, and they actually made a movie about it a while back. Does anyone know which one Im talking about? Good read.

I do believe that book is "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls, but i think it takes place in north eastern Oklahoma. Great book! I have a copy that is pretty much shot from reading it so many times.

If you like snow (average 20' of snowfall) then the Tug Hill Region of NY is not bad. Pretty Conservative people, but NYC/Albany/Buffalo/Rochester Cities pretty much set the gun laws and taxes so it sucks big time for those things.

I do believe that book is "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls, but i think it takes place in north eastern Oklahoma. Great book! I have a copy that is pretty much shot from reading it so many times.

If you like snow (average 20' of snowfall) then the Tug Hill Region of NY is not bad. Pretty Conservative people, but NYC/Albany/Buffalo/Rochester Cities pretty much set the gun laws and taxes so it sucks big time for those things.

Thats the one. I read the book so many times when I was younger and been trying to remember the name to pick up a new copy. Thanks.

Ozarks...wait, you need people with teeth ;)
Seriously though, Mt. Home, AR is a fairly wealthy area considering, but is close to the white river, Bull shoals lake, North fork lake and river, and the Buffalo National River. It is an amazing area. People are great, and the countryside is even better. Doctors and dentists do well here.

I was thinking here in WV also. We are conservative and have plenty of land to hunt. Could find work in a gun shop I am sure. As for the dentist part if working on dentures count then yea you can work for a dentist haha joking. Most of us have all 10 teeth we are supposed to.

Lol!!!! Damn, I can tell you ain't from around here, that was a whole different language Forgetful Coyote just spoke at cha!!! Come down here to visit for yourself.. It want take you long to figure it out!!

Lol!! Zen Biker!! I'm going to help ya out a little Brother.. You know when you turn on BET television and you see someone that resembles the Tar Baby, from Brier Rabbit childrens book,, except with gold teeth and pants around their knees.. You know, the kind that like to mess up a family blood line if you turn your back??? Okay! Maybe others disagree, but I have 34yr of my life in the Deep South, so I am probably an expert on the matter, as everyone else born here.. Just saying..

Hey, Jessie Ventura did a special on that huge house / fortress in the Ozarks.. I believe it was in Missouri.. He said, that their were more banks and money per square mile, for the population, than any place in the U.S. Check it out, Google, Jessie Venture and Ozark Mountain Castle.. They say the Gov. has been sneaking around there like it maybe some type of safe zone / staging area.. I don't know, but logistically I would like to relocate to a place I didn't have to worry as much in case of a disaster.. Keep family safe is #1!!

If you can deal with heat and humidity, I'd say Southwest Louisiana. Friendly people, great food, plenty of shit to shoot and no one will even look twice if you stop to pick up fresh roadkill for dinner. Hell, you could get a houseboat and roam the Atchafalaya Basin while still being within an easy drive of Lafayette for work.

If you can deal with heat and humidity, I'd say Southwest Louisiana. Friendly people, great food, plenty of shit to shoot and no one will even look twice if you stop to pick up fresh roadkill for dinner. Hell, you could get a houseboat and roam the Atchafalaya Basin while still being within an easy drive of Lafayette for work.

But wouldnt that be an iffy proposition if, say, another Katrina was to start its way through the Gulf? Thats the only thing thats ever scared me about La and Miss. and why I would really like to have me a hideaway on high ground..

But wouldnt that be an iffy proposition if, say, another Katrina was to start its way through the Gulf? Thats the only thing thats ever scared me about La and Miss. and why I would really like to have me a hideaway on high ground..

Not really. I was a cop in Lafayette when Hurricane Andrew came through in 1992 and Lafayette did fine (it hit that part of the state a lot harder than Katrina). Lafayette did fine during Katrina, and even during Rita immediately following. If you go far enough south in La, or anywhere on the Gulf Coast for that matter, then you need to worry, but the area surrounding Lafayette rides out the storms very well.

Unlike tornadoes, you typically know well in advance that a hurricane is coming, Katrina being a rare exception. In that part of La, a massive hurricane is just another excuse for a huge party.

ETA: Unlike NOLA, where I'm originally from, your neighbors in SW Louisiana are the folks you WANT to ride out a disaster with. There are no strangers there and I've never felt a sense of belonging and community as strongly as I did while living and working in Cajun Country.

Last edited:
OK, consider Idaho: if we were to take a couple of weeks to look around and wanted to be in a rural area with access to a good hospital (we both have pretty screwed up backs and I have titanium holding my head on my body), "affordable" real estate and cost of living, i.e. not artificially inflated by movie stars living close by or something like Yellowstone, decent and down to earth people who like to shoot, where would someone who knows Idaho recommend that we start?

LOL!! " Down to earth people who like to shoot ", you just gave me an idea!! Imaging a gated community, like the ones on golf courses, but have one that caters to shooters. A gun friendly community!!! You would have no crime whatsoever!!! I've seen hunting communities like that before, where everybody has excess to the 10,000 acres they live on..
OK, consider Idaho: if we were to take a couple of weeks to look around and wanted to be in a rural area with access to a good hospital (we both have pretty screwed up backs and I have titanium holding my head on my body), "affordable" real estate and cost of living, i.e. not artificially inflated by movie stars living close by or something like Yellowstone, decent and down to earth people who like to shoot, where would someone who knows Idaho recommend that we start?

I live in SW Louisiana and would second SW LA...close to all sorts of career opportunity's...plenty of hunting and fishing...long range shooting clubs are limited though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!! " Down to earth people who like to shoot ", you just gave me an idea!! Imaging a gated community, like the ones on golf courses, but have one that caters to shooters. A gun friendly community!!! You would have no crime whatsoever!!! I've seen hunting communities like that before, where everybody has excess to the 10,000 acres they live on..

I wonder why this hasn't been done yet? Wait...permit processes, zoning, noise control....just look at how hard it is to put in a new shooting range....

Texas! The hill country of the piney woods of east Texas. West Texas, South Texas on the Gulf. I've lived in many places, but I'm moving to Texas.
As Davey Crockett said: "Ya'll can got hell, I'm going to Texas"!

Cheers,

George

You would not want to move to Wyoming unless you:

1) Like thousands of acres of public land for shooting / hunting / hiking /camping
2) Enjoy fishing countless non crowded wild streams and rivers for native cut throat trout without anyone else to talk to to except grizzly bears
3) Expect to have a regular conversations with young women bank tellers regarding freedom, guns, and what Elk, Moose, Deer, Antelope or bear tags you drew for Fall
4) Anticipate that most garage sales have more reloading supplies / guns / fishing equipment than old furniture and VHS tapes
5) Can put up with continual conversation regarding the inept Federal Government
6) If neighbors volunteer to help you build your log cabin and take care of your horses when you are on vacation

1) Like thousands of acres of public land for shooting / hunting / hiking /camping
2) Enjoy fishing countless non crowded wild streams and rivers for native cut throat trout without anyone else to talk to to except grizzly bears
3) Expect to have a regular conversations with young women bank tellers regarding freedom, guns, and what Elk, Moose, Deer, Antelope or bear tags you drew for Fall
4) Anticipate that most garage sales have more reloading supplies / guns / fishing equipment than old furniture and VHS tapes
5) Can put up with continual conversation regarding the inept Federal Government
6) If neighbors volunteer to help you build your log cabin and take care of your horses when you are on vacation

Paradise basically huh?

Deschutes county in Oregon has a massive medical industry compared to the rest of the countys sectors. and its growing. ...

And we have a heck of a range out here :)

Opps, you forgot a coupls, SNOW up to your neck. And you'll a couple of snow mobiles and a diesel powered snow blower! :cool:

Cheers,

George

Opps, you forgot a coupls, SNOW up to your neck. And you'll a couple of snow mobiles and a diesel powered snow blower! :cool:

Cheers,

George

This is my concern about living in the northern part of our country, specifically in altitudes where the evergreens transition from Junipers to tall pines. Down here where I live in AZ at 7000 ft up in the Ponderosa's the snow is melting off pretty good by middle March and rarely does it snow more than 2 feet.

On our recent vacation I noticed that the pine trees grow at lower altitudes the farther north we went, which is what I'd prefer. I'm trying to avoid living in a area that doesn't thaw out till end of April. Anybody care to comment on how far north they'd like to live if they were trying to avoid such?

South East Idaho is a great place to live, you should look into the area. Idaho Falls, Pocatello. Easy life style. You can't go wrong. I can be your Tour Guide

Last edited:
Des chutes county in Oregon has a massive medical industry compared to the rest of the county's sectors. and its growing. ...

And we have a heck of a range out here :)

Central Oregon is a nice area.
If one can stand cold weather the town of Seneca Population 197 has paved streets,city water and sewer.

I say, the SniperHide community, get together and form a township like that one in Central America that drank the cool aid!! But, we don't drink any cool aid, just shoot a lot... We will be like a motorcycle club but with guns!! LOL!! Okay, so where ya'll want to move now saying that?? That may help the OP with his choice..

Like I said im from LA but if I had to relocate....It would be Texas....I believe if Texas would segregate most of us here would most likely end up there anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, but Texas is hard on medical use of marihuana and promotes the use of dangerous legal drugs in it's place!! Being right there on the trafficking highway, you would think they would legalize it, to take the money out of the cartel's hand's! But, wait and thank,,, that would take money from the one's within Texas, that benefit from the illegalization!

We live in Colorado, just west of Denver where all the libs are (including Boulder) but the rest of the state is pretty conservative. We have a ranch that borders Wyoming and would love to live there but as someone earlier said, it's really windy. Check out northwest Colorado, there's a little town called Walden with everything you're looking for and it's not too far (an hour) from Steamboat with an airport, top notch medical care (as it's a major ski resort) and great restaurants. The difference between Steamboat and northern Colorado, as it's not just a resort like Vail but still a ranching community. And yea, we need more republican voters!

Also as I'm sure you know Absarocca County is fictional but Walden looks like Longmire country and weed is legal if that's your thing!

Last edited: