• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new rifle

Fabio760

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
I’m sure this is probably thread number 8 million but I came here specifically to ask this question seeing as how this seems to be the place to go. I’m looking for a rifle capable of 0.5 MOA, 1000yds, using factory ammo non custom build. Reason being this is my first long range rifle and custom builds seem to go over my head. And yes I know I also have to become capable of being able to be on target but figured I’d start with equipment that can do so and work on myself. looking to spend 2-4g on the rifle and then get a night force or leupold thrown on top. Currently bouncing around the idea of a Barret 98B, Christensen arms MPR, ARC Nucleus or Archimedes. Mainly looking at 6.5CM or 300win mag. If you guys have any recommendations for rifles or companies it would be greatly appreciated thank you all.

Zermatt Arms TL3, or depending on your budget Zermatt Arms Origin, Badrock Southfork, Havak Bravo, KRG SOTIC all excellent options.

Whoa shit....can *you* shoot .5 MOA at 1K yards? I can't...my nephew can. He can't with his rifle but he does with my Savage 10 FCP-SR "Frankengun" and it pisses him off.

Non custom build mine is...cheapo Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM in an MDT chassis with XLR Extreme buttstock, Area 419 Hellfire brake, Atlas bipod and all kinds of strapped on goodies but basically it's a out of the box production rifle that has been tweaked with goodies and add ons. Not a custom gun and probably highly frowned upon except it shoots lights out in the right hands. Not pretty - not politically correct but it fits the criteria.

Prone200yards.jpg

The $500 MDT chassis and the Extreme buttstock from XLR helped me but seriously the gun probably would be a sub MOA (was a sub MOA) gun in it's original Accustock from the factory.

VooDoo

Reactions: yej0001
Get you a $200 Howa barreled action and $200 stock and a shitload of ammo.

• Haha
Reactions: SonicBurlap
What about GA Precision rifles? How do those stack up to the nucleus? As far as the tikka goes it seems pretty straightforward any reason other than cost savings to go that route? Thanks guys deep into the research right now

What about GA Precision rifles? How do those stack up to the nucleus? As far as the tikka goes it seems pretty straightforward any reason other than cost savings to go that route? Thanks guys deep into the research right now
I read your post wrong. I thought you wanted a rifle to learn with and then drop some real coin on one after you got the basics down. With a budget of $2-$4k for a rifle you should check out a Sako trg 22. Eurooptic has a few. Good luck and happy shooting

Alamo Precision has some nice rifles in that price range.

Factory rifle with factory ammo capable of .5" MOA at 1000 yards and I'm assuming you don't want to dick around playing the parts swap game to get it there.
Sako TRG-22 or an AI in 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem would be two solid choices.

Reactions: moosemeat
I would take a hard look at SHAEN RIFLE'S I have spoken to him a handful of times and he's very smart and I believe he has that thing I have... OCFD lol
Here's his number 760-920-3990 he's on comms from 8:00 a.m. till 11:00 p.m. almost my hours lol

Mike R.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Scott
MRAD. More than I can even get into on here but it's a fine rifle, .5MOA @ 1500m or y, $4500 from a member on here. Like new rifle, just bought in March. Will also be my .300 PRC and .308 bolt guns as well. What the 98B grew up to be. VERY well designed, super light, only real weight is the barrel itself. Amazing weapon, pretty much the entire military is switching to this one rifle! .338LM is optimized for 300gr. bullets.

Just make sure to get the small dia. bolt body or else work the price down $400 because you'll need it to swap barrels. Newer rifles have small dia., older ones don't.

Good luck!

Alamo Precision has some nice rifles in that price range.

They sure do never heard of them but I’m liking what I see thank you for making things harder haha
Could find an AI AT in the PX for that price range and get a barrel for whatever SA caliber you want.

I look into that thank you
Factory rifle with factory ammo capable of .5" MOA at 1000 yards and I'm assuming you don't want to dick around playing the parts swap game to get it there.
Sako TRG-22 or an AI in 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem would be two solid choices.

Correct don’t want to dick around with having a multi step process I want something ready to go out of the box and at some point down the road make my own custom rifle

MRAD. More than I can even get into on here but it's a fine rifle, .5MOA @ 1500m or y, $4500 from a member on here. Like new rifle, just bought in March. Will also be my .300 PRC and .308 bolt guns as well. What the 98B grew up to be. VERY well designed, super light, only real weight is the barrel itself. Amazing weapon, pretty much the entire military is switching to this one rifle! .338LM is optimized for 300gr. bullets.

Just make sure to get the small dia. bolt body or else work the price down $400 because you'll need it to swap barrels. Newer rifles have small dia., older ones don't.

Good luck!

I’ve considered the MRAD just don’t know how often I’d change calibers hence why I thought the 98b would be a great option but I’ll revisit it thanks

Good luck!
$4500 for a MRAD is a hell of good deal. I’d do that in a heartbeat

1/2 moa at 1000 yards...
Is that all day long or just when you do your part?

I think this has guys confused I didn’t mean half moa at 1000yrds I mean capable of 1000yrds which granted is physically possible for a lot of guns but something accurate to 1000yrds. Secondly something that carries a half moa guarantee or better. I’m not claiming to be a professional never did just want to know if things aren’t going right it’s me not the gun.

I think this has guys confused I didn’t mean half moa at 1000yrds I mean capable of 1000yrds which granted is physically possible for a lot of guns but something accurate to 1000yrds. Secondly something that carries a half moa guarantee or better. I’m not claiming to be a professional never did just want to know if things aren’t going right it’s me not the gun.

It's not unrealistic for many rifles but expecting that out of mass produced ammunition may be the achiles heel.
While there are some great match ammo offerings I personally feel that none can compare to precision handloads tailored specifically to the rifle.

Reactions: RTH1800
Daniel Defense just released a newer version of their Delta 5, the Delta 5 Pro. Check it out. Comes in at $2499.

Daniel Defense just released a newer version of their Delta 5, the Delta 5 Pro. Check it out. Comes in at $2499.

You can build a hell of alot better rifle than that for the same money.
Or get one from a know quality like GAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrindecisive
What parts? I want it to weigh less than 11lbs.

All of the weight is in the barrel and stock/chassis.
Choose the parts needed to achieve the weight you want it's not rocket science.
If i want an 11 pound rifle I'm not going to choose a 1.250" straight bull barrel.
And what does your wants for an 11 pound rifle have anything to do with the OP.

Last edited: