• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes looking for a new scope

Bigchaza

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
AUS NSW
So i know what i want i just haven't found it yet hoping someone with more experience can chime in and enlighten me.

So this is the rifle its a SAC built 18.5 inch short rifle I use for goat and hog extermination and all of my hunts/home killed beef currently I have a aimpoint H-1 as a second sight and a spur mount I use this rifle anywhere from 10 yards to 600 yards, also I practice with it out to 1000. I love it to death use it all the time so I want to buy my baby some fancy Glass (I currently use a vortex viper pst mil mil with mil hash marks its great (doesn't feel tough enough) but I have other rifles I would put it on to have better glass on my carry most days rifle.)

so what im looking for is a scope
with around about 3-20 magnification anything near that will do
compact
tough
ffp
mil hash marks on the reticle preferably an with open center, if it has a christmas tree thats fine but not necessary
locking turrets in mil's with lots of mils per rotation
great glass
Holds zero even if I use as a baseball bat and tracks like a pro
Hasn't had a long list of people reporting repairs needed I live in remote Australia so getting any repairs done is like being raped by a donkey

anything that fits this description, I'm in no rush so even if its still in the works thats fine.

Attachments

• IMG_7942.jpg
    IMG_7942.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Best compact scope for me has been the March F 3-24X 42 mm non illuminated for about $2250 here in the States. I know they're available in Australia, but think the price is more. They are made with illumination for $500 more and just came out with a 52 mm version, but have not had any issues with my 42 mm which is about $500 less. Many other good scopes out there also, but not sure about availability in Australia. Good luck!

The Bushnell Tactical Elite FFP 3.5-21X50 scope with the G2DMR reticle is one terrific scope. It's tough but I don't know how it would hold up against a baseball bat.

I just received a kahles from Sport optics and I can't imagine being happier. IIRC someone said the kahles rep in Australia is pretty bad, so you might want to check that out first. The new Steiner is supposed to ship to Australia and they're going to be <2000. One of your countrymen was more than a little happy about that.

That looks nice how tough are they?
I shot over 1500 rounds of 338LM with my March FX 5-40X with FML-1 reticle. Sold it due to the 0.05 mil clicks, which confused me, because all my other rifles are 0.1 mil clicks. Keep the March F 3-24X with 30 mm tube and 42 mm objective on my DTA SRS A1 with 260, 308 & 338LM conversions now over 3000 rounds with no issues and still tracking great! Has 5 year warranty from Deon, but the distributor here in the US has said he will cover them Lifetime, a least for the original owner. Many reviews here on the Hide you should Search and check and check them out! Used by many many bench rest shooter, but the two I mentioned ate their Tacticle scopes.

So i know what i want i just haven't found it yet hoping someone with more experience can chime in and enlighten me.

So this is the rifle its a SAC built 18.5 inch short rifle I use for goat and hog extermination and all of my hunts/home killed beef currently I have a aimpoint H-1 as a second sight and a spur mount I use this rifle anywhere from 10 yards to 600 yards, also I practice with it out to 1000. I love it to death use it all the time so I want to buy my baby some fancy Glass (I currently use a vortex viper pst mil mil with mil hash marks its great (doesn't feel tough enough) but I have other rifles I would put it on to have better glass on my carry most days rifle.)

so what im looking for is a scope
with around about 3-20 magnification anything near that will do
compact
tough
ffp
mil hash marks on the reticle preferably an with open center, if it has a christmas tree thats fine but not necessary
locking turrets in mil's with lots of mils per rotation
great glass
Holds zero even if I use as a baseball bat and tracks like a pro
Hasn't had a long list of people reporting repairs needed I live in remote Australia so getting any repairs done is like being raped by a donkey

anything that fits this description, I'm in no rush so even if its still in the works thats fine.

Subject to how much you want to spend, this fits your requirements nicely:

Tactical 3-24 x 52 FFP $3200 without illumination, $3650 with illumination.

I own a 5-40x56 and love it, so I'm probably a little biased when it comes to March, but they're certainly compact, the glass is top notch, the adjustments are top notch, the zero stop is easy to use, and apparently the eyebox on the 3-24x52 is a bit more forgiving than it's smaller brother...

Some of the other obvious options like a Leupold MK6 tactical are not available here due to it being classed as an ITAR item, so getting them in Australia would be very difficult. A mid-priced option would be Bushnell. Nightforce BEAST is an "alpha" option like the March, availability would be the main issue here at present.

Have you looked at the new Vortex RAZOR HD Gen II offerings? The glass is supposed to be better than the original RAZOR, & you're not going to be "donkey raped" by the warranty / customer service. Price is roughly $2500.

Also a fan of March with their new 0.1 mil turrets available in July. Though it might be a good idea to look at the new Steiners 3-15 and 5-25(no 3-20) but at the price point they're aiming for it shouldn't be an issue. I know they'll be distributed by Beretta in AUS but not sure when. They're expected to hit shelves here in September. Hope this helps.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...2-new-steiner-t5xi-tactical-rifle-scopes.html

I originally brought up March and do love them, but I have the new Steiner T5Xi on preorder, since it sure sounds like it will meet all my needs. Time will tell. They say patience is a virtue, but I feel it to be more of a pain.

So Ive gone away and thought about it for a few days and I think this is a good way to aproach it. Right now my favourite is the March 3-24-52 but Ill watch the release of the steiner tx5i tactical series and the new razor series see how they rate and what it does to the scope market.

So Ive gone away and thought about it for a few days and I think this is a good way to aproach it. Right now my favourite is the March 3-24-52 but Ill watch the release of the steiner tx5i tactical series and the new razor series see how they rate and what it does to the scope market.
I agree with you completely, since I have the two new scopes you mentioned on preorder, but love my March F 3-24X 42 mm with FML-1 reticle. I think you would be happy with any of these scopes, but remember the March and Steiner will be much smaller and lighter than the new 3lb ​Vortex!!!!

For me I'm weighing up between a razor 4.5-27 or the new Steiner 5-25. If the Steiner is all it claims I'll go Steiner because it's priced well.