• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for a prism scope.

• Thread starter Deleted member 113831
  • Start date
My currently issued Vortex Spitfire appears to be a bit better. Most of the ones issued are universally hated. Oh... did I mention I hate these things?
Issued by who? Does the Vortex Spitfire seem durable enough for 'duty use'?

I've played with them and with the Burris versions of the same basic design. I suspect other brands use them too.

They are perfectly serviceable, but I think the TriHawk I am looking at is a step up from the Spitfire 3X.

ILya
Do you happen to know the IPX rating on the Vortex Spitfire? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Issued by who? Does the Vortex Spitfire seem durable enough for 'duty use'?
By the police department I work at.

Ehh, its held zero while riding in a rifle rack. So kudos to its ability to withstand a ton of vibration. I really do hate the reticle though, the one with two circles and a dot. One circle, the outer one, is enough. Went to change the battery in it a week ago and found the battery had nearly split in half and had to use a flathead to wedge it out. New lithium battery appears to be working though.

Would rather use a PA Cyclops though as it is a better optic with a far superior reticle.

Reactions: Argent
Gotta throw a hat in here. I'm a prism scope loyalist at this point, and I've tried a lot of them extensively paying particular attention to what is good and bad about them with the goal of finding a favorite and putting it on all my guns (and selling the others). I can say that the only one I didn't like was the Burris. The Primary Arms Glx and the Vortex Spitfire are somewhat comparable. The PA is better in terms of quality, but the PA reticle is not for me and I liked the green reticle in the spitfire. Both are lightweight, have good glass, good eye relief, Vortex cheaped on the attachment hardware and PA didn't. Currently waiting on a repair for the spitfire 1x because the mounting screws were such cheap metal they stripped with 25 inch pounds of torque. Then I will sell it. All said, still a good prism for the money.

The best prism scope and the prism scope that really got me is the Sig Bravo 3 and 5. I honestly put the Bravo up there with any ACOG. The glass is great, the field of view is without a doubt the best of every prism, and it is grossly durable. I would wager it's nearly as indestructible as an ACOG for a fraction of the cost. It is my go-to prism, and I put it on everything now, but it must be said that it is quite heavy and not nearly as compact as the PA or the vortex. The reticle is also very small, and I have seen a number of reviews reporting canted reticles (though I have never had that problem and have several of them, I think they fixed it). It is indeed unobtainium, but I found a dealer last year that had a bunch so I ended up with five or six. I actually have one Bravo 5 with the 5.56/7.62 reticle and no gun to put it on.

Based on OP's needs, the Bravo is king. If you want it to double as a self-defense gun, get the Bravo 3 or get the Bravo 5 and put a micro red dot on the rails on the optic itself.

Gotta throw a hat in here. I'm a prism scope loyalist at this point, and I've tried a lot of them extensively paying particular attention to what is good and bad about them with the goal of finding a favorite and putting it on all my guns (and selling the others). I can say that the only one I didn't like was the Burris. The Primary Arms Glx and the Vortex Spitfire are somewhat comparable. The PA is better in terms of quality, but the PA reticle is not for me and I liked the green reticle in the spitfire. Both are lightweight, have good glass, good eye relief, Vortex cheaped on the attachment hardware and PA didn't. Currently waiting on a repair for the spitfire 1x because the mounting screws were such cheap metal they stripped with 25 inch pounds of torque. Then I will sell it. All said, still a good prism for the money.

The best prism scope and the prism scope that really got me is the Sig Bravo 3 and 5. I honestly put the Bravo up there with any ACOG. The glass is great, the field of view is without a doubt the best of every prism, and it is grossly durable. I would wager it's nearly as indestructible as an ACOG for a fraction of the cost. It is my go-to prism, and I put it on everything now, but it must be said that it is quite heavy and not nearly as compact as the PA or the vortex. The reticle is also very small, and I have seen a number of reviews reporting canted reticles (though I have never had that problem and have several of them, I think they fixed it). It is indeed unobtainium, but I found a dealer last year that had a bunch so I ended up with five or six. I actually have one Bravo 5 with the 5.56/7.62 reticle and no gun to put it on.

Based on OP's needs, the Bravo is king. If you want it to double as a self-defense gun, get the Bravo 3 or get the Bravo 5 and put a micro red dot on the rails on the optic itself.

Are you basing this on the Vortex Spitfire Gen 2?

Have you gotten to test out the Steiner T-series?

I have a gen2 spitfire and it's a pretty big step up from the gen1 (which I have that one also). I haven't seen the new PA offering so I can't say how it compares but the gen2 vortex is really sweet. Glass is excellent. Reticle is. Great (which is pretty much standard O.P for vortex honestly). It's super compact, nearly half the size of the gen1 3x and I have the new. 5x. I'm extremely happy with it. The only thing that isn't great is the caps. Why they did those Shitty caps I will never know. The flip caps on the gen1 are great, don't know why they didn't down size those and put them on the gen2??? The caps absolutely suck. Otherwise, I love it

Reactions: Nivium

I'm basing it off of the gen 1 (the flimsy mountain hardware, etc). I've looked through a Gen 2 and it has the same great reticle crispness as the gen 1, good glass and eye relief. Like I said, the spitfire (gen 1 and 2) is an excellent optic. If Vortex improved the quality of the mounting hardware from the gen 1 version, I would say the gen 2 is probably a great piece of hardware, though expensive compared to the PA and the Bravo.

All things considered, the Bravo still wins, at least for my purposes. The field of view on the Bravo is out of control and the optic itself is a tank. Plus, you can pick them up for 250 if you are very patient.

I have not tried the Steiner. Honestly, Steiner is one of the few companies I have never tried for any type of optic. For all types of optics, I've used Vortex, PA, Sig, Nightforce, Trijicon, Kahles, Leupold, Swaro, Holosun and Eotech. I have more or less settled on Sig for my prisms, Holosun for my red dots, Trijicon for my LPVOs and Nightforce for my scopes. Still no solid answer for BUIS, but I'm leaning towards Ultradyne.

The Steiner may be amazing, but since I think you get so much for your money with the Bravo, I'm not going to spend that much on a prism. Would love to know other people's thoughts, though.