• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a replacement 9mm powder, any suggestions.

Starvingboy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2013
I cannot for the life of me find my usual HS-6, and I've finally run out of 9mm. I have all the other components, just no powder. I load using a dillon 650, and HS-6 always metered very well, so I'm looking for something similar. Anyone have any recommendations that are currently available?

I have been able to find AA No.5 and 7 pretty regularly here locally. It doesn't seem to be a very popular powder but it works for me. Very small ball powder that meters very well.

I have switched all my hand gun loads to Winchester autocomp. It works extremely well for all of my loads from 9mm, 9mm major, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and my 38 super comp. it meters really nicely like the SP2 powder and lowers the internal pressures on the 9mm major and 40. It is very dense so it is not a compressed load on the major or super comp. it is also reasonably priced.

I probably have 40-50k down range with great results.

I have a Dillon 650 and have used Titegroup, Unique and Power Pistol for my 9mm.

I find that the Unique is harder to keep an accurate weight because of the flakiness of the powder. But I know some people love it because it is a very versatile powder and can be used for many calibers.

I like the low weight needed of the Titegroup, since I can reload a lot with one bottle, but there's a greater chance of over charging the case too...

Power Pistol uses a little more powder, but is easier to measure, and because of that, it's my favorite powder.

I'd use any of the three, and am scared to try others since im sure they'd be fine too, but I'd rather stick to one handgun powder and Power Pistol is my choice.

I have switched all my hand gun loads to Winchester autocomp. It works extremely well for all of my loads from 9mm, 9mm major, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and my 38 super comp. it meters really nicely like the SP2 powder and lowers the internal pressures on the 9mm major and 40. It is very dense so it is not a compressed load on the major or super comp. it is also reasonably priced.

I probably have 40-50k down range with great results.

This ^^^ I've been extremely happy with it.

Thanks Gents, I'll see what I can scare up locally. Its slim pickings around here lately.

Bullseye. That says it all. 231 is as good, I think. However Bullseye works great in my .45-70.405 grain soft lead bullets. 3.5 grains BE. 800fps. Silent. Yours may vary.

I use Clays for soft shooting 9mm 147 and 40sw 180 minor loads, remember I said minor loads.

I run Bullseye as well for 115's, but have taken a shining to Hodgdon Longshot and Berry's 147's. I drop either straight from my LEE powder measure into the case and they meter great. Unless you're pushing the velocities (and pressures) high the Longshot can be on the dirty side, though.

I researched this topic on the Brian Enos forum and ended up switching to TiteGroup based on most of the feedback there. I've been happy with it for 147gr FMJ loads (minor PF). Soft shooting and reliable at 3.4 grains of powder.

I'd look at Winchester powders, 231, WSF, WSL, they burn clean. One suggestion, list your location, a lot of places have powder but can't or wont ship, some store 40 miles from you may have more powder than you can handle.

I use Bullseye for 9mm and .45ACP, mostly because I've got it. But it works pretty well, and it seems to shoot cleaner than WWB (and MUCH more accurate).

So many good choices in 9mm its not funny. I run HP38 for my bulk 124gr FMJ loads. Buddy uses Titegroup, works great for him. Several people I know swear by Trueblue. AA #5 or #7 have a good rep. WST and WSF work good too, though load data is not as common. All of the above work fine in a Dillon press.