• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for a scope, but don’t know what

LPD5408(2)

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
Illinois
I’m looking for a new scope. About 5 years ago I left the Sniper position at work and set my precision rigs aside. Since then I have sold most of my rifles and scopes. And I have not kept up with the market.

Here is what I’m looking for
30mm tube
SFP
Mil/Mil
Price under $1500 and I’m not opposed to buying used.
It will be going on top of an AR platform in .223/5.56 with an 18” barrel. I have ready access to a 600 yard range so my ideal use is 0-600.

Currently I have a Steiner 1-5x24 t5xi. It is actually adequate for my needs but I would like a Mil/Mil reticle. If I find something it would be sold to help offset the cost.

What should I be looking at and what other questions should I be seeking answers for?

Any particular reason you want a SFP vs a FFP? The FFP market is flooded with a lot of really good options right now in that price range.

Any particular reason you want a SFP vs a FFP? The FFP market is flooded with a lot of really good options right now in that price range.
The main reason is I am familiar with SFP scopes. All of the scopes I have used were and have been SFP. Not saying it’s a must just what I know

I agree with Eoddave, if you want a top end magnification over 6x, I would look at ffp. You may want to use your reticle at something less than full magnification when shooting at 400-600 yards, but still need to do hold overs or measure for corrections.

Edit: do you want an lpvo 1-X or something with more magnification?

FFP for sure. Couple bills more gets you a brand new XTR III 3-18 FFP mil mil which has amazing glass and huge field of view

I've been searching for a similar scope with the additional requirement of not being a boat anchor.

I'm just waiting for Nightforce or Leupold to make a mil/mil versions of their SHV 3-10x42 and VX-5 2-10x42.

Leupold (SFP w/ illum.) and SWFA (FFP w/o illum.) both make a 30mm tube, 3-9x40 that are tempting options.

Does it HAVE to be adjustable power or can you get by with fixed power? Because with your requirements of a 30mm tube and mil/mil, an SWFA Super Sniper fixed 10x fits your criteria perfectly. They also have a 3-15x42 model but with a FFP( which is better to have in my opinion). Check out SWFA SS scopes. They're built like tanks!

For $1500, in the used arena, that puts you up there in quality. Watch the classifieds here.

Used Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50
Used NF NXS 3.5-15×50 https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/wts-lnib-nightforce-nxs-c527.7001993/
Used Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18×44 https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...8x44-non-illum-for-razor-amg-mrad-7c.6996287/
Used Leupold VX5HD 3.5-15×44 https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/wts-leupold-vx5hd-3-15x44-illuminated.7005246/
Used Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18×50 https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...riser-t2-t1-acro-elcan-1-4x-7-62-fde.7004375/

Reactions: Penguins
I use a Vortex Viper GenII 5x25 ffp, but, in moa, for my 600yd. ( 18" target gun in 5.56/.223) shoots. It's plenty for that, so far, and you can get it for under 1k. Use what you save on match quality ammo. Mac(y)

Thanks for all of the replies. What I like about my Steiner I have currently is the size/weight, the day time bright reticle, and 1x Power allowing me to use it as a red dot almost. What I don’t like is the lack of Mil/Mil reticle.

I think I want to stay in the LPVO field. 1-6, 1-8, or maybe 1-10.

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 with offset or piggy back red dot. The NXS might not be the new shiny toy on the market, but they are the right size and weight for an 18" AR. They are easy to use and they always work, can't ask for more than that. I've been underwhelmed by every LPVO I've tried. I always end up wishing I had a lightweight carbine with a red dot or proper mid range scope, but for full disclosure, I haven't tried the 1-10 or new crop of 1-8s.

Reactions: LPD5408(2)
Thanks for all of the replies. What I like about my Steiner I have currently is the size/weight, the day time bright reticle, and 1x Power allowing me to use it as a red dot almost. What I don’t like is the lack of Mil/Mil reticle.

I think I want to stay in the LPVO field. 1-6, 1-8, or maybe 1-10.

Mil/Mil LPVO under $1500? Vortex Razor 1-6x Gen 2-E is at the top of your budget. If you want to save money, get the Mil/Mil 1-6x PST Gen 2 1-6x. Most LPVO optics sadly don't have a Mil/Mil option.

That said, on an 18" AR used consistently to reach out to 600, I'd have to agree with Thorbeast and suggest an SPR optic like the Nightforce 2.5-10x he mentioned or the new Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 Mil/Mil. 2x-3x is still quite usable for CQB if you train with it or you can mount an offset RDS.

With the sales going on you might get close enough to the $1500 if you don’t find a used NXS 2.5-10 x 42. I use one for my 18” 5.56. It’s just perfect.

I would want to go with a FFP just to help with ranging and holdovers at any magnification if you need or like to do that with the shooting you will be doing.