• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a smaller 4x4 truck, need advice

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I'm looking at Ford Rangers or possibly a Toyota SR5. Pretty much a smaller truck in that category. I don't have the largest budget after my DTA purchase last month. Around $3000 but I'd like to spend less of course. I know I will be somewhat limited by this but i do have an aunt that works for a dealership that can get real good deals on trade-ins.

I would also like to have either a topper or a rack on the top so I could haul my large canoe down to the Ozarks. Anyone have experience with these types of trucks? Anything I should look for or avoid? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ummm...to say your options may be somewhat limited when you have a budget of $3000 is a masterpiece of an understatement. For what it's worth, I had a 4x4 Ranger with a 4.0L and I really enjoyed that truck!

Ummm...to say your options may be somewhat limited when you have a budget of $3000 is a masterpiece of an understatement. For what it's worth, I had a 4x4 Ranger with a 4.0L and I really enjoyed that truck!

I have a line on a Toyota SR5 for $2900 and a 99' Chevy long bed 4x4 long bed with only 104,000 miles on it for $3000. Just because a lot of folks think they need to spend $20,000+ on a vehicle doesn't mean there aren't good ones to be had out there for less. I've driven a 03' Pontiac Bonneville for the past 6 years and it's been great. I paid $1600 for it. I prefer to pay in full and not have a car payment. More to spend on ammo. :)

Anyway, I'm just looking for opinions on smaller 4x4 trucks. Specifically the two I mentioned(or ones like them) and what years/models to avoid, etc... Probably shouldn't even have mentioned my budget.

I have had several Toyota 4x4's and loved them. It would have to be an outstanding deal for me to own anything else besides a Toyota for that type of truck.

I'm looking at Ford Rangers or possibly a Toyota SR5. Pretty much a smaller truck in that category. I don't have the largest budget after my DTA purchase last month. Around $3000 but I'd like to spend less of course. I know I will be somewhat limited by this but i do have an aunt that works for a dealership that can get real good deals on trade-ins.

I would also like to have either a topper or a rack on the top so I could haul my large canoe down to the Ozarks. Anyone have experience with these types of trucks? Anything I should look for or avoid? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

My vote is for the Ranger! The 4.0L engine will pull forever.

Have had many 4X4 Rangers, all were good. A 4X4 Nissan is parked out there now. Prefer the Nissan over the Rangers.
Always pay cash, credit folks hate not getting paid by you every month. Paying for anything once a month or more is a piss poor path to retirement. Most folks can't see past their nose and fall for, how much a month or, look what I got!

Im not a "small truck" guy, since I got rid of my 97 Dakota 4x4. But ive always said if I was to own one other than a Dodge, it would a Toyota. That said I currently drive a 93 CTD 4x4 dually, but it also hauls my home around. Jump on the Toy if its a good deal.

Eric

Toyota. Hands down. I don't what your year range is but for $3000 you could buy a badass late 80s (best years IMO) SR5.

I have a very good friend that has had 3 toyota tacomas and he has beat on them as hard as anyone i have seen and they have taken every bit of it and kept on ticking! 2 of them had superchargers on them and they were rockets! Good luck on your venture!

I can tell you to stay away from Dodge Dakotas. I had one (2000 model) and I got rid of it at 50,000 miles. It was a 4.7 v8 4x4 and there were always problems, from leaking seals to suspension and steering failures to brake system issues. And it got really shitty mileage (worse than my full size truck). It was a lot of fun when it ran right but way too expensive to keep running. Brother's Toyotas have always been bulletproof and cheap to run.

I can tell you to stay away from Dodge Dakotas. I had one (2000 model) and I got rid of it at 50,000 miles. It was a 4.7 v8 4x4 and there were always problems, from leaking seals to suspension and steering failures to brake system issues. And it got really shitty mileage (worse than my full size truck). It was a lot of fun when it ran right but way too expensive to keep running. Brother's Toyota's have always been bulletproof and cheap to run.

Lots of good aftermarket support for both those little trucks.

AS to a Dodge Dak 4x4(2004) mine has over 86k and in the last three years(from 72k) it has had front ball joints, brakes(both axles), and radiator replaced with AC compressor replaced. BUT to look at this objectively, it has served upstate NY from '04 - '09 in snow, rain, mud, you name it without any issues. The reason parts are being replaced now is that rust from that salt has done it's damage, not miles. That little 4.7 V8 and 5 Speed still pulls like a scared cat with it's 3.92 rear end, and the engine has no issues

I just rolled over 200k on my Toyota... When it finally goes the way of the dinosaur, I will buy another one. Hands down the best vehicles I have ever owned. Mine is an 04 4runner and today... I have never had anything break. Only money I have put into it is maintenance (oil changes, brakes etc). I can't speak for the ford but I can't imagine it being more reliable than that.

I own an 89 Bronco II same guts as the Ranger and its still going with over 200,000. Also own a Jeep Cherokee with over 180,000 most dependable vehicles I've ever owned.

I am currently driving a Nissian Frontier and am really liking it. She will go through the thickest of snow, that we get here in town, and hasn't let me down yet. Not the biggest truck but still a truck and not to bad on a tank of gas.

I would suggest either toyota, dodge dakota's ford rangers or a chevy S-10 Chevys have a realy good a strong V6 engine in them, but If you look at trucks try to make sure you have a good front end, you can check you tie rods by grabing them and trying to twist them by hand. Also listen for any knock, loud ticks( if you hear a constant faint rattle noise that is just you valve train and is normal) a dry valve train starts to tick. and if you hear a knock its in the lower end of the engine. Im a ford and dodge guy. but toyota and chevys are the better off road vehicle the early dakota and ford ranges have a wimpy front end and from experince they dont last. Toyota engines are good engine but to replace simple things such as a starter can be a pain, but unless you dont work on your own vehicles I would not worry to much about it then. But early 90's pickup will porably be whats in you budget. just down waste you money on something that does not run well. Im not a fan of the 4 cylinders in small trucks they have good power on the flats but climbing hills seems to be a challenge for them. Hope I helped.

My 1995 Dodge dakota with a 3.9L V6 and Auto had 245K miles on her when i got rid of it but I had to keep replacing the ball joints but I also abused the hell outta her.

In reality most vehicles can go far and beyond 200,000 Miles but people a negligent of their vehicles and dont maintain them or take care of issues when they arise. Most front ends would last alot longer if when they take it in for an oil change. They would ask if they can grease their front end and drive line. Would last ALOT Longer and when you have that transmission fluid changed and you have a auto ask to adjust the bands and if you have a manual ask them to adjust your clutch linkage... Just some advice.

As for me Im a diesel and a full size truck kinda guy.

Last edited:
85Yota.jpg

'85 was the best year for the toy pu... live front axle + fuel injection.

The Rangers with the 4.0L were pretty damn strong. IIRC, seems like high teens in the city not sparing the ponies. I wouldn't get one with anything less for the engine, particularly if it's an automatic. I have a '90 Bronco II with the 2.9L and there is no comparison. I would avoid the little Broncos like the plague, and I own one. 2.9 L, off the top of my head, possible bad oil pump, stock rockers don't oil the top end well at all, soft cylinder heads prone to minute cracks that you can generally only find with a pressure test, fuel line nightmare when replacing in tank pump.

Thanks a bunch guys you have been very helpful. I'm gonna try and go look at the Toyota this week. Will let yall know how it goes.

Last edited:
If you go late 80s Toyota with the 22RE be aware that the timing chain guides are prone to break causing the timing chain to wear a hole in the aluminum cover on the front of the block allowing coolant to mix with the oil. I've personally seen three different trucks do this. It's a really easy fix if the coolant laced oil hasn't messed anything up yet. If you go the 22RE route look for a 22 RE turbo, they're pretty badass little motors.

Timing chains are a whole new story, anytime you have a timing chain on a engine you have to change it a 150K or you will regret it ALOT in the wallet in the very new future. The dodge 3.9L have timing gears and never have to worry about them. Dont know what the rangers had for timing.

A little late to the party but I have run 5 Toyotas...4 smaller SR5's and Tacomas. They go anywhere. My Tundra, not so much but its nice too. My uncle has an 85 toyota. The body is shot but it has the original clutch and engine and has over 300k on it. I beat the crap out of one of mine and it still ran. +1 on Toyotas

My 2002 Tacoma had 300,000 miles before it was totaled... Best truck I ever owned. Pulled out jeeps and suv's all the time... I will own another some day.

1985 Short bed Toyota truck here. Several Baja runs, 22R engine (no fuel injection). Fun to drive, easy on the gas, reliable as a hammer. When driving it to the range I realized the rifles were worth more than the truck LOL. What the heck, it WORKS.

I still have my 1998 SR5 Toyota 4x4, it's been a fantastic truck. The truck has been super reliable, and will be for years with regular maintenance.

The toyota is a no brainer.

If you choose the Ranger, which isn't a bad truck in it's own right (but NOT the Toyota's equal), be sure to get the 4.0L engine. The 3.0L and ealier 2.9L are junk. I don't believe they ever made a 4x4 with 2.3L or 2.5L, but if I'm wrong and they did, these are excellent, EXCELLENT engines in terms of durability, though underpowered. If they've got oil in them and you don't overheat them, they won't die. Ever.