• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a smith to install external bolt release on Howa 1500

yosemite_sam

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2023
Tennessee
I am SUPER impressed with my Howa 1500. The fit/finish/reliability is excellent on these things.

The only thing I'd prefer to upgrade in the future is the bolt release. The factory design uses a small screw that can snap off in the heat of the moment and let your bolt fly out at you. No bueno. I've read of several instances of this happening on a hunt/match.

Anyways...LRI does external bolt release installs for $165 on R700 actions. Does anybody know someone who can do so on a Howa 1500?

I'm going to try to call LRI when I get a second at work to hear if its something they would take on. In the mean time looking for folks who may have other suggestions. I considered drilling and tapping the screw hole oversided, but as it is there is not much receiver meat around that screw hole to begin with.

Thanks!
Sam

I have a friend’s Vanguard at the moment and the bolt stop/release screw snapped off. He bought it used and someone put a low grade epoxy in the hole and then installed a new screw. It didn’t workout like Bubba thought it would. I drilled it out because the threads were fukd and installed a helicoil and some blue loctite. We will see if it holds up. It’s a crappy part of the action otherwise I really like a Howa.

I have a friend’s Vanguard at the moment and the bolt stop/release screw snapped off. He bought it used and someone put a low grade epoxy in the hole and then installed a new screw. It didn’t workout like Bubba thought it would. I drilled it out because the threads were fukd and installed a helicoil and some blue loctite. We will see if it holds up. It’s a crappy part of the action otherwise I really like a Howa.

Dang that sucks! I have left VMs and msg's for a few places that do R700 ext bolt releases to see if they'd do a Howa 1500. I'll let you know what they end up sayin. Looks like the service is $125-165 depending on place but it seems well worth it to bomb proof an otherwise awesome action that is super affordable.

Spoke with a gentleman in LRI's bolt department and he said that they currently did not have time to write the computer program for a Howa 1500 that would run their mill. I've called a BUNCH of smiths and none were game to go for it. I know its been done at least once....

Check this out.

Thinking about trying to contact this dude to see if hes game.