• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a source for Sako TRG 22 6.5 Creedmoor Magazines

Mr. Ree

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Just acquired a Sako TRG 22 in 6.5 Creedmoor, and am having difficulty locating a source for extra magazines. Any suggestions will be appreciated, and I thank you in advance for same.

Thanks, but unless I can confirm that a 6.5 CM cartridge works in a .308, .300 Win mag, or .338 Lapua magazine, I guess I am still looking.

If you keep looking you will find one with 65 Creedmoor stamped into it, just have to be vigilant those sneaky little bastards can be right in front of you and wouldn't even know it. ?

Last edited:
pretty much everyone here uses 6.5 creed, 6 creed, 260, 6.5x47, 6x47, 6BR, 6 dasher, 6xc, etc etc in mags labeled 308

i bet the mag you have now is a 308 mag too...

That never occurred to me, though it makes sense. The rifle actually arrives in the next few days, so I've not had an opportunity to check its magazine for markings. To all who took the trouble to respond, I thank you.

Reactions: b6graham
Isn't the Tikka CTR mag body the same as the TRG-22 mag body? In the CTR, the .308 Win mags work with 6.5 CM.

TRG mags work in the Tikka but Tikka mags wont fit a TRG in its OEM stock. You can change to a different stock or relieve the inlet for the plastic tabs on the tikka mags if you really want to.

TRG mags work in the Tikka but Tikka mags wont fit a TRG in its OEM stock. You can change to a different stock or relieve the inlet for the plastic tabs on the tikka mags if you really want to.
Correct. But I was referencing the body, not the base. Since the bodies are the same and the CTR body works with .308 and 6.5CM in the CTR, .308 and 6.5CM should feed fine out of the TRG mag in a TRG.

The bigger mystery is why CTR mags are a third of the price of the TRG22 mags.

The bigger mystery is why CTR mags are a third of the price of the TRG22 mags.

Volume. They fit the Canadian Service rifle contract they won a few years back. IIRC, they had to supply 3 mags with each rifle. That's a lot of mags...and probably why thy wanted to make them slightly different than the TRG mags.

Volume. They fit the Canadian Service rifle contract they won a few years back. IIRC, they had to supply 3 mags with each rifle. That's a lot of mags...and probably why thy wanted to make them slightly different than the TRG mags.
But wouldn't that reduce the cost of the TRG mags too? They probably have a few stamping dies and welding jigs set up to crank these out. If the mags are the same except for the base, the fixed costs of the dies and jigs would be amortized over a greater number of mags, reducing the final cost of both products.

But wouldn't that reduce the cost of the TRG mags too? They probably have a few stamping dies and welding jigs set up to crank these out. If the mags are the same except for the base, the fixed costs of the dies and jigs would be amortized over a greater number of mags, reducing the final cost of both products.

I wish. I love the TRG and have several but the one thing about them all accessories are way overpriced compared to comparable products that are non-Sako. Its almost like the rifles are underpriced for what they are and they make it up with everything else. Its confounding why the mags are $200 for sure. Almost shoking no one has made a good aftermarket mag for them.

Why the cheaper mags for the Tikka? Because Sako/Tikka know they can it’s a lot easier to fuck the guy who paid $3k for the rifle.

What's wierd is the magazine that came with my buddies CTR is identical to my trg mag. Luckily he went to a chassis with AI mags and gave it to me.

You would think, but I'd wager it has to do with military contracts. The TRG is used by many militaries. But the Canada contract is for their Forest Rangers (or whatever they're called) and it's CTR based rifle, and they are manufactured in Canada (rifles and mags, as I understand it). I'd wager that drives them to a lower cost than the traditional TRG mags, still made in Europe. I think from their point of view, the difference in mags also makes it easy to identify where they came from.

Just a guess though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Canada_C19