• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a starting point in today's market with 20" Rem 700 5R (308)

TFin04

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
Livingston County, MI
As the title says, I have a 20" Rem 5R 308. This rifle is about a half minute gun with 175gr FGMM.

I have experience reloading, but not for 308. I have brass and primers already and need to source powder and projectiles. 175 SMK seem easy enough to run across but powder has been an issue. My thought was to try to replicate the FGMM since I know that combo shoots. The web tells me it's 4064 powder in those loads from the factory.

A couple questions, if you don't mind:

- Is 4064 popping up anywhere recently? I have been searching all the normal sources without luck.
- What other powders would you recommend I look for that have some availability right now? I know Varget, 4350 and some others are pretty popular here but I don't know if any of them are especially good (or bad) choices for my goals.

Since I'm ordering online, I want to grab a good quantity and I don't want to be stuck with 8lbs of powder my rifle doesn't like.

Thanks for your time!

As the title says, I have a 20" Rem 5R 308. This rifle is about a half minute gun with 175gr FGMM.

I have experience reloading, but not for 308. I have brass and primers already and need to source powder and projectiles. 175 SMK seem easy enough to run across but powder has been an issue. My thought was to try to replicate the FGMM since I know that combo shoots. The web tells me it's 4064 powder in those loads from the factory.

A couple questions, if you don't mind:

- Is 4064 popping up anywhere recently? I have been searching all the normal sources without luck.
- What other powders would you recommend I look for that have some availability right now? I know Varget, 4350 and some others are pretty popular here but I don't know if any of them are especially good (or bad) choices for my goals.

Since I'm ordering online, I want to grab a good quantity and I don't want to be stuck with 8lbs of powder my rifle doesn't like.

Thanks for your time!

I have the same rifle, it likes:
175 SMK with Varget or a close second CFE but you need to watch temp changes.
168 Nolser or SMK with BLC2 (great accuracy with the 168 if you are within 300 yards or less).
Frankly, I would go in order of Varget then BLC2 then CFE. I have used others, but that is what my pee shooter likes.

What powder pops up around my area might differ from what pops up around you. Given enough time to work up proper loads you should be able to get great loads out of a whole variety of powders. For me I've favored Varget and Re-15. But 4064, 4895 are also excellent choices.

What kind of brass and primers are you using?

I have a good supply of Winchester brass and CCI primers. Primers are available locally (albeit somewhat expensive).

I am looking to purchase powder online and can't find anything there either.

Ordering an 8lb jug of 4064 from Mid South and I snagged 175SMK's from Palmetto. Going to do my best to work up a load that replicates the factory FGMM. Thanks for your help!

I have a good supply of Winchester brass and CCI primers. Primers are available locally (albeit somewhat expensive).

I am looking to purchase powder online and can't find anything there either.

Cool, those are what I use. PM me when you find a powder and I'll send you some loads that might do well in your rifle..