• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a tripod.

xXHoPXx

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Bristol,VA
Hey all! I'm in need of some direction on a tripod. Was looking at the Bog Deathgrip but after reading reviews I'm on the fence about it. I'd like to stay around 150-200 if possible.

At that price point I’d look at Hog Saddle tripods or Silk tripods direct. Also check the PX for used ones.

Reactions: IW21
I’m running a PRST tripod and saddle from Hog Saddle but I don’t think they’re available any more. They have a Slik model available now as mentioned above. But I saw a setup from Predator-Tactics that looked really good for an entry level system. I’m thinking about getting one as a second/backup for my predator hunting.

I had the slick in my cart but that Predator Tactics is almost exactly what I'm looking for! I'll have to do some more research on it. Thanks!

Has anyone else used the Predator Tactics dead eye? Looks exactly like what I’ve been waiting for. Obviously not a RRS setup, but is it good enough for casual hunting and NRL22 style matches?

I have the RT90c and couldn’t find anything I don’t like about it. It’s a little bit more than your budget but it’s worth the price difference.

Reactions: CageFighter
I have the RT90c and couldn’t find anything I don’t like about it. It’s a little bit more than your budget but it’s worth the price difference.

I've had both. Kept the 90C. For me it was worth the extra price and weight. But the 80 is sufficient.

Reactions: Eric_F and wil_pt
I've had both. Kept the 90C. For me it was worth the extra price and weight. But the 80 is sufficient.

I had the 80 for a couple days. Super stiff joints, although it may have worked it self out to be better, I didn't like that there were not more positions (angles) for the legs. Does the 90 have more leg positions?

Reactions: Sendit6.5
I had the 80 for a couple days. Super stiff joints, although it may have worked it self out to be better, I didn't like that there were not more positions (angles) for the legs. Does the 90 have more leg positions?

Don't recall the positions specifically on the 80. Only used it at one match and in the 'normal' leg position.

Don't recall the positions specifically on the 80. Only used it at one match and in the 'normal' leg position.

Gotcha. sometimes I like to spread the angles out and sit under the tripod a little, thats why I was wondering.

Do you know how he attached the RRS clamp to that tripod?
The tripod comes with everything you need - pan, bowl and bowl adapter. Just get a nice clamp with 1/4 or 3/8 thread ( I prefer 3/8 for a more solid connection), screw it in and start shooting.?

Reactions: beretta_man11
I hear alot of people talking about the leofoto 364 and there head is a copy of the rrs setup if you look down the forum you could find more information on it or the rt90c on Amazon

There's several RRS knockoffs. Leofoto seems to be the most heinous in it's copying as it also uses RRS' S.O.A.R logo. The others are very similar but not exact copies. I'm not a patent attorney so I couldn't tell you if they are violating any patent laws. Otherwise it's your wallet vs. your conscience/personal values.

I’ve been using and selling Leofoto for a while, and I just got the RT-90C in. Upon first impression I can’t tell much of a difference between some of Leofoto’s options and the Inorrel. Main differences are smoothness and aesthetics, but they are pretty darn close. The leveling base they sent with it is eh. Can’t complain for the price though

Hopefully I won't be chastised for bringing this thread from the dead.

I am looking at the RT80C which looks to be about ~$170. Is this still the best affordable tripod to get? I see some folks recommending the Leofoto however it seems quite a bit more expensive.

Does anyone have recommendations for the swivel head to attach to the RT80C? I'm looking at the Innorel N44, I'm just not sure if I should get the U44, M44, N44, or B44. I'm mainly basing this off of your TFB review ( https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...ipod-with-really-right-stuff-bh-55-ball-head/ ) and this youtube review ( ).

Finally I'm kind of simple so I'm trying to understand how to attach a rifle clamp to the N44, it looks like the N44 has a flat top with male screw protruding. Do I just look for a clamping section that has a female end that mates to this? I think I saw a Leofoto rifle clamp that matched but I lost it in my Google research.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Your guys experience is invaluable.

Hopefully I won't be chastised for bringing this thread from the dead.

I am looking at the RT80C which looks to be about ~$170. Is this still the best affordable tripod to get? I see some folks recommending the Leofoto however it seems quite a bit more expensive.

Does anyone have recommendations for the swivel head to attach to the RT80C? I'm looking at the Innorel N44, I'm just not sure if I should get the U44, M44, N44, or B44. I'm mainly basing this off of your TFB review ( https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...ipod-with-really-right-stuff-bh-55-ball-head/ ) and this youtube review ( ).

Finally I'm kind of simple so I'm trying to understand how to attach a rifle clamp to the N44, it looks like the N44 has a flat top with male screw protruding. Do I just look for a clamping section that has a female end that mates to this? I think I saw a Leofoto rifle clamp that matched but I lost it in my Google research.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Your guys experience is invaluable.

I bought the RT90C (LT364C), it's a step down from the largest version of the RT90C. That knocks about a pound of weight off it, and lowers the load rating to 77 lbs. There is even one size smaller you can go on the 90 (LT324C) that brings the weight down to 3.85 lbs and the load to 66 lbs. The main reason I went with the 90 over the 80 was the bowl size. It seems like most of the aftermarket whiz bang goodies are made for the 75mm bowl, and the 80 has a 65mm. The only thing I added was an Arca style clamp that mounts directly to the leveling base(bowl). It's a very sturdy setup. If you decide to go with a ballhead, get the largest diameter ball you can. I tried a ballhead(made for a camera, so not overly large) and it just didn't seem as stable. With the leveling base that comes with the tripod, everything locks up solidly and I don't get any of the droop/drift that I got with the ballhead.

I bought the RT90C (LT364C), it's a step down from the largest version of the RT90C. That knocks about a pound of weight off it, and lowers the load rating to 77 lbs. There is even one size smaller you can go on the 90 (LT324C) that brings the weight down to 3.85 lbs and the load to 66 lbs. The main reason I went with the 90 over the 80 was the bowl size. It seems like most of the aftermarket whiz bang goodies are made for the 75mm bowl, and the 80 has a 65mm. The only thing I added was an Arca style clamp that mounts directly to the leveling base(bowl). It's a very sturdy setup. If you decide to go with a ballhead, get the largest diameter ball you can. I tried a ballhead(made for a camera, so not overly large) and it just didn't seem as stable. With the leveling base that comes with the tripod, everything locks up solidly and I don't get any of the droop/drift that I got with the ballhead.
Thank you for the response, yeah after doing more reading I realized there's a big difference between "bowl" setups and "ball head". It sounds like the ball head is actually unnecessary because the legs come with a bowl so you only need to buy the rifle adapter like you said.

Sounds like I can just try the legs and bowl setup and if I end up not liking it I can simply buy a higher quality ballhead or even higher quality bowl, does that sound right?

Thank you for the response, yeah after doing more reading I realized there's a big difference between "bowl" setups and "ball head". It sounds like the ball head is actually unnecessary because the legs come with a bowl so you only need to buy the rifle adapter like you said.

Sounds like I can just try the legs and bowl setup and if I end up not liking it I can simply buy a higher quality ballhead or even higher quality bowl, does that sound right?
Yep. That was my plan. So far I'm not doing any crazy high angle shooting, so I can get by with the leveling base that came with it. Your mileage may vary.