• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a Wool Sweater

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
I am looking for a 100% wool sweater, a so called commando sweater. I had one back in the 70s and 80s, either Norwegian or British issue. Kind of a faded dark OD / brown. It was very thick tight knit wool with leather patches on the shoulders and elbows, lasted for years, performed well in cold and damp. Of course I wore the acrylic sweater on AD for years but not what I want.

Any help?

I found this sweater everywhere but not sure its what I want, looks thin...anyone have one as it may suffice.
http://www.armynavyshop.com/prods/rc6348.html

Re: Looking for a Wool Sweater

Are you talking about the Wooly Pully?

US Cavalry still has them.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=8322&TabID=1

My black Wooly Pully, bought while in school, is 25 years old... and still going strong.

I also have a Sportsmans Sweater from Barbour (England). It's gone 5 years now without a discernable sign of wear. And I wear it all fall, winter and spring. Orvis has them. Great pieces of gear.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks all, I may try one of these sweaters and keep looking. None of the ones I see are as thick, and the one I had had a rolled collar, almost a turtle neck. I want it more out of nostalgia. I am thinking now it may have been British / Scottish issue. I also had wool issue pants from Austria and Norway, one was a very thick heavy wool and the other a mid thick.

I am sure someone makes them just gotta find one.

Not that I need one, 91f yesterday, when does KY reach fall? Snowing back home.

Thanks all

What Size do you wear? I have a few newish green wooly pullys that i may consider selling off!!

You might check this out. They may have what you're looking for.

SG

Fleet farm usually has then for about $15

I think the sweater you are refering to( and this is a clue, they did not have epaulets) was made by Peter Storm an ex Royal Marine the company was started around 1989 till he died around 1980. after about 1975 you had to order the military sweater. Some company picked up the name but they are not the same. I had one for 30 years, crabed out of Hormer AK and Berring Sea, they were incedible, these sweaters have almost a cult following. I have never seen one to compare and would buy it in a minute, every once in a while one will get sold used.

i have several ones that i have had for over 25 years...nice...but they will heat you up on a long walk....normally carry it in when hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the sweater you are refering to( and this is a clue, they did not have epaulets) was made by Peter Storm an ex Royal Marine the company was started around 1989 till he died around 1980. after about 1975 you had to order the military sweater. Some company picked up the name but they are not the same. I had one for 30 years, crabed out of Hormer AK and Berring Sea, they were incedible, these sweaters have almost a cult following. I have never seen one to compare and would buy it in a minute, every once in a while one will get sold used. </div></div>

You are on it, I picked it up at AMH mid - late 70s, wore that thing until it disappeared. I should have mentioned Alaska fisherman used it.

Thanks, will keep an eye now for the name

Glad to be of help, I have been looking for years. Some times Peter Storm sweaters come up under vintage sweaters on ebay, never thought I would even think of buying a used sweater. Odds of finding a military one are slim. Key words oil wool sweater, you would think some one would make the for Norwegin or simular area commercial fishermen. If I find scorce I will drop you a PM.

I know what you want and why, I used Swanndri Original Hooded Bushshirt really great if you were looking for something for cold wet bush living
http://www.ecowool.com/product/1666

Andy and Bax (Andy & Bax) surplus store in Portland, Oregon has LOTS of used, and new WOOL military sweaters, and even lots of heavy weight wool military trousers for really cold winter wear.

You might give them a call and see if they have what you want.

The wool trousers are fabulous prices. Wool that is heavier than Malone pants oftn sell for only $30-40 dollars. But if you call, ask if the trousers have the plastic film in the front of the legs. One type has a plastic water barrier that is noisy...sort of like a plastic sheet. All the others don't have the plastic.

They also have heavy wool trousers with ankle cuffs that secure tightly around your boots, or climbing knickers that secure just below the knee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Andy and Bax (Andy & Bax) surplus store in Portland, Oregon has LOTS of used, and new WOOL military sweaters, and even lots of heavy weight wool military trousers for really cold winter wear.

You might give them a call and see if they have what you want.

The wool trousers are fabulous prices. Wool that is heavier than Malone pants oftn sell for only $30-40 dollars. But if you call, ask if the trousers have the plastic film in the front of the legs. One type has a plastic water barrier that is noisy...sort of like a plastic sheet. All the others don't have the plastic.

They also have heavy wool trousers with ankle cuffs that secure tightly around your boots, or climbing knickers that secure just below the knee. </div></div>

http://www.andyandbax.com/militarysurplu...arget=contFrame

Check the Filson Waterfowl Sweaters. They are densely woven, hard finish wool with tincloth shoulder mantle and sleeve covering. Mine is around 15 years old and is short in the waist and sleeves. Filson now has a "Long" and I would recommend that. Unfortuneately Filson has become wannabe fashion and the prices have gone way up but the quality is there.

Hey bro, is this what youre looking for?
If so it is a Norwegian manufactured NATO-sweater, 100% wool, rib-knit and with reinforced elbows and shoulders, pen-pocket on the left upper sleeve and really tough knit collar and wrists.
This is the traditional design, still going strong and in active service, those who have used it knows what it is good for.
I just noticed they also come with a v-neck and chest pen pocket, never seen that before...must be either a British or remf design...
grin.gif

Edit: This one does not have the rolled collar, I misread that part, but it is closer than the V-neck anyway...

John - out

The Norwegian army has a variety of cold weather gear, and the sweaters are no exception. The are two widely used models, one is the model linked to by John in the previous post. This is commonly referred to as the "NATO" by those who have served in the armed fores here in Norway. The brits use a very similar version. The other model is the thicker of the two, often referred to as the "PUMA" or "KOMA". For really cold weather, this is the one to get.

Natogenser1.jpg

Grenserkrave2.jpg

The KOMA will run you around $30 USD + shipping. I'll be more than happy to help you out if they don't ship internationally.

-R

Damn it all this talk of good wool just wants to make me go out and find something nice in those lines. Bring back the memorys of days past.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got one from cabela's years ago. still like new </div></div>

I've been sporting mine for years! Shooting, archery, fishing, love it and still chuggin along (albeit a bit worn).

Here in lexington we have Stuffs Army Surplus. Its current location is just north of downtown, I think on Louden? I doubt they have the uberwool you are looking for but he usualy does have good stuf in there and the prices are wicked low.

another one to look at is Duluth Trading co.
online store bomb proof stuff.

Not sure if they have what you are looking for, but the first two names that popped into my head are Barbour and Filson. I don't have any of their sweaters, but have several Filson Jackets and one Barbour. I bought the Barbour back in the mid-late '80's and it has been an excellent jacket. I just sent it back to them this summer for reproffing and a few other repairs, it looked good as new when it came back. Almost too good, it doesn't have the character it used to have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rassmussen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Norwegian army has a variety of cold weather gear, and the sweaters are no exception. The are two widely used models, one is the model linked to by John in the previous post. This is commonly referred to as the "NATO" by those who have served in the armed fores here in Norway. The brits use a very similar version.
Natogenser1.jpg

-R </div></div>

The top sweater looks exactly like the issue "wooly pully" we had in the 1980's..Its an ok piece of kit, but nothing special, and be very careful how its washed as it can shrink like buggery!

As to Barbour and other similar brands, they are ok, but several times the price of a surplus wooly pully..they do look a bit smarter, but thats about it; i have a feeling your are paying for the name more than anything.

The warmest sweaters I've come across are hand knitted in Scotland and while expensive, are a marked step up in quality. Another type to look out for are the oiled wool Norweigen fishermens sweaters; again very warm and very good quality, but not particuarly tactical looking..