• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for advice on .300 WM

az _desert

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like it's my 1'st post as I lost my old account when snipershide change the face of the forum and lost all my data... Hopefully adming will help me to recover my old account.... Anyway....

I am looking to buy a new rifle I want .300 WM and I was looking at a Savage 110 BA Stealth $1,299.00 and Christensen BA Tactical Carbon Barrel 1:10 Twist $2,499.00 at Sportsmans Warehouse Pretty big price difference or I should go with AI right handed? I know AI is a lot more pricey .... So depends what deal I will be able to find.

I know there are more options and I would like to know what would you choose and why. Any info will be appreciate it.

I wouldn't like to spend a lot of money ... BUT if i know is worth it I might go for it.

I am looking to put a NF scope on it. (don't know which one yet)

I know this will cost me some $ $ $ .

Last edited:
The new Ruger RPR in 300wm. I'm super impressed by them because it looks like they actually payed attention to what people were wanting and using in the real world. 9 twist 26" barrel, CIP mags, M-lock rail with built in 1.5" dovetail, 30moa base, etc. etc.

https://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/specSheets/18081.html

Street price seems to be high $1400 to low $1800 for the .338lm so I'd assume the .300wm will be close.

Did he go from Savage to Christensen to Accuracy International?
A PROBLEM WITH THAT!? or just another smart comment?! Maybe you shot ur rifle 5k rounds a year. I shot mine probably 500 a year... I really like AI but I don't know if I really want to spend the $10K - $14k including scope. Savage to me it's a good rifle...But not as good as a CA or AI!

The new Ruger RPR in 300wm. I'm super impressed by them because it looks like they actually payed attention to what people were wanting and using in the real world. 9 twist 26" barrel, CIP mags, M-lock rail with built in 1.5" dovetail, 30moa base, etc. etc.

https://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/specSheets/18081.html

Street price seems to be high $1400 to low $1800 for the .338lm so I'd assume the .300wm will be close.
Flat bottom Handguard with a bout in dovetail should be the standard these days. I haven’t held one yet, probably will at SHOt at range day, I’m hoping they fixed the shitty slop in the receiver and the zipper sound when you run the bolt.

A PROBLEM WITH THAT!? or just another smart comment?! Maybe you shot ur rifle 5k rounds a year. I shot mine probably 500 a year... I really like AI but I don't know if I really want to spend the $10K - $14k including scope. Savage to me it's a good rifle...But not as good as a CA or AI!

Nope no problem I just find it interesting that you're pondering a $14,000 rifle system but you're not sure if you want a $1300 Savage instead.

Edit;

What is your current level of investment into 300WM?

What do plan to do with the rifle?

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric_F and Bender
Nope no problem I just find it interesting that you're pondering a $14,000 rifle system but you're not sure if you want a $1300 Savage instead.

Edit;

What is your current level of investment into 300WM?

What do plan to do with the rifle?

Money is not a problem. I really don't use it much.. maybe tops 1000 rounds per year..(maybe)

Mostly Long range hunting and target (no competitions) I would like to get the AI which I know what kind of rifle it is But I don't think I really need it for what I am going to use it. CA.. I don't know anything about the Carbon barrell and that's why I was asking. Savages I know they are accurate guns but I stil have to change the chassis .... (at the end of the day no matter how I will look just alone I will have in a savage without scope maybe $2500 or more if I replace the chassis...

The Ruger Precision Rifle in 300 Win is just now making it into the hands of shooters across the country, so real world data is still limited. However, if I was buying today, that's what I'd get, and I'm a Savage fan in most instances. The RPR in 300 Win is going for $1500 in my area.

Built mine on a Rem 700 platform with AI stock, shoots <.5 MOA, weighs in at 13.5 lbs, it's my favorite gun. I did a lot of the work myself with the help of a friend who is a wanna-be gunsmith and has all the tools to ream the chamber and true the bolt face. I was able to do it for under $2500, and if you know your chassis systems you'll know that the AI chassis contributed to a good chunk of that but it was well worth the money.

Attachments

• 20160419_163006.jpg
    20160419_163006.jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 58
Money is not a problem. I really don't use it much.. maybe tops 1000 rounds per year..(maybe)

Mostly Long range hunting and target (no competitions) I would like to get the AI which I know what kind of rifle it is But I don't think I really need it for what I am going to use it. CA.. I don't know anything about the Carbon barrell and that's why I was asking. Savages I know they are accurate guns but I stil have to change the chassis .... (at the end of the day no matter how I will look just alone I will have in a savage without scope maybe $2500 or more if I replace the chassis...

So we've crossed AI off the list but we're still considering the Savage. Well it sure is nice to narrow things down a bit.

Reactions: b6graham

What kind of hunting? The weight difference between the two rifles should be a consideration if you're doing something like back country hunting.

Hypothetically if you were going to purchase the Savage just to change out the chassis, why not just start with a custom action?

Hypothetically if you were going to purchase the Savage just to change out the chassis, why not just start with a custom action?

After looking at all the options, this is the route I took. Get one a R700 patterned long action then use a Remage or Savage prefit barrel. Put that in your chassis of preference.

...Hypothetically if you were going to purchase the Savage just to change out the chassis, why not just start with a custom action?
I have several Savages and they are consistently accurate rifles and chassis options are improving but still limited.

I have several Savages and they are consistently accurate rifles and chassis options are improving but still limited.

I don't doubt that Savage produces good factory rifles, but the OP has it set in his head that the chassis must be changed. At that point it really is more cost effective to start either with a custom R700 pattern long action or a factory Savage action rather than a pricier factory rifle. Results in a much better end product without spare parts laying around that no one wants to buy.

Heck OP can even start with a cheaper model Savage factory rifle and just replace parts. $450 for a factory Savage 300wm rifle, replace barrel (another $400ish), replace those flimsy stocks with a chassis ($1k ish), upgrade trigger ($120). Comes out to low $2k (or less)which is cheaper, better end product than starting off with the 110 BA Stealth. Sell the take-off barrel for $80-100, toss the accustock.

Ok I am going to chime in,
I got a HOWA 300 wm barrel action that I am working on . So the Ruger is a 1/9. my question is which is better 1/9 or the 1/10 26" barrel
thanks

I got a HOWA 300 wm barrel action that I am working on . So the Ruger is a 1/9. my question is which is better 1/9 or the 1/10 26" barrel
thanks
45 or 9mm? It doesn’t matter really. You just have to find which one shoots better with the bullet you choose. IMHO, always go faster twist.

was the OP 12 years old when he had his old account? cause he seems about 16 years old in this thread. savage to christensen to AI, back to a $2500 savage before changing chassis lol

Reactions: Bender
thanks

1/10 has been the longtime standard and works fine for most uses. Ruger went with the 1/9 twist because of very heavy VLDs that long range shooters are wanting to use and are hard to stabilize in a 1/10. Savage also went with a slightly faster twist rate in their 300WM Stealth Evolution for the same reason. If you're not going to try shooting VLDs above 210gr the fast twist isn't needed.

I don't doubt that Savage produces good factory rifles, but the OP has it set in his head that the chassis must be changed. At that point it really is more cost effective to start either with a custom R700 pattern long action or a factory Savage action rather than a pricier factory rifle. Results in a much better end product without spare parts laying around that no one wants to buy.

Heck OP can even start with a cheaper model Savage factory rifle and just replace parts. $450 for a factory Savage 300wm rifle, replace barrel (another $400ish), replace those flimsy stocks with a chassis ($1k ish), upgrade trigger ($120). Comes out to low $2k (or less)which is cheaper, better end product than starting off with the 110 BA Stealth. Sell the take-off barrel for $80-100, toss the accustock.
That was my point

Reactions: Evintos

I find a rifle builder and build something like this right here but I'd use a Nucleus action and think long and hard about going with 300PRC instead of 300WM if you're not already too heavily invested in 300WM. But IDK what kind of hunting, terrain and distances on foot the OP is needing the rifle for it must not be pertinent info since the OP didn't mention it.

Last edited:
1/10 has been the longtime standard and works fine for most uses. Ruger went with the 1/9 twist because of very heavy VLDs that long range shooters are wanting to use and are hard to stabilize in a 1/10. Savage also went with a slightly faster twist rate in their 300WM Stealth Evolution for the same reason. If you're not going to try shooting VLDs above 210gr the fast twist isn't needed.
I am planning on staying in 190 to 208 ELDs just want to get to a mile .

The RPRs in 6.5 are the only ones I have experience with and they are a decent rifle that works. Not smooth. Not polished but they work. It would most likely me a good option.

Savages generally shoot, though I'm not at all impressed with the accutriggers or the stocks.

For $2500 you can have a builder make you a nice, semi-custom. This is how I went. If you're not interested in clone building, you should be able to have a very nice, very accurate rifle for $2500 or less with a high end barrel, scope base of choice to match the scope you want, a high end stock that is bedded to the action and a quality trigger.

Last edited:
I found a great deal on an almost new Surgeon Scalpel when I was in the 300WM market. It's been a great platform and the 300 WM is a great cartridge. That said, when this barrel is done you'll see it with a 1 in 9T 300PRC most likely. I'm a sucker for the new stuff, especially without the belted case.
If choosing off the shelf I would definitely have to paw one of the new RPR 300WM before I laid down money anywhere.

I've been looking at the new Ruger 300 WM, non-RPR. It's priced at $900 ish or so. Hawkeye Target or something. Its not a hunting rifle. I have a Barrett Mrad, a couple of savages and a Tikka CTR 6.5. I could buy a barrel for the mrad in 300 PRC or WM? Sometimes it nice to take out a couple of rifles when your shooting so you don't have to wait for one to cool down. Just keep blasting away! I'm not the biggest fan of the belted case or Hornady brass, so 300 Norma (Lapua brass)is still in the back of my mind for a caliber conversion for the Mrad. I don't love re-zeroing my optic every time i change caliber conversions. I'm not really making a point here, but it sure is nice to be spoiled buy all the choices we have today! I don't think you can make a bad choice unless you go with a stock Remmingtion. Not many people here are fans of CA carbon barrels?

So as "The German" would say "Buy a Barrett MRAD and join the Masterace!"

Last edited:

I find a rifle builder and build something like this right here but I'd use a Nucleus action and think long and hard about going with 300PRC instead of 300WM if you're not already too heavily invested in 300WM. But IDK what kind of hunting, terrain and distances on foot the OP is needing the rifle for it must not be pertinent info since the OP didn't mention it.

THANK YOU! Mostly is open terrain (Arizona) distances minimum 500 yards and up. I will be contacting DMR tomorrow. Checked out their web site and I like the work they do. Thank you for you comment and your help! Appreciate it!

Best group my instructor could get out of his HMR was .8" after sending it back because it wouldn't group below 1". He sold it. Hell... to work through your options, you can put some 300wm rounds through my AXMC and my R700 5r in a Cadex chassis in Peoria. After an afternoon with the AI, the R700 Cadex is for sale.

So as "The German" would say "Buy a Barrett MRAD and join the Masterace!"[/QUOTE]
: that Good :

If you don't have anything in a .300 Win Mag already, have you considered going with the new .300 PRC?

Reactions: shoot4fun