• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking for advice on first custom

jsimonh

Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Altus, Oklahoma
Fixing to order an action and I'm torn between a few choices. I currently shoot a 284 win with 180 Hybrids and really enjoy the ballistics, but I'm debating to stick with the 284 or move down to a 6.5x47L or Creedmoor. The thought of not running a brake seems nice, but I'm not 100% sure I wouldn't end up braking either of the 6.5's. My shooting is mostly steel at distances up to 1200yds with the hope of getting into tactical and positional shooting in the future. The 3 mentioned are the only ones I'm really interested in, and would like the input of you guys.

I'd pick one of the 6.5's if you're going to get into the tac game. There are a lot of good OK guys who have ranges and run matches, I would suggest looking one of them up.

I love my 284, but think one of the ~45gr powder 6's or 6.5's is a better choice for real tacmatch use:

Less recoil
Prolific brass
Equal (or better) ballistics at "average" tacmatch yardages... Why use a rifle ideal for the 1000+ yard shots for a match whose average target is ~600 yards away?

While I run my 284 on a magfed (Alpha type 3s) short action, most people do 284s on a long action, which decreases magazine capacity - not good for tacmatches.

The 284 takes over for the 6s and 6.5s at about 1000 yards, but inside 1000, the 6.5s give just about nothing to the 284 (particularly with the 175-180gr bullets) and the 6s match it in wind and are about a whole mrad flatter.

WW hasn't made 284 brass in a couple years now, and they aren't even planning to make it again for at least a year. Do you want to be shucking Lapua brass out at a tacmatch? Do you want to be shucking out irreplaceable WW Super brass at tacmatches?

The decreased recoil of the 6s and 6.5s makes barricade/positional shooting easier than the 284.

I think an XC, Creed, Competition Match, x47L or Super LR in 6 or 6.5 is the way to go.

Being "Mr. 7mm", I hate to admit this, but for gaming the tacmatches, the 6 is the hot ticket.

Last edited:
Keep your .284 and build a second rifle in one of the 6.5 rounds, I would say go 6.5-284, are u using. laupa 6.5-284 necked up to 284 or plain 284 win brass in your current 7mm?

Well, I found an 8 twist Bartlein 6.5mm varmint contour barrel and snatched it up. Looks like it'll be a 6.5 something. I lean towards the creedmoor, and then find myself finding excuses to go with the 47L. Decisions Decisions....