• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Looking for Advice -Reap-IR 35mm or 60mm Pro's and Con's

butlerotis

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2017
Money is really not the issue just making sure I am getting the best bang for my buck. What do you guys that have used both think about the 35mm vs the 60mm?

Thanks!

Field of View versus Magnification.
The 35mm has 12 degrees FOV and 2.5x magnification
The 60mm has 7 degrees FOV and 4.5x magnification

Other than that they are the same (well the 60mm weighs a tad more_

So, depends on the terrain you will be in. If mostly close terrain most detections inside 200yds ... most shots inside 100yds ... then the 35mm with more FOV is indicated. If lots of open terrtain, detections are out to a mile or more and shots out to 300yds then the 60mm is indicated.

Reactions: butlerotis
Hum ...

Inside 50yds ... with the 60mm things get a little fuzzier ... these are fix focused units and while the implementation is GREAT for farther out ... for close in with the 60mm you will notice the biggesrt difference. Rats and Mice will be blobs with the 60mm. There is a digital focus, and it helps a little.

In some poor thermal conditions, all thermals degrade ... those with the larger lens degrade slightly slow than those with the smaller lenses. But TBH, I've had both the 35mm and the 60mm and I can't tell the difference in poor thermal conditions, so that is the theory and perhaps rarely the case. But I've been taking these suquers out nightly for years and I can't recall a case whether the larger lens beat the smaller lens if all other things were remotely equal.

Reactions: butlerotis
We live in Amarillo so we have alot of open area. Is the detection range really that drastic drop from the 60mm to the 35? If the 35 could detect out to 600 or 700 I might lean more towards it over the 60mm

I’ll echo wig as I have used both quite a bit. You really need a good reason to get the 60mm for longer range. With the 35mm, you can still zoom and shoot so it’s not to say you are stuck with 2.5x to shoot. The only thing the 60mm does better is provide better clarity at range. However, the FOV is pretty tight under 200 yards. For whatever reason the same FOV at night seems much smaller than day time.

The 35mm will easily detect at 600 yards. It won’t be quite as good at ID but should work fine once you get used to it.

It isn't so much the detection range ... it is the PID range.

Detect - some critter is there ... it might be a deer or a yote or a hog ... (if it was a cow, there are probably a bunch of them in distributions that make it obvious) (it is was a field of multiple sounders again the number and distribution would tell us) ( but a few deer or a few yotes or a bore mixed in ... not always easy to tell ... like in higher winds ... I recall a night I was out in Wichita Falls, one guy had a Helion the other guy had a patrol ... and it was high winds ... and they kept calling out "put the 60 on it" ... (I had a 60mm trijicon on my carbine) ... and I could always tell ... given enough look time.

And we didn't want to jump out of the vehicle and start stalking in unless it was yotes or hogs ... so for PID the 60mm can make a HUGE difference.

The 60mm can detect out to 5,000yds on a clear night ... cattle ...
The 35mm at least 2,000 ... that's as far as I recall trying ... again ... cattle ...

For open fields, I would definitely get the 60mm

:)

Reactions: BurtG
I’ll echo wig as I have used both quite a bit. You really need a good reason to get the 60mm for longer range. With the 35mm, you can still zoom and shoot so it’s not to say you are stuck with 2.5x to shoot. The only thing the 60mm does better is provide better clarity at range. However, the FOV is pretty tight under 200 yards. For whatever reason the same FOV at night seems much smaller than day time.
Seems like y'all both prefer the 35mm
It isn't so much the detection range ... it is the PID range.

Detect - some critter is there ... it might be a deer or a yote or a hog ... (if it was a cow, there are probably a bunch of them in distributions that make it obvious) (it is was a field of multiple sounders again the number and distribution would tell us) ( but a few deer or a few yotes or a bore mixed in ... not always easy to tell ... like in higher winds ... I recall a night I was out in Wichita Falls, one guy had a Helion the other guy had a patrol ... and it was high winds ... and they kept calling out "put the 60 on it" ... (I had a 60mm trijicon on my carbine) ... and I could always tell ... given enough look time.

And we didn't want to jump out of the vehicle and start stalking in unless it was yotes or hogs ... so for PID the 60mm can make a HUGE difference.

The 60mm can detect out to 5,000yds on a clear night ... cattle ...
The 35mm at least 2,000 ... that's as far as I recall trying ... again ... cattle ...
I really appreciate all the help man this is such a hard call. On the 35mm what do you think the furthest you could distinguish a coyote, a hog, and a deer would be ?

For open fields, I would definitely get the 60mm

:)
Ok I think that was the way I was leaning I got one price down to 7600 for the 60mm and was about to pull the trigger but wanted to be sure. Most of our shots are over 100 yard the coyotes here are skittish.

... n the 35mm what do you think the furthest you could distinguish a coyote, a hog, and a deer would be ? [/quote[

Well ... if I watch it moving ... I can probably tell a mile away ... but not on all nights ... and not in all cases ... one of the guys I was with in WF goes out

every night and he could tell deer from yotes in that wind ... at 600yds ... with the Helion ... and the helion has a darn good image ...

So the 60mm improves the odds ... nothing is absolute ... but for distance PID the 60mm is the king of thermal scopes in a broad range of conditions.

Now if the HALO-LR 50mm a little better ?? We've heard one report that says maybe. We need to hear more. With the same display and the same core and the same rear lens ... what's left is the front lens .. the housing and the UI (and the housing and UI don't affect the image). The front lens could though. If you are in a hurry I'd get the trijicon 60mm ... as we KNOW those work and hold up under poor conditions (I've used mine down to -20F and in rain and ice and snow) ... but if you can wait six months ... we should have enough data by then to know. Data from multiple people who are not dealers or pro-staff ... regular people. :)

==
Oh and we had a night this week where thermal could've see sh^t beyond 100yds ... heavy mist .. both thermal and NV get shut down by heavy mist. So there are no absolutes ...

... Most of our shots are over 100 yard ...

There is less difference between the 35mm and the 60mm for shooting. Both are 300yd capable. I've gotten at yote at 300yds with the 35mm ... They have the same reticles ... so shooting them is not much different.

The only difference is that with more magnification and a yote being still for you, you can optimize your shot placement. I neck shot a yote (on purpose) at 205yds (it was laying down (defense - so it couldn't be seen) and I knew the range ... my buddy had just ranged it ... and I knew my hold was 6 inches up. So I was on 2x with the 60mm (9x actual) and aimed just about the center of the neck and got DRT ... and the hole was 2 inch towards the skull from the center of the neck. So the 60mm helps with shot placement. But could I have hit it with the 35mm ? Sure. The yote I got at 300yds was another neck shot ... There I'm up 20 inches with the carbine and the yote was broadside and not moving so I help above the neck just above the top of the head ... and the hit was low center of neck. I was on 2x so 5x actual.

That's about the difference in terms of shooting.

the versatility of the 35mm outwieghs the 60mm in my experience. the wider fov is much nicer to have. detection on yotes beyond 1000yd is pretty easy. experience on mannerisms hunting various game gets you pid to 500yd pretty easy on good thermal nights with the 35mm.

i bought mine to do double duty as a hand scanner and a weapon sight for varmints around my property and i have to say its filled that bill perfectly.

if you want a reap as a dedicated weapon sight a 60mm may be a good choice but i would still have to say i feel the 35mm is just more versatile.

the versatility of the 35mm outwieghs the 60mm in my experience. the wider fov is much nicer to have. detection on yotes beyond 1000yd is pretty easy. experience on mannerisms hunting various game gets you pid to 500yd pretty easy on good thermal nights with the 35mm.

i bought mine to do double duty as a hand scanner and a weapon sight for varmints around my property and i have to say its filled that bill perfectly.

if you want a reap as a dedicated weapon sight a 60mm may be a good choice but i would still have to say i feel the 35mm is just more versatile.
Thank you for pitching in I think I am really leaning towards the 35mm now.