• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Looking for advice.. Remington 700 5R 308

sc951

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2012
GA
Ok here we go. I have a Rem. 700 5R 308 and I have replaced the stock (wanted a vertical grip) purchased a Timney 517 trigger set at 1.5lbs, bedded the action, free floated the barrel, had the barreled action cryo treated, checked the head space,, installed a badger ord. oversized bolt knob,, lapped the lugs,,,, I will be lapping the crown this week,, and I'm anal retentive when it comes to my reloads. Is there anything that I have forgotten that any of you can recommend. Please don't suggest buying a rifle from some boutique shop. I enjoy working on my rifle.

Shoot it!

Also, on the crown, I wouldn't do anything unless you are experiencing bad accuracy due to damage. I don't think that you will get a lot of accuracy out of working on the crown, especially if you use a method that doesn't involve a pilot of some kind.

You could also hand lap the barrel to remove any constrictions.

Edit: Did you check your headspace after lapping the bolt lugs?

Wes

yeah I did check the head space after lapping the lugs, I have been shooting it and keeping data. It was holding 1 MOA and an occasional .75 MOA. I'm chasing the rifleman's unicorn, the consistent 1 hole group, but 1/2 MOA will be welcomed.

One bit of advice, don't fix what is not broken. Too many changes too quickly and you wont be able to troubleshoot the cause of the problem if/when they arise. As mentioned above, don't mess with the crown unless there is some solid and repeatable evidence that it is causing an accuracy problem.

By your post count I'll assume (and I could be wrong and apologies if I am) that your a newer shooter. Practice the fundamentals and your rifle will reach a solid 3/4 MOA. My 5r shoots a solid 3/4 MOA when I do what I am supposed to do.