• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for an above entry level wind meter

Re: Looking for an above entry level wind meter

Kestrel is a great product overall, but it does have limitations. I have found the wind readings from a meter to be marginally useful. For me, it's been a training tool to learn how observed conditions match to measured wind speed.

I have never found it useful when actually firing for a number of reasons.

First is that it only measures wind at your current location. The really interesting wind is downrange. Hills and other non-flat terrain will cause wind to vary significantly from what you measure at the shooters position. I've found that watching mirage, vegetation and flags are better indicators but obviously harder to learn.

Second, I find it terribly annoying that the wind meter display is facing the same direction at the "wind tunnel" (for lack of a better term). If I am measuring crosswind it means that I can't easily read the display unless I get out of position, take a reading, and get back into position.

Third, it doesn't stand up by itself. Ideally, I would like a wind meter I can put on the ground or elevated slightly in front of my shooting position with a reasonably large readout that can be rotated to face me so that I can just glance at it and get a reading. If it just had a standard thread to allow a small camera tripod to be screwed in, it would help.

All this negativity aside, the atmospheric and altitude readings are great for plugging into a ballistics calculator (I use a 5.11 Horus watch in the field). It's also extremely well engineered. The first set of batteries lasted about 3 years and it is well sealed. It won't fail on you when you need it.

If you're in the market for a lightly used Kestrel 4000 NV send me a PM.

--Rootshot

Get a 4000, the ability to use DA is a life changer

The 4500nv is nice. You can get a mini tripod for $30

I'm currently borrowing a Kestrel 4000 to see what they are all about. I want one as a 'barometer' for learning wind speed, what a given wind speed looks and feels like, etc. I'm also interested in the density altitude feature and this is where I'm having problems.

It appears that you have to constantly recalibrate the altitude. I set it one day at my known elevation and the next day it is off by 200 feet (maybe that is no big deal?) due to change in pressure. This throws off the DA reading. I have the DA chart like that on the FDAC, and the Kestrel DA is sometimes nowhere near what the chart says - which is more accurate? Which should I use? Presumably, I have the Kestrel because I might not always know my altitude (elevation) - what if I'm wandering unknown mountains for a week without a topo map? (not that I've got that in my plans). Maybe I'm missing something about how to use the Kestrel, or set it up. Their down-loadable manual is pretty short on calibration info. I tried to cal it based on current local pressure readings but that messed up the altitude by almost 1000 feet! I'm kind of disappointed with it so far... anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: I found the problem. Me (sort of). I was entering bad elevation data that I got from the errornet. Now that I have entered correct elevation data and set the pressure to local pressure, the unit is reading properly in both screens.

emfour

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rootshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

First is that it only measures wind at your current location. The really interesting wind is downrange. --Rootshot </div></div>

Yes and No!

Yes it measures wind at your current location. HOWEVER some believe that downrange wind is most important to a shooter and this is in fact incorrect. It is the near wind that has the greatest effect on the bullet downrange.

A small deflection at close range is magnified as it travels down range... and in line with that, an error in estimation and therefore an error is scope adjustment will also cause a greater error downrange.

If you are dealing with multiple winds as is most often the case, you take the near wind first, use that and then apply the downrange wind as a modification to your initial adjustment.

A kestrel is a valuable tool to have handy with you both for accurate near wind readings and also training yourself by guessing wind values at your location and then verifying the true value with the kestrel.

The topic of wind reading and knowing how to apply changes to suit conditions, is a very large topic that comes with time and experience... having the right tools handy and the right information puts you onto the right path
smile.gif

Vin

Just watch for a good sale on the 4500NV I got mine about a year ago for 250. on Amazon. I know several people on here have got em cheaper than I did.

Kestrel is as close to a perfect solution as I've seen. One of course must realize the limitations of a wind meter (<span style="text-decoration: underline">any</span> wind meter). As other more experienced people commented in other threads (unfortunately none here except for vman - no offense to prior posters
smile.gif
), there's a lot more to predicting the point of impact than measuring the wind at any particular location (near wind, downrange, in the middle, whatever).

One can get accessories for Kestrel allowing to attach it to a tripod, to weathervane, etc. You can get a Bluetooth-capable Kestrel so you won't have to get up and look at its screen...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just watch for a good sale on the 4500NV I got mine about a year ago for 250. on Amazon. I know several people on here have got em cheaper than I did. </div></div>

WOW! That is a phenominal price since that is <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">BELOW</span></span> dealer cost (2010 pricing) for a new unit even before shipping. Don't imagine that Amazon seller can do that for long & continue to stay in business.

That unit could have been a refurb, return, or "scratch & dent" item. I wouldn't expect to find that kind of pricing for a legit Kestrel 4500NV any more...

Congrats on your score.

I'll probably be offloading my 4500NV for cheap once the Horus version comes out, if the reviews say it works smoothly. Otherwise, I really like the package that it offers, quick and easy operation with accurate measurements, for what it is designed to do. Invaluable in not just shooting that day, but just learning overall what wind calls you can make and getting much better at making those calls when you can see the actual on the screen.

Steve, any inside news on a release date for the new kestrel horus product?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rootshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

First is that it only measures wind at your current location. The really interesting wind is downrange. --Rootshot </div></div>

Yes and No!

Yes it measures wind at your current location. HOWEVER some believe that downrange wind is most important to a shooter and this is in fact incorrect. It is the near wind that has the greatest effect on the bullet downrange.

A small deflection at close range is magnified as it travels down range... and in line with that, an error in estimation and therefore an error is scope adjustment will also cause a greater error downrange.

If you are dealing with multiple winds as is most often the case, you take the near wind first, use that and then apply the downrange wind as a modification to your initial adjustment.

A kestrel is a valuable tool to have handy with you both for accurate near wind readings and also training yourself by guessing wind values at your location and then verifying the true value with the kestrel.

The topic of wind reading and knowing how to apply changes to suit conditions, is a very large topic that comes with time and experience... having the right tools handy and the right information puts you onto the right path
smile.gif

Vin </div></div>

Interesting Theory, but Incorrect....

YES, if the projectile Maintained the same Velocity from Muzzle to impact you would be Almost correct. But, they do not. The wind down range has at Least the same effect as the wind up close, for it puts it's forces on a bullet traveling Slower, with a lower BC and is in the wind Longer due to the slower speed.

Average'em together and rock on

Deflection is angular in its effect. The earlier in the bullets flight its deflected, the greater the displacement downrange. This is why near winds cause the greatest deflection.

As the bullet travels and velocity slows, yes the bullet is given more time to have wind influence its flight path BUT it is now very close to the target and the opportunity for deflection downrange is decreasing.

The usual rule is that near flags are determinants and far flags are modifyers.

Im not saying to ignore downrange wind. Im saying to use near wind as your basis for the most important wind.

First 300 yards of travel... wind is relative to one unit per 100 yards
From 300 to 600 yards of travel wind is relative to two units of deflection per 100 yards.
From 700-1000 yards of travel its around three units of deflection per 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John lima_mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.triadtactical.com/Kestrel-Meters/

We have added the BlueTooth versions to the Triad inventory.</div></div>

...and now we`re waiting for the little brown truck
grin.gif
</div></div>

images.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John lima_mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.triadtactical.com/Kestrel-Meters/

We have added the BlueTooth versions to the Triad inventory.</div></div>

...and now we`re waiting for the little brown truck
grin.gif
</div></div>

images.jpg
</div></div>

Steve, you ROCK!!
grin.gif

All GTG, thanks!

John - out