• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking For an All Purpose Flash Light...

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I am looking for an all purpose flash light. The one we are currently using went to Iraq with me from 03-05. That's how far out of the game I am(it's a Stream Light Strion LED). We use it in the mornings to check on the dogs, I use it when camping, etc... Looking for more of a long battery, rechargeable flash light. Lums are not that important to me for this multi purpose flash light. Today's flash lights are plenty bright. What would you recommend for the above criteria? BTW, this Stream Light TOOK A BEATING in Iraq. And yet to this day, she still takes a charge and is bright as day. Only issue is that the battery wears out to quick for us. So time to buy an new one...

Reactions: kbiss
Five great American brands: Surefire, Streamlight, Malkoff Devices, Elzetta, Modlite.

Please don't buy any of the oem C**** products- PM for which brands they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLinNH
Four great American brands: Surefire, Streamlight, Malkoff Devices, Elzetta.

Please don't buy any of the oem C**** products- PM for which brands they are.
I'm a Streamlight/Surefire guy. Looking for long battery life out of my next flash light purchase.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Another thought- you may be able to have the battery replaced by a tech at Batteries & Bulbs Plus, or Streamlight themselves.
That's a great thought, and I'm going to look into it for my original Stream Light. But I would like to purchase a flash light this evening as I am going away on a camping/fishing trip next weekend. This way my wife has one to use while I'm away.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I mostly use Surfire weapon and flash lights but i bought a Kobalt around 8 years ago that has been excellent and tough as hell.

Well, Delete this thread. I just ordered this. I like how it can also use normal AA Batteries...
666813.jpg

that flashlight is awesome and bright it is truly blinding!!! I got one for my daughter for Christmas she lives in the boonies. get the cradle charger it's worth the coin.

I'd be a lot more in favor of Streamlight and Surefire if they woke up and realized how far behind the competition they are. Like Trijicon with their RMR, they've been sitting on their product line like it's still 2005. I have a decent selection of Streamlights still because they used to be my go-to, most recent was a Pro Tac I carried for a while, but it sat on the shelf once I realized I could get triple the brightness and twice the runtime from something else the same size.

That's how far out of the game I am(it's a Stream Light Strion LED).
That's not out of the game...THIS is out of the game. I inspected Naval aviation units that still used these on survival vests as late as 2004.

giflashlight.jpg

Good call on the new Streamlight and replacing the battery in the old one. I keep either a Streamlight or Surefire by the bed, every door leading outside and in every vehicle. That's the price for living in the country...skunks, porcupines, and bears oh my!

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR308 and RLinNH
I love the Surefire G2x for on the go or just using around the house. The dual brightness is a great feature.

You should look into Pelican or Underwater Kinetics lights; they have models which are dive-rated (for real). I've had more exposure to Pelican.

You should look into Pelican or Underwater Kinetics lights; they have models which are dive-rated (for real). I've had more exposure to Pelican.
Ive had two different plican light fail, possibly from to much abuse.
Never had a surefire go down, maybe i am just unlucky with the pelican lights but had to use them for environments that had the possibility for combustable gases.

Take a look at these for daily carry. They are rechargeable with any android style cord and take a beating. They have two modes. The black version is low/high, the FDE version is high/low. I have both and use them everyday for work and home.
The high setting is plenty bright to illuminate my backyard or front drive if need be and the low doesn't blind you for working on vehicles or close in work.

The fact that they are sub $40 makes them perfect for me as kids love flashlights and they tend to disappear quite often. Bonus the clip can go on the bill of your hat for hands free use.
16850360251533451619503405780404.jpg
16850360470825965906560235889022.jpg
16850360768425978820304515958724.jpg

Surefire Aviator is my EDC. I have never had a Surefire fail me. I currently have about a dozen various Surefire flashlights and weapon lights. I also have several Streamlights including the Microstream and Microstream USB.

In my experience, Surefire and Streamlight are my preferred flashlights.

I also have a couple Olight which are good but not my favorite.

T

I have a couple of small/pocket Fenix flashlights that I keep in one of my vehicles or use around the house/travel with. They are pretty decent for the price - not too expensive that it will keep you up at night if you lose or damage them. Rechargeable batteries, various illumination power settings. Handy to have as a quality "throwaway" flashlight.

However, I think they are made in China. I wouldn't pick Fenix if you are looking for a high quality ultra durable flashlight. While I haven't had any issues with mine (while they get used a lot, they don't see any real hard work), an American made flashlight as suggested will be higher quality (and $$$). And if you value quality 'heirloom' craftsmanship, Fenix is not where to go, there's better options for that.

I have a Lenslight TAD edition flashlight from years ago that's a work of art compared to my Fenix flashlights. Very high quality machining and engraving, it's very pleasant to hold in my hand. The specs are not great when compared to today's flashlights, but I use it as an example of quality craftsmanship from an American manufacturer. Sadly I don't think they are in business anymore, but there's a few other American flashlight manufacturers that are known for making high quality products, as mentioned here. I don't personally have any of their products (besides a SureFire X300 weaponlight), but they certainly look really nice.

While I think flashlights are a necessary tool to have, I don't geek out on them. The true flashlight geeks hang out on candlepowerforums, there's a lot of information there as well.

Lots of Surefire and STreamlights, hand held and weapons mounted. The Streamlight MicroStream 250 lumens, small size and rechargable is the be$t value; $40. With a Rogers mount it can be used on picatinny rails and in one simple rotation be handheld only. Have them mounted on Magna-Visors for bench work. I must have 10 of these around.

Just a few of the Surefires; like the dual-fuels with their rechargeable option. 1500 Lumens!
IMG_9777 copy 2.JPG
IMG_9795a copy 2.jpg
IMG_0007 copy.JPG
IMG_0008 copy.JPG
IMG_2188 copy.JPG
CIMG0975b copy.jpg
CIMG1432a copy.jpg
CIMG2619 copy.JPG
DSCN0048a copy.jpg