• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Looking for an AR15 scope.

Sebastian777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2013
KY
I'm waiting on parts to arrive for my AR15 build and am currently shopping around for scopes. I plan on putting my Burris FastFire III on a 45* mount, but am looking at options for a scope. This will be primarily a battle rifle, but maybe even (non-competitively) for 3 gun. Battle rifle being the top priority. I'm thinking a fixed 6x scope would be the ticket, but I'm not sure at this point. So, I'm looking for ideas and input.

Thanks in advance.

How about a 1-6 for more versatility? Look at the Vortex Razor II 1-6x24. Comes in 3 different reticles now. A mil based, MOA based and the original JM-1 BDC reticle. I have one with the JM-1 reticle I use in 3 gun and it's an excellent optic. Perfect sized red dot in the reticle for quick fast shots up close but also not overly large so you can leave it on when dialing up power to make longer shots. Worth a look.

I like the FFs, but I would not put on an actual battle rifle. That said, a red dot and an optic puts you in Open division. If you just want to play, that is fine, but it is a more equipment driven division. The quality 1-4 lineup under $500 includes: Vortex 1-4 ($500), Burris MTAC 1-4 ($400), Leupold VX2 ($300), Bushnell 1-4 ($280), Burris Tac30 ($270).

There are some 1-5s and I will be running the new Burris XTRII 1-5 this year, which I am really excited about. There are a lot more 1-6s out there. Quality does not really start until you are in the $800 range and then goes north of $2K pretty quick.

As far as going with a fixed scope, I'm thinking I don't really need variable zoom since I will have a CQB red dot as well. I'm looking for a scope to handle 75-250 yard range. Again, I'm thinking, I can get more bang for buck in terms of ruggedness and quality, not to mention size, by going with a fixed power scope. With the fixed scope in mind, I would be looking at ACOG if it wasn't for cost. Right now I'm thinking Burris AR-536. But in reality, I'm just trying to get ideas at this point.

If, and I stress IF, I did a 3 gun, it would simply just be for fun at this point. First and foremost this is a defense/battle rifle, but I would like to have a setup that would at least be adequate for 3 gun.

By FFs, I'm assuming you're talking about a FastFires. Out of curiousity, why would you not put it on a battle rifle? I ask because I haven't ruled out 45* irons.

By FFs, I'm assuming you're talking about a FastFires. Out of curiousity, why would you not put it on a battle rifle? I ask because I haven't ruled out 45* irons.

Yes. With the ARF3 mount, it is protected, and I have those on some ARs, but on the 45, the potential to be impacted is enough that I would fret about it getting smashed, scratched, or at least distorted. There is an aluminum hoop over a piece of glass. Nothing says you can not mount the ARF3 on the 45.

The ARF3 mount: AR-F3 Sight - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

I set up a few local LEs with the AR332 as a primary and a green laser for contact to 50 yards or so. They have been liking the system a lot and their qual scores went up on the first go round. They were using ACOGs before. I think with no more than 300 yards, the 3x would be preferable to the 5x, but the 5x will help in 3Gun if the targets are out past 300.

Also, does anyone have experience with both the Burris AR-536 and the Nikon M-223? I've been looking at the M-223 in a 2-8x...