• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for an off the shelf rifle.

flyracing117

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Ive been looking for an Ar lately. Looking for it to be chambered in 5.56 and would prefer that it comes with iron sights. Im looking at just around $1000 for budget (not counting my optics, but they are picked out already) The gun is going to be for recreational shooting as well as coyote hunting.

Im not sure yet but im either going to run a low powered scope like a 1-7x or a red dot styled sight. So I would like the sights to be removable or flip up so they dont ineterfere with a low power scope. This is my first AR so heck i might even have both types of scopes/sights just for different uses.

I was leaning towards the S&W M&P 15T but its selling for about $200+ more than i want to spend

DPMS im leary about, I havent heard much good about them.
Bushmaster, i hear is pretty much on par with DPMS but you are paying for the name?
Smith and Wesson, ive heard they are turning out fine rifles.
Rock River, A buddy is still waiting on his order, and i dont really want to wait that long.

Thanks All, Oh and does this forum have a google search? I went into the search box next to FAQ and Active Topics but it didnt return me with what i wanted.

Re: Looking for an off the shelf rifle.

ive owned dpms ap 4 for over 6 years and use it for patrol. i have had no problems and have no complaints. rrs is a great gun maybe worth the wait. at 1000 you kinda limit what you can get

there's nothing wrong with a bushmaster (new or older). IMHO, bushmasters are very accurate, reliable weapons

before i started building my own, i owned several colt and bushmaster AR's. they hold their value very well (if left mostly stock).

Although my DPMS has performed well, the lower receiver is out of spec; the holes for the retaining pin holding the trigger assembly in are misaligned. I know this is not common with their rifles. Other than that, it is a fine rifle and shoots rather well!

Well for how little I shoot a year I dont need a high end gun. That would be like buying a ferrari just to drive it around in your driveway. But at the same time i dont want my first experiences with Ar's to be bad.

Heres what ive found that fits what i am after:
DPMS Mid length But i dont really need the heavy barrel on this gun.
M&P 15T
Stag Model 3

Those are the 3 that i have found. They arent listed in any order. But then again maybe I would be better off buying my first one and just running irons/red dot on it and then just in the near future as funds permit getting ANOTHER ar that is more suited to hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there's nothing wrong with a bushmaster (new or older). IMHO, bushmasters are very accurate, reliable weapons</div></div>

What he said..

I have heard great things about BCM, LMT, and Daniel Defense. I have an old Eagle Arms lower that I have pieced together parts over the years that has a BCM upper on it now.

Find a used gun at a pawn shop then you can upgrade and replace as needed.

I had a Bushmaster for a few years the only thing that ever went wrong with it was the bolt carrier key came loose and made it a single shot. Replaced the bolt carrier with a properly staked carrier and it shot fine.

There are plenty of ready-to-roll Rock River's out there. They have the best factory trigger I've experienced and are very accurate. Depending on the configuration you want, it should not be a problem to find one ready to ship.

I dont know what i want. I want a 5.56 ar but i cant afford to shoot it as much as I would like. I look at a dedicated .22 upper but i want more pop than a .22

Would I be better of going with a .22 upper and standard lower and just getting familiar with the AR platform. Running it for a few years and in the process save up some $$ and buy a centerfire upper or two that all fit my needs? My biggest issue is I already have a 10/22 and while I love shooting the thing (and havent regretted buying it even after 10,000+ rounds laters) im afraid that if i get a .22 upper im going have have a gun that i regret buying and wish i would have spent the extra $300 for a centerfire gun.

get a tapco stock for the 10/22 that will come close to the feel of an AR, get a decent used AR with basic optics, you can stay under 1000 total and if you want to evolve to something else you can turn a used AR around for almost no loss

if you fill out your profile and let folks know where you are you may get some hands on help offers

If you are interested in a Rock River I may be able to put you in touch with someone who can "expidite" your order.

I have shot a few Bushmasters, and they are good guns. I just recently built up my own AR-15. I got a great deal on a spec stripped lower and added a Stag Arms parts kit and stock. I then paired it with Model 2H upper. The total price of the gun came out very close to $700. If your willing to build up your own lower, it is super easy and will save you some money over buying an off the shelf AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Caelumatra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/75197

Cant really beat that price, or quality </div></div>

I own one all LMT and one BCM upper/LMT lower, but I would jump on this Colt at that price.

Grant at G & R Tactical posted on m4carbine.net that he would match the price and not charge extra for CC payments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Caelumatra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/75197

Cant really beat that price, or quality </div></div>

In your price range and a great resale value if you upgrade or, heaven-for-bid, don't like it.

Just make sure it's the config you want, I wouldn't go swapping out too much on a Colt. Keep that stock, or at least keep the parts to resell it as stock.

Ok all, im refining what type of gun im looking for. Basicly I want it to come with a decent set of iron sights. Im going to run the iron sights untill A: I either get sick of missing and upgrade to a scope or B: can rat hole enough money to get an eotech/aimpoint/or similar.

Would a gun with a removable carry handle be the way to go? or would one with flip up rear sight be better? just for plinking and having fun, as well as getting familiar with the AR platform.

For a lower cost, great quality

Stag Arms

find the one that fits your needs.

John