• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for bedside home defense pistol...of these 3...

GoatPilot04

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
Hey guys, just wanted your thoughts on a few of the pistols I've been looking at. To be fair, I am what many of you refer to as a Glock fanboy. I'll wear that patch lol. BUT... most of the ones with the exception of the 19x are NOT Glocks. So as stated, the Glock 19x is on the list. I know it's not technically a full size except the frame but it is what it is and I think it's a good value and the cheapest of the top three. The other is Colts Delta Elite railed 10mm. I know it is only 8+1 so that it a downside, but I've wanted a 10mm for a while. Lastly, and highest on my list after I handled one, is FNs FNX 45 Tactical. It's twice the coin of the Glock, but I like it's features such as the threaded barrel and suppressor sights. The package and accessories and mags that come with it are a plus. I loved the trigger feel and weight a LOT more than the Glock, or any of my Glocks for that matter, even the modded ones I have. I've only handled it, not shot, but it felt great in my hand. I've read tons of the reviews both professional and amateur ones, and watched quite a few vids on YouTube. I have a feeling this is a moot point cause the FN has caught my attention so much. Have any of you guys had experience with these? Pros/cons? I understand all of you have faves but these three are the only three I'm interested in. Thanks guys!

1- Buy what you want
2- Run a couple hundred rounds of your preferred defense loads
3- Be happy
4- Refer to step 2

Admitted Glock fanboy and proud owner of a FNX 45 tac

Reactions: spartan67
FNX 45 TAC for the win IMO, but there are many Glocks sitting on night stands around the world. As far as the Colt Delta Elite, every man should own one in his lifetime... You will undoubtedly hear all the talk about caliber penetration and over-penetration in a home environment, round capacity and so on, simply put

1- Buy what you want
2- Run a couple hundred rounds of your preferred defense loads
3- Be happy
4- Refer to step 2

And have a blast with whatever you choose...

I have two stock Glock 19s with night sights and lights for home defense and CCW. I keep my nice guns that are worth a lot more separate from my HD gear.

If you shoot some thug the police will be taking your gun away on an extended vacation. And AFTER the first robbery or shooting you’re in an even more precarious position because the perp’s buddies are going to want some revenge. That’s when you really have to step up your game and be even more alert.

Also my other family members can manage to shoot a Glock. Other more complex pistols, under stress without training? Maybe on TV....

Two is One, Four is Fun.

Now I have a couple range toys and comp pistols too but I saved up and was patient.

Great reply guys I appreciate it. Not too worried if I have to be forced to use it, them holding it for evidence is the last of my worries. Heard that same reasoning about my SBR from a few buddies but if that's the price I pay for saving my family I can rest at night with that cost. With that said...I've already got a few Glocks. I carry a 36 and a modified 19 is what the go to handgun is currently but it's not something I want my wife feeling uncomfortable with if she were to use it in a shtf scenario at home. It's nice and worn in and has a lot of trigger work, etc done and is very light. Admittedly too light for HD use, more for the range. I think the three I listed are more of a wish list and will eventually get all 3 haha. I think I trust her more with having to use the FN that has a safety compared to the Glock and leaving one in the chamber. I just feel training would not matter if someone were to break in and she grabbed it loaded her, or even my adrenaline might cause an accidental discharge so having an actual safety for the one by the bed is high on the list. I was waiting on somebody to mention the 10mm for overpenetration but aren't most factory 10mm loads right at 40cal specs? I don't reload anymore but would for range time with a 10mm. How do the Delta Elites fair with hot 10mm loads? As for the 19x it just seems like a good all around gun, especially for the price. But again she doesn't feel comfortable with a Glock. Oddly enough a lot of guys I work with have the same reasoning and I just proclaim they should keep their damn finger off the trigger!

The FNX is a fairly soft-shooting 45, almost a pleasure to shoot. It is a beast, size-wise. Not hard to handle, just overall BIG.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER and Fig
have and have had some pretty nice 1911s and 2011s that i use in various competitions, but glock 31 is my bedside gun (32 my carry). not the best ergo's, def not the best triggers, but the glocks just work.

I just feel training would not matter if someone were to break in and she grabbed it loaded her, or even my adrenaline might cause an accidental discharge so having an actual safety for the one by the bed is high on the list.

personally i think relying on a manual safety, to be safe or to keep you safe, isn't a great idea. the safety gets clicked off at some point (knowingly or accidentally or unconsciously) and then it comes back to having one's finger off the trigger (outside the trigger guard, indexed on slide).

personally i think relying on a manual safety, to be safe or to keep you safe, isn't a great idea. the safety gets clicked off at some point (knowingly or accidentally or unconsciously) and then it comes back to having one's finger off the trigger (outside the trigger guard, indexed on slide).

I agree with this.

Going a little further, I think the statement "I just feel that training would not matter..." is a little bit foolish (and I mean that in a polite way). You're right that you and/or your wife will be amped up on adrenaline and dealing with fight/flight response. Given that, I truly believe it's best if you train with whatever it is you keep in or on your nightstand regardless of it is has a safety or not. Personally, I would suggest that you stick with the Glocks, since they're admittedly your cup of tea, and have your wife practice frequently with them. Practice doesn't necessarily have to involve range time either (obviously) - have her practice retrieving the pistol from wherever it is, focus on indexing the trigger finger on the slide, dry firing, etc. Worst thing you could do is put a pistol with a thumb safety on the nightstand, she needs it one night, and she reflexively starts yanking on the trigger without flipping the safety off.

ETA: Read past it the first time, but I saw where you say your wife isn't comfortable with a glock...not physically comfortable (ergos, etc.) or not mentally comfortable (no off switch on a loaded chamber)?

I agree with the safety things and I didn't mean that literally, just figuratively as in things happen and usually at the worst possible time. She's just not used to handling and shooting as much as I so admittedly we need to work on that. I know the FN is large so again that may be out as well because I've held it and I'm not confident she could very well. What are some good safe ideas as far as quick access that's proven dependable and safe for families that have children. What do you guys do that have kids with HD weapons?

for her: revolver? pcc or shotgun (prob better for stand and fight vs clearing the house, at least for the inexperienced or not as strong)?

take her to a range that rents a bunch of guns and let her try an assortment.

and my standard advice for anyone that has a CC or HD gun(s), hit some idpa and uspsa matches with your guns and gear. fun, and a perfect way to see how your guns, gear AND you work under a little stress. i've definitely gotten more proficient from doing lots of these, and have gotten rid of some guns and gear that didn't work well or work together well.

I picked a czp07 as my bedside gun. DA/SA allows me to keep a round in the chamber, still have it "safe" decocked and be ready to go just pulling the trigger a bit farther. Could also swap out the decocker for a safety if that's more your thing. A tlr3 to me has the right amount of light for indoors and is jyst about flush with the pistol end. Ergos of this pistol are also excellent!

Thanks for the replies again guys. What would you all say to having two? Maybe one on each side that fits us each the best? Still trying to sort out the best way to keep them safely stored yet away from the little ones.

The philosophy of not having a manual safety and learning to keep your finger out of the trigger of the guard until you are absolutely ready to fire makes more sense to me. I see people in my family, like my Dad who has been around firearms his entire life, still get flustered with the various safeties. Worse if you have multiple "kinds" of pistols.

If the Glock is scary then how about 150 years of revolvers? Heck John Wayne used to twirl his.

Thanks for the replies again guys. What would you all say to having two? Maybe one on each side that fits us each the best? Still trying to sort out the best way to keep them safely stored yet away from the little ones.

absolutely, each of you use what works for you best. still you never know when you'll end up on the other side of the bed, and each of you should be proficient with all available firearms. also, having two possible shooters in your house presents some serious dynamics that you should consider and plan and prepare for.

no kids here. there are various handgun "safes" and lockboxes you can tether or bolt to furniture or walls that look like they have quick access (biometric or keyed or keypad) and can keep kids out. haven't used any so can't recommend any.

She has no problem using a shotgun. I've been looking at the QuickShot I think it's called, that mounts to a stud and clamps around the trigger area to prevent firing while it's secured. Just didnt know how they fair. Then use a bio or something of the sort for my side. When our daughter was little (younger than 3 anyway) and could not climb around I kept a pistol on one of those magnet holders on the wall above the bed but she's older now and curious and I keep them in the safe which is why we also need ways to secure them but access quickly. Crime in our area actually isn't bad but we've had family that's traveled the wrong path in their life and ended up breaking into my wife's 80 year old grandparents home and stole all their guns and pawned them. That was when we invested in our first big safe. I know they can all be broken into but the typical POS isn't equipped nor interested in fighting a safe that long....I hope anyway. Sad day when your worst fear of someone harming your family and property is another family member.

I don't have the TAC version, just the regular old FNX, I like it. Have Glocks too, and Sigs, and HKs, and Colt...............................you get the idea. Fuck the safety on the tool, the ultimate safety is between your ears.

That is very true. I think as far as our plan goes having something nearer her would suit us better. But back to the original question, I think the Delta Elite is honestly just a "want" of a 10mm firearm. I don't think for the purpose of an HD gun that I'm looking for, that it truly fits in. I'd still love to eventually have one but it's low capacity, it does have the possibility of going through more crap than I'd like, although in reality I think they'd all overpenetrate in certain materials. I mean I WANT a S&W 500 too but that doesnt mean it's practical for this purpose lol. I think it'll just be between the 19x and FNX Tactical. If I can sell my damn bolt .308 I'd finish my 6.5 Creed and get both pistols. But with having another little one on the way the ball and chain has me by the ball and chain so to speak.

You're asking a bunch of gun guys what we think of having multiple firearms? Of COURSE we think you should get two! :D

Seriously though, since handguns are definitely not a "one size fits all" kind of thing, it may be best for you to have one (say the FN or your Glocks) and for her to have one that fits her hand and she's comfortable and is willing/excited to PRACTICE with.

As for storage, I keep a lighted 17 in a keypad version of the Speedvault by Gunvault:

http://www.gunvault.com/sv500.html

I had to trim the foam a bit to get the light to fit, and a 17 is about all that thing wants so a 19-sized pistol should be just right. I leave it open 99% of the time since I don't have any kiddos yet, but when the nieces and nephews come over, I just shut it up. It's not the fanciest thing, and there are rumblings around the internet of them burning through batteries more often than they should (I personally haven't noticed this), but it seems to work good for me for the time being. If you're worried about batteries, just put a reminder on your calendar or smart phone to replace the battery every few months or so for peace of mind. There's also a print scanner version of this safe as well.

My preference is a box with a Simplex four button mechanical lock. No batteries. The company that made mine is long gone, but I've had it over twenty years.

True...shoulda known the only answer I would get would be ALL lol. Honestly I do want them all anyway. Over time they'll be hanging on the door of the Liberty together anyway. Really leaning toward the FNX Tac first right now. Trying to game out some places near North Alabama that has couple's training classes for firearm self defense and others. I'd like to take some carbine courses and long range classes anyway. Just difficult right now with her being 5 mos pregnant the LAST thing she's worried about is a gun. Add to that we just went to the ER yesterday to find out she has gallstones and will require surgery, just prayerfully not while pregnant.

Hey guys, just wanted your thoughts on a few of the pistols I've been looking at. To be fair, I am what many of you refer to as a Glock fanboy. I'll wear that patch lol. BUT... most of the ones with the exception of the 19x are NOT Glocks. So as stated, the Glock 19x is on the list. I know it's not technically a full size except the frame but it is what it is and I think it's a good value and the cheapest of the top three. The other is Colts Delta Elite railed 10mm. I know it is only 8+1 so that it a downside, but I've wanted a 10mm for a while. Lastly, and highest on my list after I handled one, is FNs FNX 45 Tactical. It's twice the coin of the Glock, but I like it's features such as the threaded barrel and suppressor sights. The package and accessories and mags that come with it are a plus. I loved the trigger feel and weight a LOT more than the Glock, or any of my Glocks for that matter, even the modded ones I have. I've only handled it, not shot, but it felt great in my hand. I've read tons of the reviews both professional and amateur ones, and watched quite a few vids on YouTube. I have a feeling this is a moot point cause the FN has caught my attention so much. Have any of you guys had experience with these? Pros/cons? I understand all of you have faves but these three are the only three I'm interested in. Thanks guys!

FNX is a great gun. My night/bedroom gun just got upgraded for a rail, I'm definitely a big fan of a handgun w/rail mounted light.

Others have said the truth here: get what you enjoy. If you liked the trigger and grip of the FNX, get it and don't look back :)

I think that's the plan...The FNX Tac when I can scrounge up the cash or sell another gun to get it. Probably get the 19x also. I've handle the 19x but haven't shot one. A good coworker buddy that's in the Army just bought one and has offered to lend it to me one day when I go to the range if he can't make it along.

I like their rifles but I've honestly never touched a CZ pistol. I thought one of the EAA Witness I looked at was a copy of a CZ but I may be severely mistaken.

I think I trust her more with having to use the FN that has a safety compared to the Glock and leaving one in the chamber. I just feel training would not matter if someone were to break in and she grabbed it loaded her, or even my adrenaline might cause an accidental discharge so having an actual safety for the one by the bed is high on the list.

... so you're relying on a safety to prevent an ND, yet don't think that it could also be a hindrance when a shot is actually needed?

No need for a .45 with today's 9mm defense load offerings (Federal HSTs or Speer Gold Dots).

My vote is to convert your 19 back to a stock trigger and put your money into TRAINING. IMO it is the single most important thing that everybody needs, yet only a fraction of people follow through with. The first time you learn to move and use your gun inside a structure should not be when it's worth all the marbles.

I realize you said for night stand work. However if you were to use those firearms for other purposes such as CCW, hunting, plinking, teaching other family members how to shoot, it might be worth considering which ones would be more "multi purpose". The 10 mm I think would be the least multi purpose, the glock the most multi purpose, and while I really like the FN pistol, it's size limits what it can do. For multi purpose, I would choose the glock.

Wow.......
Glock, 10 mm Delta, FN 45x, pregnant wife, bedside shotgun on a QuickStud, small children about......with little to no actual experience with any of these firearms ?
psychiatrists might label this "free association".

Spend any monies left over from the dream firearms on training.

Seriously need to step back and consider a bedside simple revolver in .38 caliber with a handheld LED flashlight at the bedside AFTER some training at least in the daytime at the range, by all adults involved.

Topics such as these are prime considerations on this expert forum:
https://www.facebook.com/ATLFirearms/

FNX...meh

FNX with an RMR and a BFS...yaya.
E260CEAB-33D1-41EF-BE3B-6BABE6E3878F.jpeg

0E7D2BBC-C9D5-457C-BE68-5A000E2E19A0.jpeg

I appendix carry this...with the can on. ;)

Yes we have a revolver out, it is the only one out right now actually. This thread was started to inquire about three firearms I've looked at over the past few months that I liked. Yes my wife doesn't like Glocks, her preference is just a revolver or something with a safety, I never said she was utterly incompetent. No need to bring Freud into this, as that is not what I was asking. Yes we need to train more, and nobody said we weren't. You should train more also. The next guy to post on here should train more as well. That is all a given and entirely irrelevant to what I had initially asked. Other than that I was seeking ways to secure a firearm (that is still the correct thing to do isn't it?) that can still be accessed quickly instead of having to get into a safe. I appreciate all comments and suggestions but insults may be kept to themselves. Nobody on here is perfect or else there would be no need to have a forum other than to share target pictures and brag about what we've got. Moving on...the 10mm was just a want, that is admitted haha. I still prefer the FN for myself, but the Glock is just as good for me and half the price, and to find her an alternative that's near her where she feels the most comfortable and is the most proficient. I think I know where we should go from here. Thanks guys for the conversation and help!

Reactions: D. Hargrove
Interested to hear what the OP decides. My wife has ditched her Glock 17 in favor of her S&W Model 60 for her bedside gun, she is proficient with both, simply feels more so with the Smith and keeps it loaded with 2 rounds rat shot, then 3 rounds HST. Nice to know she is there and armed if the need arises as I generally (the one time it happened) clear the house with my weapon. Good luck and happy shopping to the OP.

Interested to hear what the OP decides. My wife has ditched her Glock 17 in favor of her S&W Model 60 for her bedside gun, she is proficient with both, simply feels more so with the Smith and keeps it loaded with 2 rounds rat shot, then 3 rounds HST. Nice to know she is there and armed if the need arises as I generally (the one time it happened) clear the house with my weapon. Good luck and happy shopping to the OP.
unless she plans on defending the house from rats.....i would STRONGLY recommend ditching the rat shot

out of such a short barrel....that tiny amount of shot is not going to reliably stop an attacker.

Last edited:
Just mount this next to the bedroom door.

but seriously, get something that you can shoot and shoot well. also get something that if the time comes, you are ok with parting with since you may never see it again.

for your wife, get one that she likes the look of and to shoot. as stupid as it is, if they don't like it then they wont ever train with it. if she wants a pink gun then get her one. honestly, no one is going to be laughing at her with lead flying at their head.

All calibers of pistols can do the job so go after what feels good and shoots good. mine is a XDM 4.5" 45 with night sights and a tlr-1 HL. I carry a G19 and fixing to start carrying a G43.

unless she plans on defending the house from rats.....i would STRONGLY recommend ditching the rat shot

out of such a short barrel....that tiny amount of shot is not going to reliably stop an attacker.

I concur completely, her first two are for Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins and Copperheads. Wew live on the OK/TX line with a 7 Acre pond behind the house. If I am gone she loads all 5 with HST.

If it's for serious purposes, get the one that you know will be the most reliable and practice with it.

Range toys are toys.

FNX 45 Tactical for the win.

Attachments

• 5B60DA1C-BA0F-4E6D-AD08-802FBCA513CD.jpeg
    5B60DA1C-BA0F-4E6D-AD08-802FBCA513CD.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 34
I vote the 19. I have one as my bedside gun. I run the 31rd magazine and the glock laser/light combo and tritium sights. Having the high capacity, relatively short and easy to point frame and barrel, and the light/laser on at the same time, or either one, makes me feel very good about any possible altercations within the home. The tritium sights help in locating the gun when eyes are foggy and light is non existent. IMO it’s the perfect home defense weapon, at least the most capable one that I own.

My next HD gun will be the 19X with Ameriglo Agent sights and some type of Surefire attached when I move out of California (Not CS Tactical moving).

Richard@CST

Last edited:
I know the topic says pistols BUT i think the best HD weapon is a REM 870 20ga or REM/Wilson Combat w Surefire light. BB,#4 buck And maybe some 00 buck on your last 2 shots.

Glock 19 with a surfire or streamlight attached gets my vote. Easy to use for anyone in your family if god forbid your not home or unable to help. It'simple and easy to train your family on.

Nothing like someone banging on the door early am, dog going bat shit , rolling out of bed half a sleep and trying to engage a situation w 1 eye open. Been there done it twice thank god no one was actually in my house. I shoot thousands of rounds a year and I will be the first to admit making first round hits half asleep w a handgun in a split second is highly unlikely at the distance in my house. 12ha Shotgun first while the wife has a 10mm/45 super handgun and cell phone as backup. This works for me everyone’s situation is different.

I had the chance to handle a 19x today. Its definitely going to be my next handgun purchase. Very comfortable.

That being said, I literally sleep with an H&K P30L with an inforce apl-c light hanging on it. It's by far my favorite handgun.

I'm not the best with a pistol, but this is 72 rounds ranging from 10-20 yards, medium rate of fire, and the one below it is 72 rounds 3-7 yards, also medium rate.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3483.jpg
    IMG_3483.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 29