• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for Binos 1500.00 price range

James n TN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2004
Tennessee
Not to muddy up the other thread. I’m seeking the very best binoculars in the 1500.00 price range. But before we get into these at that price range is there a significant difference say in a 700.00 pair and a pair 2x the cost?

Now onto the binos in price range I’m seeking providing there is a significant difference. What do you guys recommend?

I am ordering these FD1A1239-241C-4B45-987B-320D8A921020.png

Reactions: HeavyAssault
If you have a Cabelas in your area check the bargain cave, mine regularly has some deals on high end binos. About a month ago I walked out with a pair of new style Swaro EL 10x42’s for $1300 which retail for over $2600. Someone had bought them (more like rented) for a weekend and returned them. You couldn’t tell they had been out of the box. They had been reduced a couple times and then I negotiated them down another $200, but that’s about as good a deal as you’re going to get.

Don’t be afraid to buy lightly used ones either. There are deals to be had on the second hand market.

As much as with a rifle scope...more money spent on binoculars usually means better quality.
I sell optics in Canada. People come in look through a couple different pair of bino's at different price points and can't see a difference.
But when you're out hunting you're likely not looking at something 100m down a well lit street...through the store windows.
It took me a few years to really convince myself, but last year I finally coughed up the cash for a pair of EL Swarovski's and I don't regret it one bit.
If you want to stick to $1500 look for a pair of lightly used Swaro's or Leica's. If you're the type that likes to only buy new my personal preference would be the Nikon Monarch HG. In the mid price range they do seem to be the best.
Don't know about the U.S. (I would imagine it's the same) but in Canada Nikon Sport optics has a lifetime no fault warranty. Run over them with your 4x4, send them to Nikon and they'll repair/replace. Can't beat that.

Leupold bx-5 are rediculously good for $1100-1300

I picked up some Vortex Kaibab 18x56 at a crazy price with extras to boot. Overall I've been impressed with the binos. Spotting in the woods/fields and at the range are their primary function. In recent days using them at much greater distance targets has been impressive as well. Spotting airliners flying overhead to the extent I could tell the carrier by tailend colors or overall airplane coloring. It's impressive to see something with the naked eye then use the Vortex to see the aircraft and tell it's a Delta airliner.

I'd been wanting a set of 15x56 binos for several years - naturally, wanted the Swaro SLCs. But reality bites, and I didn't want to have to sell a Bighorn rifle in order to get the Swaros...so, after reading several negative reviews on the Vortex Kaibabs, that narrowed it down to the Leupold BX-5 15x56. Kept watching for a deal on a pair, and then this fall, Leupold announced a MSRP drop of $250, so I dug out $200 worth of Cabela's gift cards I'd been saving & applied the $154 in Club points I had - that got me into a set for under $900, and I've been very pleased with them. Very clear & sharp, with excellent color rendition, but you'll quickly notice that binos in this power range have a rather shallow depth of field, so expect to need to focus often for sharpest image if you're panning & looking at objects at various distances. It would be educational to have a set of the Swaro SLC 15x56 binos on a tripod right beside my Leupolds out in the field or on the range - would like to find out if my 67yr old eyes can see a difference between the two.

I've set them up on a tripod using the cheap narrow velcro strap adapter that came in the box, which is better than nothing, but I'll be looking at various other, more substantial mounting systems this winter.

For anyone considering a hunting type binoculars, I did extensive research for months and have been beyond pleased with the CL Swaros (8x30 is what I’m running).
I couldn’t justify $1600 binocs that I may leave in the field by accident (left many things behind in the heat of a hunt) so I budgeted less than $1,000.00.
Below is a link to a very in depth, and great CL review - that basically says Swaro didn’t hype up the CL because they didn’t want to take away from the EL, but they’re damn near just as good.
In the field, the CL vs EL sure does not seem like it’s worthy of $600-$800 additional.
I stayed away from purchasing from any “newer” companies out there in fear of long term ownership. Swaro has, and will be around when my 37 yr old eyes are 57 yr old eyes - if the binocs ever have an issue.
https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Swarovski-CL-Companion-8x30-109.htm

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
My post, was mainly intended to answer the question “is there any significant difference between a $700 pair and $1400 pair”.
In my opinion, and application, I can’t justify the cost. My CL Swaro binocs I put in the same quality category as my Nightforce scopes.
I would never consider the Swaro’s to be in the $400 Bushnell category - quality from Vortex/Bushnell $400 offerings, to Swaro $900, is a night and day difference.
I cannot say the same for the jump from CL to EL.

There's an array of awesome binoculars in the $800 - $1500 price range. One of my favorites is the Kowa Genesis, there's the Nikon Monarch HG's, Meopta MeoStars. Please feel free to give us a call to discuss different options.
Totally agree with Doug on this one. I sold a larger pair of Swaro ELs due to size and weight issues (for me) and looked seriously at the smaller ELs but per Doug's suggestion, I also looked at the comparable KOWA Genesis model. Compared them side-by-side on several occasions and found the KOWA to be optically equal to or greater than the Swaros and for significantly less $$. I could afford either, but ended up with the KOWA.

You'll be happy with either one though. They are both outstanding optics.

Only one I would purchase in that range is a used Swaro 10x42 EL or add 300 and get a used EL with range feature.

If you could stretch your budget a bit Swaros SLC are routinely for sale for less than $2000
Mine are awesome.
I sent back some Vortex Razor 12x56 and some Steiner 15x56 bc chromatic aberration
I had plenty of time behind a friend’s Leicas and none of them come even close to Swaros
I would wait a bit longer and get Swaros
Just my $.02

Reactions: CuTm and RTH1800
Totally agree with Doug on this one. I sold a larger pair of Swaro ELs due to size and weight issues (for me) and looked seriously at the smaller ELs but per Doug's suggestion, I also looked at the comparable KOWA Genesis model. Compared them side-by-side on several occasions and found the KOWA to be optically equal to or greater than the Swaros and for significantly less $$. I could afford either, but ended up with the KOWA.

You'll be happy with either one though. They are both outstanding optics.

Amen to Nikon Monarch HG;s mine are 10 x 42.

We posted some Leica deals the other day at great savings

I bought the Geovid HD-B from Doug a while back and took it out for the first time this weekend. Absolutely amazing and have replaced my spotting scopes. Also was able to get ranges 2000 yards + on trees and other non-reflective targets (perfect conditions).

Just out of curiosity, how do the Geovids and Ultravids compare optically? 10x42 in this case?

I love, love, love my Kahles 8x42s. I have looked thru them Swaro ELs and could not see the price difference. That Kahles are about $800.

I bought the Geovid HD-B from Doug a while back and took it out for the first time this weekend. Absolutely amazing and have replaced my spotting scopes. Also was able to get ranges 2000 yards + on trees and other non-reflective targets (perfect conditions).

Just out of curiosity, how do the Geovids and Ultravids compare optically? 10x42 in this case?

They are optically the same to the best of my knowledge, however, there is about a 5% optical loss in the Geovid due to the laser running through the optical element

I have a very nice 12x50 UltraVid in box I would part with. It's exceptional glass. Just an extra