• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for competition shoots in Illinois

didithurt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2011
Illinois
You guys have probably got the coolest rifles in the world, but where do you get to shoot them, I'm not being a dick... I want to shoot competition, I just can't find anywhere to start on the lower end of the experience curve, how does one even locate a competition club. The one I was invited to shoot in only allows the .223 version of the AR. Got any ideas..?

cool.gif

Re: Looking for competition shoots in Illinois

"Move to a more gun friendly state!"
hahaha NO DOUBT..! AND WARMER TOO DAMMIT..!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flatlander308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This site might be of intrest to you.
http://www.illinoishighpower.org/index.html </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Thanks flatlander308.!!!</span></span>

cool.gif

lots of places in IL, even international competition are held here, you will find that high power is an old boys club not geared toward expansion or expressly friendly to outsiders, that said a little more description of your location could be in order, it is a 7 hour drive N to S in IL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lots of places in IL, even international competition are held here, you will find that high power is an old boys club not geared toward expansion or expressly friendly to outsiders, that said a little more description of your location could be in order, it is a 7 hour drive N to S in IL </div></div>

Yeah, I know, I live here. I'm also 42 years old and retired from the military under disability, I also have a valid driver's license, 2 cars and a 4x4 pickup. I can also drive through this country, from N.Y to L.A. without a GPS. and know how to put gas in my vehicle, I've owned 63 cars, 7 trucks, and 5 motorcycles, been to 5 countries, and probably never assumed that someone didn't know how big the state they lived in was.

still does not help for where you are for places to shoot

GEORGE...HAHAHA...Let's try this, ANYWHERE INSIDE THE GOVERNMENT DRAWN BORDER LINES OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hipower hosts a shooting tournament about 1 hour from me, cool!

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com is about 15 minutes away from me in Carlock, that's pretty cool too. </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Thanx kaptain86..!</span></span></span> When do they do it..? I couldn't find it on the link...
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">***Oh Crap... George</span></span></span>, I'm planning to drive around the first year, here in Illinois to attend as many as I can to get familiar with them then just go to the ones locally, Sorry, thought I put that up in the first post, my inner retardation gene is showing isn't it, My apologies for retorting as foolishly as I had. Next time just remind me to look at my first post. or just Btch Slp me. HA HA HA Duh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hipower hosts a shooting tournament about 1 hour from me, cool!

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com is about 15 minutes away from me in Carlock, that's pretty cool too. </div></div>

whiteoak is pretty much the gold standard for AR service rifle competitors, I had no idea they were here in IL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: didithurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hipower hosts a shooting tournament about 1 hour from me, cool!

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Thanx kaptain86..!</span></span></span> When do they do it..? I couldn't find it on the link...
</div></div>

I don't think they have 2012 posted yet, sign up for the mailing list and you should probably get filled in when they schedule it.

I haven't done the competition before, but I signed up for the mailing list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lots of places in IL, even international competition are held here, you will find that high power is an old boys club not geared toward expansion or expressly friendly to outsiders, that said a little more description of your location could be in order, it is a 7 hour drive N to S in IL </div></div>

My experience has been just the opposite. I began shooting highpower in IL 2 seasons ago. I have found people extremely welcoming at matches. IL has a tremendous amount of service rifle talent and last year had high civilian team at Camp Perry. An IL resident also won the President's 100 and the state has a fantastic junior program.

Attend a match with a willingness to learn and ask someone for help getting started. You won't believe the response you receive.

Hope to see you at some matches next year.

Check out the competition section of the forum.