• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Looking for experience with nitrex optics

308 5R

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2008
North Carolina
I'm looking for a pair of field binoculars in the 8-10x magnification range. The price range I am looking at is up to $400 or so. I picked up a pair of 8x42 nitrex binoculars at the local sporting goods store the other day and was quite impressed for the money when compared to the likes of leupold, nikon and a few others. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any longterm, field-use experience with this brand of optics. Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi
Ryan

Re: Looking for experience with nitrex optics

No long term use, we had some in for testing they were Ok but not great for that price get the Nikon ATB bino's they are way better and cheaper.

I asked a similar question and SWFA had and might still have some Kahles 8X32's for sale for $399.95 + S+H. That puts it right in the price range and power range that you are talking about.

Not trying to knock Nitrex, they might be really good, but when I posed my question comparing Kahles to Leupold and everyone said that the Kahles was a better Bino. So I went with the Kahles and should have them on Friday and they are a well nown brand.

I guess the decision is up to you but that might be something to consider instead.

I kind of wonder what ATK's commitment to the Nitrex optics line is as they have had the for a couple of years and I do not see any increase in the number of retailers carrying it. Their intent at one point was to develop Nitrex into a line of scopes made off shore that would compete with high-end domestic hunting optics. I do not think they are there yet. There are some excellent optics manufactures in the east but it takes a lot of QC and face time in the factories which is neither cheap nor fun.

Sorry for the delay of my reply. The Nikon ATB Line is one of the competitors that I was looking at. I had reservation about those models because someone had told me they had a pair and they constantly fogged up. I might just end up getting a pair to try out and be a ginea pig. They seemed to be built just as well as any others in that price range. Thank you for the replies.

Semper Fi
Ryan