• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for fellow Remington 700 5-R Gen 2 Owners!!!

Dutch260

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Katy, TX
I bought my 5-R Gen 2 back in January and so far my only complaint is I haven't gotten to shoot it enough! I guess this rifle is fairly new to market as I haven't been able to find much info on it in the forums both on here and other sites regarding other people's experience with it.

So far I've topped it off with a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42, installed a Timney Calvin Elite Trigger, and put a Triad Stock pack on it.

I'm still wet behind the ears as a Sniper's Hide member so hopefully this post won't fall flat on it's face right out of the gates. Was hoping to get a thread going with other 5-R Gen 2 owners to share experiences, discuss new or potential upgrades, and maybe even reloading data/recipes.

Any takers???

I'm a Gen1 owner, so maybe I am bias. That said I doubt you will find any difference in opinions of Gen1 vs Gen2 owners. The upgrade options are essentially the same between Gen1 and Gen2, less the Gen1's need a few minor upgrades (treading depending on model, fluting if you want that, bolt knob, and cerakote) before they are the "same" as Gen2s. Other than that they are the same rifle.

You've already upgraded the trigger. If you spent the premium on a 5R there is not much point in messing with the barrel, other than adding a break or a can to your set up.

Upgrades left for you to do:
-Chassis/bottom metal upgrade for AICS magazines
-trueing the action
-8-40 tap/thread scope base
-Barrel upgrade, or remage/switch barrel system so you can have other barrels (7, 6.5, 6mm flavors)
-Suppressor and/or Muzzle Brake.

Personally, my first upgrade was an adjustable chassis with AICS system, I went with the XLR element, but there are many great options for you to choose from.

Reactions: Thecelt
I own the rifle you are referring to... 24" barrel 308 Gen 2... The first "upgrade" I made was to send it to LRI and have them fix the primary extraction. And I'd venture to guess if you have an RR serial number yours is like every other I've seen... While there I also had them flute and cerakote the the bolt... I replaced the trigger with a CE first but then changed it out for a Trigger Tech, many so I could save my CE for another build. The HS precision stock it comes with is IMO junk, so I dropped it in one of Stockys LPR stocks. Not the greatest thing in the world but much better than it was... Had the stock I keyed by CDI for their DBM and it runs flawless.
I don't shoot matches but do have my own steel range I set up at the family farm. I have 2 MOA swingers at 200,300,400,500,550,700 and 925 and have zero issues hold 1/2-3/4 groups out to 700. I'm still pretty new as you are to long range shooting and this was just an easy way of a getting started for me.

As for reloading for mine loves the 178 ELDXs over Varget, Lapua Brass, 210Ms. I don't own a crono but use BallisticArc and wind meter that has a calculator that stats 2709 velocity, which is 27.5 MOA at 925. And if I could learn to shoot wind my groups would also be in the 1/2-3/4 range.
I love this rifle to be honest, but it also be that I have never had a set up like it either or ran a suppressor until now. If I had it to over again I would but now that I have it I wish I had something better, and will after I offload a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am assuming since your name is 260 yours is in that caliber?
I purchased the Gen 2 300WM from budsguns locally to me.. and the stock was not free floating so i dropped it in a AIC AX folding stock, along with a Timney 510 trigger from elite tactical components. Its suppressed with a thunderbeast arms inc CB brake and Ultra 7 suppressor. my best load so far is 75 grains of h1000 with a Hornady 208 projectile on top. magnetospeed gave me an average speed of 2787.

i bought a Seekins 20MOA base and Seekins extra high rings. and am using a Vortex PST 4-15X50 i believe

Thanks for the feedback / input guys! I think my girlfriend is getting tired of listening to me talk non-stop about my rifles and all the stuff I want to do to it. Her poker face is beginning to waiver.

And yeah I forgot to mention that mine is chambered in .260 which is my first 6.5 cartridge.

Since I’ve joined Sniper’s Hide and been combing through the forums I have completely jumped off into the deep end. I’ve been researching fairly extensively most of the options both of y’all have discussed. I’m not sure if I’m crazy about the HS Precision stock either SMiller. I feel like there is this awkward dance with my right hand/trigger finger when trying to set up for a shot in order for it to feel natural.

I’ve looked at the XLR chassis and have been looking really hard at the MPA BA lately. Both seem like a great chassis/option for the money. Especially after having a short love affair with the Cadex Defense Chassis which is way out of my league at this point.

What was wrong with the primary extraction on your rifle SMiller? I’m not extremely familiar with primary extraction timing but based on my quick YouTube/google search I think mine is working as it is supposed to.

Okay time for what is probably a stupid question. Right now the longest COAL I can load for the internal magazine is 2.840” which is not ideal for running any sort of VLD style bullets since that leaves almost a .100 jump and eats up lots of case capacity with the bullet being seated so far in the case. Regardless if I end up putting my barreled action on a chassis or upgrade the bottom metal to accept AICS mags, will either of those options allow me to feed longer (> 2.840”) bullets reliably from the magazine? My assumption was that I’d have to get the receiver milled/modified to accept a longer magazine box but please straighten me out if I’m wrong.

Lastly, seeing that all three of y’all have replaced the stock on these rifles, did you noticed an immediate improvement in the rifle’s accuracy? Especially you two that went to a Chassis system?

i can't tell you if accuracy changed as i immediately changed the non free floating stock.. the AIC is a solid chassis. just a very odd torque setting 52inch lbs if i remember right

I bought one of these in .308 for my son. He loves it. We spent last weekend hog hunting and it was his rifle of choice. After the hunt, we were shooting on the property's range and he went 18 for 18 on a six-inch-square steel target at 500 yards. That has completely sold him on the rifle.

The only modifications were to put in a Timney trigger and swap the bottom metal for a PTG DBM.

i am assuming since your name is 260 yours is in that caliber?
I purchased the Gen 2 300WM from budsguns locally to me.. and the stock was not free floating so i dropped it in a AIC AX folding stock, along with a Timney 510 trigger from elite tactical components. Its suppressed with a thunderbeast arms inc CB brake and Ultra 7 suppressor. my best load so far is 75 grains of h1000 with a Hornady 208 projectile on top. magnetospeed gave me an average speed of 2787.

i bought a Seekins 20MOA base and Seekins extra high rings. and am using a Vortex PST 4-15X50 i believe

Hey if you dont mind what did you pay for it? My local shop had a 5R in 300 WM for around 600 new, and the price had me wondering if Remington quality has gone way down hill or if they just mismarked it.

Hey if you dont mind what did you pay for it? My local shop had a 5R in 300 WM for around 600 new, and the price had me wondering if Remington quality has gone way down hill or if they just mismarked it.

1200- 1300 for the gen2

Im guessing it wasnt a 5R, id bet its a 700 LR, the owner said it was a 5R but ill guess he was mistaken.

If Bell & Carlson stock then it will be the Remington Compact Tactical model and not the Remington 5R Gen 2.

Okay time for what is probably a stupid question. Right now the longest COAL I can load for the internal magazine is 2.840” which is not ideal for running any sort of VLD style bullets since that leaves almost a .100 jump and eats up lots of case capacity with the bullet being seated so far in the case. Regardless if I end up putting my barreled action on a chassis or upgrade the bottom metal to accept AICS mags, will either of those options allow me to feed longer (> 2.840”) bullets reliably from the magazine? My assumption was that I’d have to get the receiver milled/modified to accept a longer magazine box but please straighten me out if I’m wrong.

Some AICS-type magazines will let you load slightly over 2.9" from head to tip. In order to use those, I'm pretty sure Remingtons require a clearance cut/notch at the bottom of the feedramp to let the cartridge rise out of the magazine all the way without the bullet hitting the underside of the receiver.

No you can drop that 5R into a chassis like an XLR and run AICS mags which have a max COAL OF 2.895. To run AW mags you would have to have the feed ramp on the action cut to get you to 2.925 or so...unnecessary, just run AICS mags.

No you can drop that 5R into a chassis like an XLR and run AICS mags which have a max COAL OF 2.895. To run AW mags you would have to have the feed ramp on the action cut to get you to 2.925 or so...unnecessary, just run AICS mags.
My bad, I was thinking of these AICS magazines where you can load significantly over 2.895. I said "slightly over 2.9" should have said "significantly over 2.9", for example:
Alpha Mfg Type 1: 2.920"
Alpha Mfg Type 2: 2.965"
Accurate Mag p/n 00100-0041 and 00100-0040: 2.950"

I just picked one up in 260 Remington, also. So far, I put a Timney Calvin Elite trigger in it and got the HS Precision DBM. I am waiting for Seekins 20 MOA scope base and bipod rail. I also ordered a set of accu-risers and will bed the action using them. Not sure about the scope, but have been considering the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44. I like those Spuhr mounts but damn, they are pretty proud of those puppies. I reload, so coming up with an accurate load shouldn't be a problem. My other .260 seems to like the 140 gr. Accubonds w/AA 4350 powder. I hope this one turns out to be a shooter, but I don't know yet.

How is yours shooting?

I just purchased a 5R in 300 win. mag. 26" ss barrel. have not shot it yet. have a vortex 6x25-50 mounted. 1st thing I did was have it glass bedded and added a jewel trigger 2 stage. also added a radial brake. can anyone tell me what to expect out of this gun accuracy, break in, bullet size. I have a 708 that can shoot 700 yds with, just wanted something bigger, that would kill something at 1000 yds. cant wait to get it to the range.

I have a gen 1 .308 20" that is a great rifle to shoot. Accurate with 175 gr FGMM. I have to go get it out the safe now.

A bit late but thanks for the input Padom and 308Pirate.

Mine is a sub MOA shooter when I'm doing my part. Haven't had much luck finding a tack driving load for it but it really likes Prime ammo.

I have the gen 2 308 24" barrel and it loves the FGMM 175 and 175 smks in general. I am also working on a load using 178 eldms. I put mine in a mcmillan A5 added a timney 510, apa little bastard and a burris xtr 5-25. I have hit 1000 yards a few times.

I have one in 308 with just a Timney 517 trigger upgrade nd cerakoted the barreled action FDE and added an MPA muzzle break and 20 moa rail. It's an absolute hammer. It loves the federal gold medal match 175s. So far I've stretched it out to 700 yards and hammered 12 inch steel squares and 66% ipsc targets. I also have one in 6.5 that I dropped in an MPA chassis. Still needs a 20moa rail, trigger, muzzle brake and optics before it sees the range

I know this thread is old but. I bought a new barrel from a 5r gen 2 over this winter for a steal. So I rebarreled a short action barrel was 22” but had to cut the barrel shoulder back to get the fatuous flutes to time up correct. true the action put a ptg recoil lug on now it’s more like a 20” barrel. Cerakote the barreled action midnight bronze and threw it in a gray or stock. It actually shoots great for being a factory barrel. Loves 147gr eld but only getting 2600-2625 with h4831sc and 2675fps same chargish with 140gr bthp.

I know this thread is old but. I bought a new barrel from a 5r gen 2 over this winter for a steal. So I rebarreled a short action barrel was 22” but had to cut the barrel shoulder back to get the fatuous flutes to time up correct. true the action put a ptg recoil lug on now it’s more like a 20” barrel. Cerakote the barreled action midnight bronze and threw it in a gray or stock. It actually shoots great for being a factory barrel. Loves 147gr eld but only getting 2600-2625 with h4831sc and 2675fps same chargish with 140gr bthp.
Speed seems good to me out of a 20”

Old thread but...

I have the gen 1 in .308, with replacing the trigger to a timney and trying my first craptacular home bedding job from YouTube (you don't want to be able to remove the action from the stock ever right? ?) my last outing had some .5 moa groups at 200 yards with 168 fgmm. Apart from that I added the wyatts detachable box magazine system. It works fine for my current needs, but I haven't run it hard or in any competitions.

A chassis would be a nice upgrade as the stock is starting to chip just behind the rear of the action with out any ninja rolling or crawling through the brush on my part.

Sorry to dredge up this nearly 1yr old thread but I just ordered my 700 Gen2 in 6.5CM as well as a Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56, Leupold base and rings. I'm really looking forward to shooting this gun and will post updates along the way. I was hoping by hitting this old thread again some others who've picked up the Gen 2 might chime in and give some pics or performance reports. Cheers.

5R Gen2 in 6.5 Creedmoor
KRG X-ray
Seekins 20 MOA base
Seekins 34mm rings
S&B PMII 5-25X56
Harris S-BRM
SAS Reaper

Still trying to decide what trigger to go with.

20180725_161603.jpg

The factory HS Precision stock is really nice, but I love the x-ray. Haven't had it to the range since I got Gen2 and S&B. Hopefully in the next week or so.

I wanted to see how everyones accuracy has been. I bought one in 300 win mag about a year ago and couldn't get a tighter group than 2 inches at 100 yards. I sent it back in for servicing through Remington and they confirmed accuracy issues. looks like a receiver and barrel swap from factory is what I was told. Anyone else having an issue with bad accuracy?

I have had a Gen2 in 308 for a few years but have only been able to put around 500 rounds through it. I shoot 175 FGMM around 3/4 moa, but expect better with more practice. Recently loaded up some 185 Juggernaut's and am expecting .5moa.

Mods:
Sanded the stock for more free-float clearance
Geissele Super 700
Lapped locking lugs

Reloader's: What loads are y'all using?

Just dropped my old 2006 Gen 1 in a KRG Bravo stock. , added a Tubbs bipod, and its a keeper for another 17 years! Leupold scope however must go in the very near future.

1549170957891.png

1549171026519.png

Reactions: TheChief
This thing shoots 5/8” with factory 175 FGMM. Shot great out the box. The only thing i have done is swapped in a Timney trigger. I keep it in the factory stock with the bdl floorplate to keep it light and handy relatively speaking. It has about 1200-1400 rds through it. Its also a hog killing machine.
E0FDAFEF-D492-4869-8BE2-79FF40293399.jpeg

Reactions: TheChief
I'm a Gen1 owner, so maybe I am bias. That said I doubt you will find any difference in opinions of Gen1 vs Gen2 owners. The upgrade options are essentially the same between Gen1 and Gen2, less the Gen1's need a few minor upgrades (treading depending on model, fluting if you want that, bolt knob, and cerakote) before they are the "same" as Gen2s. Other than that they are the same rifle.

You've already upgraded the trigger. If you spent the premium on a 5R there is not much point in messing with the barrel, other than adding a break or a can to your set up.

Upgrades left for you to do:
-Chassis/bottom metal upgrade for AICS magazines
-trueing the action
-8-40 tap/thread scope base
-Barrel upgrade, or remage/switch barrel system so you can have other barrels (7, 6.5, 6mm flavors)
-Suppressor and/or Muzzle Brake.

Personally, my first upgrade was an adjustable chassis with AICS system, I went with the XLR element, but there are many great options for you to choose from.

Planning to buy a Rem 700 5-R Gen 2 rifle... Was curious to find the difference between a Gen 1 and a Gen 2... Looks like it's just threading and fluting the barrel... bolt knob and cerakoting the barrel... So if a 5_R has a threaded/cerakoted barrel it is a Gen 2?

Remington makes both a tan and a green version of the Rem 700 5-R, yet they are listed completely seperately... Is the only difference the color of the stock and the cerakote color of the barrel?

Why do people replace the bottom metal to run AICS magazines? It's a bolt gun? Are the OEM magazines sub-par, or is it just a desire for more capacity?

Why would you tap the scope base to 8-40? I assume that is a larger thread than what they come with?

@__jb
The gen 1 5R have are bare stainless with black and greem stock. The gen 2 are the blak cerakoted with the tan and black stocks. The barrel is fluted and they also have an oversized bolt knob. The gen 2 24” model comes threaded at the muzzle while only the 20” gen 1 does.

I do not like an oversized bolt knob on a remington as the bolt is harder to cycle. The additional leverage tends to bind the bolt. I like the standard bolt knob of the gen 1 best.

As far as the magazines, it is just preference. I like the standard hinged floorplate best most of the time.

Been a while but I remember the main differences are the Gen 1's do not have the Xmark adjustable trigger or muzzel treading.

Been a while but I remember the main differences are the Gen 1's do not have the Xmark adjustable trigger or muzzel treading.
The gen 1 rifles have the xmark trigger as well. Its crisp just heavy and adjusts from excessively heavy all the way down to still too damn heavy.

That's weird mine does not have an XMark. Maybe the really early one don't. Had really good gunsmith do a trigger job on mine eons ago. Still one of my favorite triggers in the stable. Perfect 2.0 lbs

Reactions: wade2big
Two gen one in 223 here. Have had a third.
All three will would hold 1/2”@ 100
Primary extraction is timed correctly on my examples.
I like these. 69 and 52 SMKs fast are awesome.
Timney 510’s on all.
ETA I have had two in 308. I can’t shoot 308. 100% me, I suck.

Are there any smiths or shops out there selling these guns trued and that have the possibility of a trigger swap and chassis replace?

I’m trying to get back into shooting now that I have some time, but I’m being lazy starting out. I’m looking for the easiest way to get a rifle ready to go, figured a one stop shop would be it.

Appreciate any help ya’ll can offer.

Are there any smiths or shops out there selling these guns trued and that have the possibility of a trigger swap and chassis replace?

I’m trying to get back into shooting now that I have some time, but I’m being lazy starting out. I’m looking for the easiest way to get a rifle ready to go, figured a one stop shop would be it.

Trigger swaps are tapping out two pins. Swapping to a chassis is unscrewing two bolts. As far as truing the action, it isn’t necessary. You will be pleases how these things shoot out the box.

Honestly, best deal right now would be the APO Saber M700. They’re on sale for $700 for a 308 or $750 for 6.5 Creed:

@__jb
The gen 1 5R have are bare stainless with black and greem stock. The gen 2 are the blak cerakoted with the tan and black stocks. The barrel is fluted and they also have an oversized bolt knob. The gen 2 24” model comes threaded at the muzzle while only the 20” gen 1 does.

Thanks for the info @wade2big

I was confused because Buds Gun Shop has both the Tan and Green rifles listed as:
Remington 700 5-R Gen 2 6.5 CRD 24" 4+1 Synthetic HS

Apparently the green Rem 700 rifles are actually Gen 1's, not gen 2's... I'm going to a gun show in a couple of weeks and want to know how to tell the difference between a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 in case I can find a nice used one for sale.

Thanks for the info @wade2big

I was confused because Buds Gun Shop has both the Tan and Green rifles listed as:
Remington 700 5-R Gen 2 6.5 CRD 24" 4+1 Synthetic HS

Apparently the green Rem 700 rifles are actually Gen 1's, not gen 2's... I'm going to a gun show in a couple of weeks and want to know how to tell the difference between a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 in case I can find a nice used one for sale.
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but the easiest way to tell would be that the gen2 has a black cerakote finish and the gen1 is stainless. Gen 2 should be the tan stock.

Probably just a mess up with the images.

Now my question would be other than barrel length and fluting is the MagPul model 700 the same gen 2 gun in a MagPul stock?