• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Looking for first spotting scope

MR308W

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
Hi,

I want to buy my first spotting scope, this wil be used for target shooting.

At the moment and probably for the time coming i shoot .22 out to 200m and .223 and .308 at max 400m, so the scope should be capable to see the .22 on cardboard at 200m. This is only like 1 to 2 times a month on a range so no special requirements with weight etc...

I did research already but read so many different things, at the moment I am leaning towards the Athlon argos 20-60x85.
Anyone got some experience with this scope or is it better to save extra and go up to the ares or cronus? Other tips from brands that are interesting always welcome.

Thanks in advance

There’s a nice Leupold Gold ring in the PX. Also, I’d consider binos
My caution is, if you don’t spend some coin, the glass will be less than adequate at top magnification range.

I'd say buy a few big packs of Shoot-N-See targets for 22 on paper and roll the rest of your spotting scope budget into a better riflescope.

Our Birthday/Labor Day Sale started tonight at Midnight and runs through Monday at Midnight. All Athlon, Kowa, Meopta, Konus and Hawke Spotting Scopes will be on sale. The Athlon Optics Argos 20-60x85 HD - 45 Degree Spotting Scope will be reduced to only $319.99.
Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what spotter would be good for you

I have been very happy with my Tract Toric. I have the following model and can say it absolutely shames my Leupold MK 4 spotter.

TORIC UHD 27-55X80 Angled Spotting Scope​

here is a review on SH you might find interesting.