• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for ideas on a moving target

.30Nate

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2013
Lima ohio
I'm wanting to build a moving target that uses a garage door opener as the power source. I like the idea of using the remote to start, stop and reverse the target. I have a few ideas on this but nothing really set in stone just yet. I was hoping you guys had some thoughts or reference material to share. I have welders and most of the equipment and tools I would need to build something pretty nice.

I am not sure where you would be using the rig.

If it is for "occasional use" then what is easier is to find a range with pits and targets that raise and lower. Having someone in the pit with a target on a 8' post is great fun

The shooters get to shoot at the target being held up by the person in the pit.

The person in the pit can run, walk, sprint, turn, duck etc.

2 way FMRS radios for calling the drills are key.

Old 12v cordless drill, boat winch, string and some other "stuff". You have 2 speeds from the drill and other speed adjustments from the stepped pully you replace the chuck with.

It can be activated by any number of methods like the shock sensor used to start moving cover in this video.

I'm in the process of using a ATV winch and a pulley system to move 3 targets at one time... I'll post pics when I complete this task.

The benefits of using a ATV winch are clear...

*12 volt
*rugged
*cable included
*wireless remote on various models
*relatively cheap

Used in conjunction with a pulley system, achieving 3-5 mph is attainable.

I wanted to use steel. I have kinda given up on the opener idea and now thinking about using the ATV wench.

What type of rail system will it be pulled along.

Things to think about with ATV wench.
-Will it run in a "continuous loop"? ie forward= right and reverse= left.
-you will be hard pressed to get any distance out of the controller.
-the weight will be no problem for the motor but the duty time will. I think you will find you will burn up the motor quickly.

In my opinion (and its worth what you paid for it) I would use a tube rail system anchored in concrete footings and build a carriage with roller blade wheels. I would also use a bigger electric motor 3hp or so. You will still have to overcome some of the above hurdles. I have talked at length with Shannon down at K&M and looked at their setup. They found banging on the steel really took a toll on the carriage system hence the spring reactive targets.

I use three of these at our matches at Spearpoint. They are "sleds" made out of pvc with uprights for firring strips to hold cardboard targets. I have a spool with about 3/4ths mile of electric fence wire (18 ga I think) on it on the three point on my tractor. The spool is run by the tractors pto. We run three lanes at a time, 40 yds between targets. We start with the targets behind a bale or barrel then they go behind another bale or barrel 40 yds away. We can run at any speed from a walk, 5-6 mph, up to running coyote speed.
The key is to fasten the sleds on to the wire itself and not to each other. In other words you don't want the first sled pulling the rest, you want the wire pulling all three.
We usually run the wire around a post and back to the firing line to get the tractor out of the line of fire and communicate with the tractor operator by radio.

You could rig this same thing up on a ATV or vehicle rear wheel by jacking one side up.

Ha. The reason I ask is I thought I would try it in one of my ponds at the fish farm and use larger PVC.

Thought about trying a house cat? they go left, right, away, up trees, various speeds. Just kidding.