• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for info on Hornady factory ammo

NCHillbilly

Libertata Aut Morte
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2012
    The occupied states of America
    A friend of mine shoots Hornady 165gr GMX superformance in 308 win for a hunting rd, and asked if I knew how it was loaded or what it was loaded with, to try to replicate it. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the superformance powder that the factory uses differs from what is available commercially. Does anybody have any info regarding the load, or the powder? He wants me to load him a bunch, which I don't mind, but I would like to be able to match what he's been shooting.

The 165 gr GMX Superformance factory load that i pulled bullets from , had 44.4 gr of powder +/- a tenth or two. That was from the first lot , that grouped excellent, that i pulled down. The second lot,that i pulled bullets, had 45 gr of power +/- a tenth. I copied the 44.4 gr load using 168 gr vld and 168 gr Horn. HPBT.......both grouped around .75 @ 100 yards without trying very hard. (Factory load, grouped .50 to below.25 @100 yards) .......I' m aware that what we can buy and what hornaday loads factory with is/may be a tad different, but ive not ran into trouble copying their factory loads.

My advice is to pull a bullet and weigh the powder and work up to that weight. Make sure all powder is out of the factory load. Those 165 GMX loads are heavily compressed and all the powder hasnt just dumped out.

Good luck......im a big fan of superformance powder. It has worked real well for me.

Edit: Im interested in what you come up with. Please post your results.

The 165 gr GMX Superformance factory load that i pulled bullets from , had 44.4 gr of powder +/- a tenth or two. That was from the first lot , that grouped excellent, that i pulled down. The second lot,that i pulled bullets, had 45 gr of power +/- a tenth. I copied the 44.4 gr load using 168 gr vld and 168 gr Horn. HPBT.......both grouped around .75 @ 100 yards without trying very hard. (Factory load, grouped .50 to below.25 @100 yards) .......I' m aware that what we can buy and what hornaday loads factory with is/may be a tad different, but ive not ran into trouble copying their factory loads.

My advice is to pull a bullet and weigh the powder and work up to that weight. Make sure all powder is out of the factory load. Those 165 GMX loads are heavily compressed and all the powder hasnt just dumped out.

Good luck......im a big fan of superformance powder. It has worked real well for me.

Edit: Im interested in what you come up with. Please post your results.
    Thanks for the info. It may take a while before I'm able to post any results, as my buddy is procuring all the components to load his rounds. As soon as I have any info, I'll definitely post it.

It is a non commercial grade powder, typically blended powder that we cannot buy or create since they will not release the formula. The blends of powder vary by the type of cartridge. The Superformance powder being sold is not the same powder as used in most of their factory loads like the 308.

It is a non commercial grade powder, typically blended powder that we cannot buy or create since they will not release the formula. The blends of powder vary by the type of cartridge. The Superformance powder being sold is not the same powder as used in most of their factory loads like the 308.
    I thought that was what I remember reading sometime back.

(Factory load, grouped .50 to below.25 @100 yards) .......

If I had a factory load that grouped .5 to sub .25, I would buy all of that lot number that I could put my hands on and not reload.

As others have stated, manufacturers powders used in factory ammo may not be able to be duplicated, you can get close but could be a blend or a slightly different burn rate than what you can purchase. Perhaps run it over a chronograph and then try and match the velocity with the components you are using.

Reactions: Lunchbox27