• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for long range scope advise

williambmac

Greenhorn
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
roxbury nj
Good morning everyone. Noobie here with his first post, so please forgive any incorrect terminology. I am looking for recommendations on a long range scope.
I live in the wonderful state of NJ and shoot at a local range. They have two rifle ranges, one that goes to 100 yards and another that goes 200 to 300.
Unfortunately the longer range is usually only open on the weekends and only for a few hours. I spend most of my time at the handgun range, but do venture to the 100 yard rifle range on occasion. I do have have a number of long guns, but they are all equipted with inexpensive 3x9 scopes that are quite dated.

Lately I have been considering trying long range shooting and luckily for me, my brother has a huge piece of land in WV and it's only about 4 hours from me.
He has his property set up out to 1500 yards.

Now being totally new to this type of shooting, I've been lurking around here for the past 6 weeks or so reading up on things and must say I'm a little intimidated and confused.
Some of my reading was as to what power scope to start with, some say 3-18, 5-20 and 4.5-32.
Then comes the MOA vs. MIL. All of my scopes are MOA, but I am open to going MIL
Then there is what style of shooting, paper, steel, bench, mat etc.
Oh yeh i forgot FFP vs SFP. I am leaning towards FFP because my 50yo eyes aren't what they used to be.

The rifle I will be using is a brand new never been fired Remmington 700 SS MIL SPEC 5R. 24" barrel, .308. It has Badger Ordinance mount and 30mm rings and a Harris bipod.
I bought this back in 2013 from SniperCountyPX. It has been sitting in my gun safe since then.

I will mainly be shooting paper and steel from either a mat or sitting at a bench.

My budget is in the 1-2k range.

I was originally considering a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 with the ebr-2c reticle, but then read some say it's too busy for someone that is new to this kind of shooting.

I also was looking at several other scopes

Vortex razor gen II 4.5-27x56, the PST gen II 5-25x50
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Mil-C
US Optics TS 5-25x50 w/ JVCR

Razor gen II seems to have a decent following. Although they appear to be heavy, most that have them swear by them. can be had for 1999.00

PST gen II seems to have mixed opinions, and it seem like they have had some issues price 899.00

Nightforce NX8 some seem to be unhappy with the glass quality. price 2150.00

US Optics, Used to be great, now not so much, plus I can't find any reviews on the TS-25X. Chinese glass? 1095.00

I realize I'm not gonna walk out on the range and hit steel right off the bat, takes a lot of practice. I would rather spend a little more for better glass ( PST vs Razor).

Please don't recommend S&B/Steiner/Kahles. Although I would love to one, it's out of my price range.

Thanks everyone.

Call snipers hide vendors and tell them you heard about them here. You may be surprised what a gen II razor actually goes for.

Reactions: williambmac
If you have the budget, go with the Vortex Razor or something comparable. It is definitely worth your while to call (yes, call, as on the ancient device remembered as a telephone) Doug at CameralandNY - he invited you to do so above. He doesn't carry Vortex, but the higher-end Athlon scopes or similar that he does stock may well float your boat. Reticle choice is a very personal thing.

If you defintely want Vortex, check with Richard at CSTactical or Scott at Liberty Optics - both are also SH supporting vendors. CALL them. On the phone. Because MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) rules.

I've dealt with all these guys. Good people. Be sure to mention SH. You should be able to do better than $1900 on a Razor, but you may have to wait for delivery. Also, be sure to get good rings. The Vortex PMR rings are reasonably priced ($150 +/-).

I have owned, and still own, multiple copies of Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 and Razor 4.5-27x56. Again, if you have the budget, the Razor is a much more substantial optic than the Viper PST. I've also played with a few Athlon scopes - they're fine, but I'm familiar and comfortable with Vortex and I like the EBR-7C reticle. I also have a Zero Compromise Optics 5-27x56 scope - "alpha glass" for sure. It's wonderful. But you can get 90% of its goodness with a Razor or similar at half the cost.

Definitely go with FFP and mils. I converted to mils last year after a lifetime of MOA. The tipping point for me was discovering I had to spin the elevation turret further on an MOA Razor than on a mils Razor to get the same "up" change - it made a difference on the clock.

If the long-range bug bites you, it will cost you... but most hobbies do. Good luck. There is wisdom in the "buy once cry once" adage, but you should also accept that your preferences will evolve. Enjoy the ride.

If you have the budget, go with the Vortex Razor or something comparable. It is definitely worth your while to call (yes, call, as on the ancient device remembered as a telephone) Doug at CameralandNY - he invited you to do so above. He doesn't carry Vortex, but the higher-end Athlon scopes or similar that he does stock may well float your boat. Reticle choice is a very personal thing.

If you defintely want Vortex, check with Richard at CSTactical or Scott at Liberty Optics - both are also SH supporting vendors. CALL them. On the phone. Because MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) rules.

I've dealt with all these guys. Good people. Be sure to mention SH. You should be able to do better than $1900 on a Razor, but you may have to wait for delivery. Also, be sure to get good rings. The Vortex PMR rings are reasonably priced ($150 +/-).

I have owned, and still own, multiple copies of Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 and Razor 4.5-27x56. Again, if you have the budget, the Razor is a much more substantial optic than the Viper PST. I've also played with a few Athlon scopes - they're fine, but I'm familiar and comfortable with Vortex and I like the EBR-7C reticle. I also have a Zero Compromise Optics 5-27x56 scope - "alpha glass" for sure. It's wonderful. But you can get 90% of its goodness with a Razor or similar at half the cost.

Definitely go with FFP and mils. I converted to mils last year after a lifetime of MOA. The tipping point for me was discovering I had to spin the elevation turret further on an MOA Razor than on a mils Razor to get the same "up" change - it made a difference on the clock.

If the long-range bug bites you, it will cost you... but most hobbies do. Good luck. There is wisdom in the "buy once cry once" adage, but you should also accept that your preferences will evolve. Enjoy the ride.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'm 98% positive I'll be going with the Vortex Razor. Rings will most likely be of the Badger Ordinance.
I 'm used to having expensive hobbies. I own a Jeep!

might find a used ATACR 5-25 in the price range of the NX8. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for as it is better glass than the NX8 and lighter than the Razor gen II

I am confused by your FFP vs SFP statement. Why do you thing FFP will be better for your eyes? Normally SFP is better for bad eyes, just not desirable for tactical style shooting.

Any love for the Athlon Cronus BTR? I read a few reviews where they compare the glass to the razor.

Yes. I have the same rifle and she has worn a few different optics. For her weight / balance, I think the Razor is too heavy. Cronus is about max to retain balance, but an XTR3 or Mark5HD would be better. The NX8 is lighter still, but there is a question re: glass. I actually just ordered one today for a Tikka, but have yet to look through one. Glass comparisons between the rest are plentiful and are close enough that other factors likely weigh more heavily, but to my eyes, the Cronus is the best of the bunch.

Athlon is the new Vortex....ok, maybe a couple of years ago you could say that....Athlon has proven to be a very good company with some outstanding scopes. I'm partial to the Japanese built Cronus BTR...and now the Gen2 version. Built by LOW, the same place that builds the Vortex Razor Gen2 as well as some other higher end scopes. The Cronus BTR compares well to the Vortex....so much so that I sold a Vortex AMG for a 2nd Cronus BTR. I'm not interested in their Chinese built offerings, nor the Vortex Phillipines built scopes....and I don't have to break the bank for a Cronus. Athlon's reticles are great. I'm a big fan and I'd recommend them without hesitation.

Reactions: williambmac
I am leaning towards FFP because my 50yo eyes aren't what they used to be.

Why do you think FFP will be better for your eyes?

He'll soon figure it out when dialing down the magnification and can't read the reticle anymore... But then again, who really zooms out when shooting?;)

Last edited:
Reactions: kyzim311
Vortex Razor Gen 2 and Burris XTR3 would be high on my list. Great glass. Solid tracking. Comfortable eyebox. Good useable reticles. All will make learning to shoot LR more enjoyable.

a Leupold MK5 is in the same ball park but with more finicky eyebox.

Good morning everyone. Noobie here with his first post, so please forgive any incorrect terminology. I am looking for recommendations on a long range scope.
I live in the wonderful state of NJ and shoot at a local range. They have two rifle ranges, one that goes to 100 yards and another that goes 200 to 300.
Unfortunately the longer range is usually only open on the weekends and only for a few hours. I spend most of my time at the handgun range, but do venture to the 100 yard rifle range on occasion. I do have have a number of long guns, but they are all equipted with inexpensive 3x9 scopes that are quite dated.

Lately I have been considering trying long range shooting and luckily for me, my brother has a huge piece of land in WV and it's only about 4 hours from me.
He has his property set up out to 1500 yards.

Now being totally new to this type of shooting, I've been lurking around here for the past 6 weeks or so reading up on things and must say I'm a little intimidated and confused.
Some of my reading was as to what power scope to start with, some say 3-18, 5-20 and 4.5-32.
Then comes the MOA vs. MIL. All of my scopes are MOA, but I am open to going MIL
Then there is what style of shooting, paper, steel, bench, mat etc.
Oh yeh i forgot FFP vs SFP. I am leaning towards FFP because my 50yo eyes aren't what they used to be.

The rifle I will be using is a brand new never been fired Remmington 700 SS MIL SPEC 5R. 24" barrel, .308. It has Badger Ordinance mount and 30mm rings and a Harris bipod.
I bought this back in 2013 from SniperCountyPX. It has been sitting in my gun safe since then.

I will mainly be shooting paper and steel from either a mat or sitting at a bench.

My budget is in the 1-2k range.

I was originally considering a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 with the ebr-2c reticle, but then read some say it's too busy for someone that is new to this kind of shooting.

I also was looking at several other scopes

Vortex razor gen II 4.5-27x56, the PST gen II 5-25x50
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Mil-C
US Optics TS 5-25x50 w/ JVCR

Razor gen II seems to have a decent following. Although they appear to be heavy, most that have them swear by them. can be had for 1999.00

PST gen II seems to have mixed opinions, and it seem like they have had some issues price 899.00

Nightforce NX8 some seem to be unhappy with the glass quality. price 2150.00

US Optics, Used to be great, now not so much, plus I can't find any reviews on the TS-25X. Chinese glass? 1095.00

I realize I'm not gonna walk out on the range and hit steel right off the bat, takes a lot of practice. I would rather spend a little more for better glass ( PST vs Razor).

Please don't recommend S&B/Steiner/Kahles. Although I would love to one, it's out of my price range.

Thanks everyone.
You could find a nightforce atacr for barely more than your budget, check out leica scopes, i just recieved their amplus, im shocked how nice the glass is.

For refrence, i have a nf atacr, leica amplus, schmidt bender zenith, zeiss conquest, and several older leupolds.

The zenith is a awesome scope also, tracks awesome as well. Just does not have exposed turrets and i think that may be more what u are looking for.

while my choice may not be yours I choose either a 10x50 or 5x50 for everything Its wonderful to have the extra mag at your finger tips even if you decide you don't want to use it all and pay less than others when they only have a 5x25 . best of luck with whatever you decide to get .