• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

looking for lr advice

brushcountryghost

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
wyoming
I am a somewhat novice shooter when it comes to shooting 1000 plus yards . I am comfortably shooting out to 800 yards accurately and am wanting to know if there is any tips/ tricks i need to know to extend that range to around 1500 yards. Any help is appreciated

Re: looking for lr advice

What cartridge? I have found that once you go past 7-800yd range, reading wind, & fundamentals are key. You can get away with marginal fundamentals @ shorter range, but out there every little thing you don't do perfectly is magnified a hundred fold. Start slow, & stretch out a few hundred yd at a time, & practice a lot.

If you are truly comfortable shooting out to 800 yards accurately, then you can shoot to 1500 yards, just concentrate on the fundamentals.

At further distances accurate wind calls are even more important. I would suggest getting a friend to stand out at extended distances with a Kestrel and a com device. Look through a spotting scope and have him measure the wind speeds to you, and you can read the mirage to get better at calling wind.

I am shooting a 308 with a 168 grn berger handload. I am in wyoming where the wind never stops blowing so finding a day to do some lr shooting is few and far between. Judging wind will probably be the most difficult part of the equation i think

With a 308, & 168's I'd first suggest running your load through a ballistic calculator, assuming you haven't already, & see where it goes trans sonic. Then the next chance you get set up a target a couple hundred yds farther than that, & make sure the bullet remains stable through the transition. it will either stay on course, or it will tumble, & drop out of the sky. should be easy to tell the difference.
As I shoot 225's in a 300WM I have no experience with the 168 VLD, but I know the 168 SMK will tumble as reported by many HP shooters. If it won't transition you need to go with a 175ish, or heavier, &/or get a bigger cartridge.
You might get a reply from some one who has had the 168 VLD beyond SS range who can tell you whether it will work or not.